TECH powerbook g4 os install question

fukijama1

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
i tried my macbook tiger install disc and no go. i read that it has a intel kernel or something and it wont work on a powerbook g4?.

next i tried a leopard install disc and it gets to a black screen and i see the cursor and later turns to the beachball...all while the dvd is reading/ its sounding busy

TS
TS

fukijama1

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
negative....thats what i tried ..i think i need the tiger disc thats black and not the one that comes with the last gen macbook

Pitt

1-1-11 — Never Forget
OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2003
Injured Reserve
yeah, any disc that came with a mac is keyed to that model type.

if you're trying to install leopard on the powerbook you need the generic leopard upgrade disc.

and if you have it to burn, you either need a dual layer dvd or a firewire drive. (or theres ways of compressing it for a single layer dvd, but I didn't want to mess around too much)

TS
TS

fukijama1

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
i think i have a generic leopard upgrade disc. thing is it lets me boot. then just gets stuck with the beachball after like 5 mins. just trying to get this to boot into an OS. dont matter if its leopard or tiger. just needs to work

omgwtfbbqryan

OT Supporter
Aug 22, 2003
CA
if i ever have trouble with installs (with the computer struggling to read the disc or something like that) i just put boot from external hd or ipod and it works flawlessly

TS
TS

fukijama1

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
i got it to work....found the original disc of the powerbook g4. laptop works agian!

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor