POE Security Cam Crew - NVR vs Blue Iris

Wilddog

OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2006
Canada
Trying to decide between Blue Iris with some amcrest/loryta/empiretech turrets.
Or just go for a NVR system like hikvision, reolink(lol?), or annke.

Looking for something with good stability, ease of use and mobile app. I've read Blue Iris can have stability issues and need regular maintenance.
Also, camera locations are fully illuminated or motion lit at night.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
if you like tweaking a lot of settings go with BI, if you just want it to work, go with a dedicated NVR.

i want to take a look at unv/uniview NVRs and cameras for a 'turn key' solution when someone asks me for a camera recommendation. if i tell them to go with a pc setup (BI, for example) then i'll end up being the tech support for that system anytime they have a BI question. also, you have to play the compatibility game with cameras (although most IP cameras will work with BI, but some specific settings may not work). for example, the camera can do motion, but BI may not be fully compatible with motion with that specific camera model.

those are the 16 channel options, but make sure you price out an NVR that does what you need, they are not all the same.

Reactions: Wilddog
TS
TS
Wilddog

Wilddog

OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2006
Canada
if you like tweaking a lot of settings go with BI, if you just want it to work, go with a dedicated NVR.

i want to take a look at unv/uniview NVRs and cameras for a 'turn key' solution when someone asks me for a camera recommendation. if i tell them to go with a pc setup (BI, for example) then i'll end up being the tech support for that system anytime they have a BI question. also, you have to play the compatibility game with cameras (although most IP cameras will work with BI, but some specific settings may not work). for example, the camera can do motion, but BI may not be fully compatible with motion with that specific camera model.

those are the 16 channel options, but make sure you price out an NVR that does what you need, they are not all the same.
I don't mind spending time tweaking BI, I just don't want to have to constantly think about it after it's dialed in.
I hear what you're saying about camera compatibility, seems like Amcrest has the best compatibility with BI.

Does Uniview have AI functionality? I like having my phone pinged when a person/vehicle is detected.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
I don't mind spending time tweaking BI, I just don't want to have to constantly think about it after it's dialed in.
I hear what you're saying about camera compatibility, seems like Amcrest has the best compatibility with BI.

Does Uniview have AI functionality? I like having my phone pinged when a person/vehicle is detected.

their NVRs should have that ability but the camera should also have that ability. i would recommend nelly's support, they are great the few times i've had questions. just ask them in the chat (i assume you can also call). tell them you want an NVR and your main question is AI, they will recommend cameras and the NVR.

don't get a kit NVR that comes with all of the same cameras, you may want some shots to be tight and some to be wide. or you may want some cameras to be better for night/low light where other cameras that may not be a concern and you just want a good image and there will be enough light.

also consider that some NVR options will come with a built in switch and PoE vs an NVR not having a built in switch and/or PoE and you simply provide your own switch with PoE.

my biggest concern with BI is that if you don't have the proper hardware you'll have issues with live view and have other restrictions. the same is true with a dedicated NVR, but you can talk to support and they'll recommend an NVR that should do what you want it to do.

you can also research BI and ask online and you'll get good answers (and plenty of youtube videos with BI setups) i just think there is a lot of tweaking and i'm not a fan. i bought the full version of BI and ran it for a bit, but it wasn't for me. you can do AI with BI, but you have to set up additional profiles/video streams and that was something i wasn't interested in.

i'm not recommending unifi, but you may want to look if that checks your boxes. unifi AI is on (the camera has to support it) and it detects people, vehicles and motion. many people say that unifi cameras are too much money for the quality. i'm happy with the quality but they are a bit expensive for what you get. i hate the unifi protect GUI, but the good news is that they do make changes with software updates. i'd guess that you get more software updates from UI that UNV, but i have never used UNV, but am strongly considering for those 'turn key' recommendations if/when people ask.

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
I've been running BlueIris for the better part of a decade now. I have never had any stability issues with it.
I've been using it for 5-6 years without issue as well. Once you get your motion/detection zones mapped it's pretty much hassle free other than remembering to reboot the box it's running on every few months.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
nothing against BI, there are plenty that use it and like it a lot. it just wasn't the solution that i wanted to recommend to non tech savvy friends/family.

amill94

OT ELITE iirc
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
nothing against BI, there are plenty that use it and like it a lot. it just wasn't the solution that i wanted to recommend to non tech savvy friends/family.
100% this. I would not recommend it if you aren't a tech kind of person. I'd go NVR for that type of person every single time.

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
So do these upload to the cloud right away?
What if somebody just grabs the NVR

also, some cameras can accept SD cards and you can install an SD card (micro) in the camera and have it record all video or motion video to the local SD card and it will also send the video feed to the NVR. if someone did take the NVR you'd have the local video on the SD card. if your cameras are being powered by the built in switch in the NVR obviously they'd stop recording to the SD card as soon as the NVR was removed/taken, but they would continue to record to the SD card if the NVR was removed and you were not using the NVR to power the cameras and had a dedicated PoE switch.

Reactions: unrealdigital
TS
TS
Wilddog

Wilddog

OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2006
Canada
I've been using it for 5-6 years without issue as well. Once you get your motion/detection zones mapped it's pretty much hassle free other than remembering to reboot the box it's running on every few months.
I've been running BlueIris for the better part of a decade now. I have never had any stability issues with it.

I'm happy to spend time shaking down the setup. I just don't want another "hobby" to deal with, like the Home Assistant crew.

What cameras are you guys running?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: xconverge
TS
TS
Wilddog

Wilddog

OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2006
Canada
their NVRs should have that ability but the camera should also have that ability. i would recommend nelly's support, they are great the few times i've had questions. just ask them in the chat (i assume you can also call). tell them you want an NVR and your main question is AI, they will recommend cameras and the NVR.

don't get a kit NVR that comes with all of the same cameras, you may want some shots to be tight and some to be wide. or you may want some cameras to be better for night/low light where other cameras that may not be a concern and you just want a good image and there will be enough light.

also consider that some NVR options will come with a built in switch and PoE vs an NVR not having a built in switch and/or PoE and you simply provide your own switch with PoE.

my biggest concern with BI is that if you don't have the proper hardware you'll have issues with live view and have other restrictions. the same is true with a dedicated NVR, but you can talk to support and they'll recommend an NVR that should do what you want it to do.

you can also research BI and ask online and you'll get good answers (and plenty of youtube videos with BI setups) i just think there is a lot of tweaking and i'm not a fan. i bought the full version of BI and ran it for a bit, but it wasn't for me. you can do AI with BI, but you have to set up additional profiles/video streams and that was something i wasn't interested in.

i'm not recommending unifi, but you may want to look if that checks your boxes. unifi AI is on (the camera has to support it) and it detects people, vehicles and motion. many people say that unifi cameras are too much money for the quality. i'm happy with the quality but they are a bit expensive for what you get. i hate the unifi protect GUI, but the good news is that they do make changes with software updates. i'd guess that you get more software updates from UI that UNV, but i have never used UNV, but am strongly considering for those 'turn key' recommendations if/when people ask.

Yeah, I setup Omada in the house because I can't justify Ubiquiti prices for a home I'll be leaving in the relatively near future.

I have a suitable dell optiplex for BI, but setting up a virtual machine and dialing everything in is my fear. Might go your route, just buy a license and mess with it. If I don't like it I'll go NVR.

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
setting up BI is more involved than an NVR, but it's not challenging, just involves some time. Anyone remotely technical could figure it out. And once it's working, it just hums along and doesn't need any tinkering (assuming the server is running on reliable hw).

Reactions: FlyNReeLow

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
I'm happy to spend time shaking down the setup. I just don't want another "hobby" to deal with, like the Home Assistant crew.

i would also recommend UNV cameras, at least take a look

nothing wrong with dahua and there is plenty support on forums (ipcamtalk) but dahua are often rebranded @FlyNReeLow can send you the amazon guy's name, i believe it is empireandy or something like that. while i like the camera and he is very good at support/answering questions, you are dealing with a rebranded camera.

i like unv/uniview because you can grab the firmware from their site.

i like turret and bullet style (turret then bullet) i will never install another dome unless that is my only option for what i'm trying to cover (basically, a specialty camera).

unrealdigital

OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2005
What do you guys think of his recommendations?

Cliffs:

471-B9-CCA-E3-B8-49-BA-BF27-308-FC54-FFD36.png

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦

I have some oldies.. dahua ... chinese deals... believe they went at Costco under the name QSee

El Beaner

Whale wrangler extraordinaire
OT Supporter
Jul 18, 2002
Dallas, TX
In on this for later. My security contract is up in 6 months and I'm going to install poe cameras vs having a centralized company

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman