FIT Pre-Workout Supplements: Do you take them and are they worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortfeasor

Oct 29, 2009
I've taken No-explode, White Flood, and Super Pump over the years. I'm starting to think they are just a waste of money and I'd be better off drinking a cup of coffee and take some L-Arginine to replicate it.

Abomb

Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX
yeah I got this pre work out supplement called "italian revenge"

its 1 scoop waixy maize
1 scoop whey protein
couple scoops of creatine
sometimes a scoop or two of l-argine
and ill pop some l-tyrosine and caffeine if im feeling sluggish

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
arginine is a waste too

J Nutr. 2010 Dec 29.

Bolus Arginine Supplementation Affects neither Muscle Blood Flow nor Muscle Protein Synthesis in Young Men at Rest or After Resistance Exercise.

Tang JE, Lysecki PJ, Manolakos JJ, Macdonald MJ, Tarnopolsky MA, Phillips SM.

Department of Kinesiology, Exercise Metabolism Research Group, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1, Canada.
Abstract

The aim of this study was to investigate the ergogenic potential of arginine on NO synthesis, muscle blood flow, and skeletal muscle protein synthesis (MPS). Eight healthy young men (22.1 ± 2.6 y, 1.79 ± 0.06 m, 76.6 ± 6.2 kg; mean ± SD) participated in 2 trials where they performed a bout of unilateral leg resistance exercise and ingested a drink containing either 10 g essential amino acids with 10 g l-arginine (ARG) or an isonitrogenous control (CON). Femoral artery blood flow of both the nonexercised and exercised leg was measured continuously using pulsed-wave Doppler ultrasound, while rates of mixed and myofibrillar MPS were determined using a primed continuous infusion of l-[ring-(13)C(6)] or l-[ring-(2)H(5)]phenylalanine. The plasma arginine concentration increased 300% during the ARG trial but not during the CON trial (P < 0.001). Plasma nitrate, nitrite, and endothelin-1, all markers of NO synthesis, did not change during either the ARG or CON trial. Plasma growth hormone increased to a greater degree after exercise in the ARG trial than CON trial (P < 0.05). Femoral artery blood flow increased 270% above basal in the exercised leg (P < 0.001) but not in the nonexercised leg, with no differences between the ARG and CON trials. Mixed and myofibrillar MPS were both greater in the exercised leg compared with the nonexercised leg (P < 0.001), but did not differ between the ARG and CON treatments. We conclude that an oral bolus (10 g) of arginine does not increase NO synthesis or muscle blood flow. Furthermore, arginine does not enhance mixed or myofibrillar MPS either at rest or after resistance exercise beyond that achieved by feeding alone.

Abomb

Feb 22, 2005
Houston, TX
arginine is a waste too

J Nutr. 2010 Dec 29.

Bolus Arginine Supplementation Affects neither Muscle Blood Flow nor Muscle Protein Synthesis in Young Men at Rest or After Resistance Exercise.

Department of Kinesiology, Exercise Metabolism Research Group, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1, Canada.
Abstract

The aim of this study was to investigate the ergogenic potential of arginine on NO synthesis, muscle blood flow, and skeletal muscle protein synthesis (MPS). Eight healthy young men (22.1 ± 2.6 y, 1.79 ± 0.06 m, 76.6 ± 6.2 kg; mean ± SD) participated in 2 trials where they performed a bout of unilateral leg resistance exercise and ingested a drink containing either 10 g essential amino acids with 10 g l-arginine (ARG) or an isonitrogenous control (CON). Femoral artery blood flow of both the nonexercised and exercised leg was measured continuously using pulsed-wave Doppler ultrasound, while rates of mixed and myofibrillar MPS were determined using a primed continuous infusion of l-[ring-(13)C(6)] or l-[ring-(2)H(5)]phenylalanine. The plasma arginine concentration increased 300% during the ARG trial but not during the CON trial (P < 0.001). Plasma nitrate, nitrite, and endothelin-1, all markers of NO synthesis, did not change during either the ARG or CON trial. Plasma growth hormone increased to a greater degree after exercise in the ARG trial than CON trial (P < 0.05). Femoral artery blood flow increased 270% above basal in the exercised leg (P < 0.001) but not in the nonexercised leg, with no differences between the ARG and CON trials. Mixed and myofibrillar MPS were both greater in the exercised leg compared with the nonexercised leg (P < 0.001), but did not differ between the ARG and CON treatments. We conclude that an oral bolus (10 g) of arginine does not increase NO synthesis or muscle blood flow. Furthermore, arginine does not enhance mixed or myofibrillar MPS either at rest or after resistance exercise beyond that achieved by feeding alone.

ok so then for supplements:

only fish oil, multi vitamin, and creatine? :rofl:

kronik85

Feb 8, 2005
Deutschland
arginine is a waste too

J Nutr. 2010 Dec 29.

Abstract

so why are my cock muscles bigger on arg :squint:

{hydro}

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2005
Upstate CA
I take hypershock and it's fucking amazing. Just gives me an extra boost.

I'd like to stop taking caffeine all together pretty soon so I'm not dependent on something to wake me up/make me feel energized because working out and eating well does that anyways.

Rellik

Feb 2, 2005
i read a study that protein supplementation before vs after workout has 3 times more effect on muscle size than after workout protiein, based on a study involving different groups cycling and later muscle biopsies from the leg muscle

BigBlind

There is only one way to become champion; never fu
OT Supporter
May 17, 2007
Asgard
i read a study that protein supplementation before vs after workout has 3 times more effect on muscle size than after workout protiein, based on a study involving different groups cycling and later muscle biopsies from the leg muscle

sweet zelda, link

georgexi

o.O
OT Supporter
Jul 13, 2005
PA
which multi-vit do u guys take?
i'm currently taking Centrum you pick up at Walmart but i'm sure there's much better alternatives out there

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000

Those studies are usually based on fasted subjects, which isn't relevant unless you're training first thing in the morning. Anyway, here's a new article on the matter: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/pre-vs-post-workout-nutrition-qa.html

silver60

OT Supporter
May 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
currently taking superpump...was 1/2 off at vitamin shoppe....I feel no difference from it, even took 2 scoops once, nothing.

any thoughts?

now I have 3 tubs of it, at least it tastes good as hell: blue raspberry ftw

Mass

Jan 11, 2004
also, look at what time you work out and what time you need to be in bed. I hit the gym around 4:30 or 5 but I need to be in bed by 11:30 for work, and stuff with a lot of 1,3 in it kept me awake at night, so I actually like the milder ones like white flood that won't leave me so cracked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor