ART Post your photography gripes here

Valence

Just a dude, playing a dude, playing another dude.
OT Supporter
If it's one thing I can't stand it is the current trendy use of an EXTREMELY shallow DOF and people blurring out 98 % of the photo. My personal preference is that of clear, focused, and sharp, through most of the photo. Shallow DOF is completely overdone and used up - to the point it is annoying. To me I rate it's annoyance up there with people who STILL say "I'm Rick James BITCH". In small amounts, it can be tasteful and add to a photo, much like HDR. Just like HDR though, it's becomes way overdone and taken to such an extreme it is worthless.

2nd grip. WHY OH WHY did I lose ALL of my B&W film photography work? Prints, negatives, and even slides are just gone. I had binders of the stuff. Moving each year and years of college and one hellacious break up means a lot of stuff I used to have I can't find. Sadly, that's what I miss most.

/rant. What is your main photography grip (s) ?

Last edited:

W.Shatner

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
Trend? It's called photography. Get over it. No way does this fall along the same lines as the over use of HDR. DOF used to isolate your subject matter should that be your shot is just using one aspect of the trade. Not as if you would shoot landscape wide open it's a tool and Sir so are you for making such a ridiculous statement.

I'm Rick James Bitch.

Sympathy

Mar 18, 2006
I hate the fact that no one gives sony A-series users any respect.
When someone pulls out a sony dslr to shoot with, they get smirks and chuckles. No respect on flickr, picasa, and definitely no respect on OTAP. :wtc:

mikeskillz

Jun 30, 2006
how poorly digital handles highlights, and how quickly digital cameras are replaced every year.

GlobeGuy

Jun 14, 2004
I hate the fact that no one gives sony A-series users any respect.
When someone pulls out a sony dslr to shoot with, they get smirks and chuckles. No respect on flickr, picasa, and definitely no respect on OTAP. :wtc:
Are you on Sony?

ericande

Feb 9, 2007
How every Sony user wants respect when everyone knows they are not even close to being on the same level as Nikon or even Canon.

TS
TS
Valence

Valence

OT Supporter
Shallow DOF is ok if not over done.
Correct, my comment is geared towards those who seem to overboard with it.
everything is subjective
Correct, which is why I said post YOUR photography gripes.
frick yes dead on...

I hate babies that complain about retarded crap like this. WHO FREAKING CARES! It in no way affects you!
It does affect me on a deep dark and dirty level of which you have no idea. :eek3:
Trend? It's called photography. Get over it. No way does this fall along the same lines as the over use of HDR. DOF used to isolate your subject matter should that be your shot is just using one aspect of the trade. Not as if you would shoot landscape wide open it's a tool and Sir so are you for making such a ridiculous statement.

I'm Rick James Bitch.

:squint: for those with the Rick James comments. It's a trend, plain and simple, and like I said, it's something I feel is abused and overused. That's the whole point, to explain what you see all the time in photography these days and why you don't like it. Just like people taking pictures of their civic are a dime a dozen, so goes the plethora of pics with EXTREMELY shallow DOF. All the time.

How every Sony user wants respect when everyone knows they are not even close to being on the same level as Nikon or even Canon.

While I wouldn't own a Sony simply because they are not as established in the DSLR market YET I might own one in the future.

TS
TS
Valence

Valence

OT Supporter
I'd call myself an amateur photographer, just doing it as a hobby. If I tell someone I like photography, they immediately tell me they love it too and then proceed to show me their auto P&S and expect me to go "ohh, cool!, that's a really good camera!"

that's more in the spirit I was looking for when I created this thread.

I hear the same thing when people find out I'm an IT guy. They immediately launch into "So my computer is doing this weird thing every time I ...."

GlobeGuy

Jun 14, 2004
I hear the same thing when people find out I'm an IT guy. They immediately launch into "So my computer is doing this weird thing every time I ...."
LOL, at least their question is not completely out of the ballpark since you told them you are an IT guy. I tell people I'm a software developer and they ask me questions about their laptop and shit. I'm like "Uh... I make SDKs/APIs and shit, not research laptops..."

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan