GUN Prioritized SHTF retrieval list

JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
So I was thinking, if you were away from home (say, an hour's drive away or something) and the SHTF, you'd probably want to go home to get your supplies. In my thought-process, maybe you get there and discover that it's probably not safe to stay more than a few minutes.

I realize a BOB would be ideal in this situation, but I'm trying to come up with a prioritized list of things to grab. So start at the top and keep gathering until it's no longer safe to stay.

Here's a brief start; how would you guys modify it?

Guns - must defend self first
Ammo - need ammo for guns
Food - Must eat
Water - Must drink
GPS - Must be able to locate self
Pets - Can't be a dick and leave the animals. Plus dogs serve as early warning
Pet food - Animals must eat.
First aid - Duh
Batteries - For flash light and GPS
Long pants - In case hiking is necessary
Boots - Better in the rough
Socks - Feet wear out
Underwear - Yes
Toilet paper - Duh
Flashlight - Because I can't afford NVGs
Toiletries - Duh
Meds - Also duh
Moleskin - Because feet wear out

GarandBobcat

Jan 21, 2007
Merced Co., CA
water, food, clothing (including footwear, raingear, etc), meds, then weapon (including ammo), other tools, etc.

Obviously this is pretty general, and given that this is WMD, probably heretical. But it doesn't matter whether you have your AR/AK/Mini-14/K98/Rem700/whatever or your handgun of choice, or shotgun, if you die of dehydration. Or starvation (because I doubt that all that many WMDers actually have hunted with the firearms they own. Not saying none, just not all that many. Or exposure. Etc....

And to all the "I have a gun, I can take everything else I need/want!" types, just remember: 50% of American households have at least 1 gun, and it only takes 1 bullet of any size to kill you, no matter how good you are.

oh, I'd toss in a few local maps (maybe a topo map) and compass somewhere in there. GPS needs batteries, compass only needs the planet Earth to work. Preferably, I'd get one of those tritium lensatic GI-type compasses, but that's probably unnecessary. As long as you can do basic orienteering, you're probably fine, unless you choose to go wandering the deep woods aimlessly, in which case, well, good luck to ya :ugh2:

Keesh

Oct 26, 2003
I always have water, some food, plus warm clothes/change of clothes in my car. If you have your gun on you at all times, great. But in the BOB, there are plenty of more 'practical' things than a gun and a ton of ammo.

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
You guys have made some good points. A compass would be good to have too, certainly. Must get two.

BTW - I was not suggesting a BOB full of ammo. How much stuff to grab would depend on the situation.

Flood waters rising but roads to and from residence still navigable for at least a few hours? Grab everyfuckingthing.

Red Dawn-esque commies parachuting from the sky whilst neighbors turn mysteriously to zombies? Water, food, AR+ammo, pistol+ammo, boots, and go.

Etc.

Any other additions?

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
Would probably throw some sort of waterproof socks, gloves. Since you most likely wont have time to dry out your shoes if your on the run, and wet for a really long time is a bad thing

GarandBobcat

Jan 21, 2007
Merced Co., CA
Yep. Clothing and gear for varying and inclement weather is a good thing to have.
Also maybe something like a lightweight tarp--can be used for a whole shitload of things, from shelter to clothing to water gathering.

Emfuser

Ghost of OT Past
OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2002
Irmo, SC
So I was thinking, if you were away from home (say, an hour's drive away or something) and the SHTF, you'd probably want to go home to get your supplies. In my thought-process, maybe you get there and discover that it's probably not safe to stay more than a few minutes.

I realize a BOB would be ideal in this situation, but I'm trying to come up with a prioritized list of things to grab. So start at the top and keep gathering until it's no longer safe to stay.

Here's a brief start; how would you guys modify it?

Guns - must defend self first
Ammo - need ammo for guns
Food - Must eat
Water - Must drink
GPS - Must be able to locate self
Pets - Can't be a dick and leave the animals. Plus dogs serve as early warning
Pet food - Animals must eat.
First aid - Duh
Batteries - For flash light and GPS
Long pants - In case hiking is necessary
Boots - Better in the rough
Socks - Feet wear out
Underwear - Yes
Toilet paper - Duh
Flashlight - Because I can't afford NVGs
Toiletries - Duh
Meds - Also duh
Moleskin - Because feet wear out

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
Nice, Em. Will read.

Play the Cerenkov glow-stick game with any n00bs lately? :rofl:

Navvik

Aug 21, 2006
Saint Paul, Minnesota
What about some sort of trade good? Like smokes, or maybe tobacco seeds or silk or linen or some shit? What does OT think about that? obviously not a vault's worth of shit, but a little something to trade with if youve been out so long you're running low on other supplies?

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
I would say dogs are a luxury and should only be considered when every other thing is already covered.

Dogs give you warnings to predators, dogs can help you hunt, dogs can track for you, dogs protect you while you sleep (are you not going to sleep?)

I would ditch my GF and kids over my dog if I was running outta food.

idleprocess

Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I was going to mention that site - especially the 5 minute, hour, 12 hour, and 5-day disaster plans.

WMD sure loves their weaponry, but unless you're preparing specifically for prolonged riots, zombie outbreak, or an inexplicable permanent breakdown of organized civilization, firearms and associated gear should neither be at the top of your list for disaster preparedness nor dominate your preparations. Shelter, water, food, and first aid should be your first concern before you start worrying about defending yourself from marauding homo sapiens since lack of any or all of those will kill you in a prolonged diasaster while there is no such guarantee that your fellow man will do as much. A handgun, spare magazines, and maybe a box of ammo are about all that need to be added to the average bug-out bag stocked with the previous 4 essentials.

Everyone loves their doggahs, but how useful are they going to be in a disaster situation? Most dogs are too docile and too accustomed to regular helpings of Alpo to be useful as guardians or hunting companions should the shit and the fan come into contact at speed. Any dog that reaches the point of fending for itself will have also joined a pack and gone ferral.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor