ART Probably pretty obvious, but a 50mm is not ideal on a crop body + NY pics

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
I've had the thrifty fifty for a few months now and it's just not wide enough on my 40D. I've been able to take good pictures with it, but I've had to go extremely out of my way for some of them :rofl:

Here are some from NY--feel free to C&C:

DDvQYl.jpg

xjAEKl.jpg

ueBYTl.jpg

dV8Mml.jpg

5 (when the buildings are straight, the statue is totally crooked...not sure how to fix this :rofl:)
eM7tRl.jpg

6 (set my focus on the statue...it ended up focusing on the sky :hs: )
EGTWul.jpg

PXXesl.jpg

eGV6Bl.jpg

auXLhl.jpg

Waddup you?

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2002
Sandy Eggo
concentrate on a particular thing that spells out "NY!" with that lens. or for a scene, you could stitch several shots to make one shot, like a panoramic shot. panoramic shots dont have to be of a landscape

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
50mm on a crop is pretty worthless...i'm actually considering getting rid of mine because I just don't ever use it.
:werd: i jsut sold mine because between my 35 and 85...i never used it...ever.

right after i got my 50 1.4, i got a 35L, and since then i never mounted the 50 except on maybe one or two occasions.

huntz0r

Apr 18, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'm actually thinking about selling my 50 and my 35 :o

I just don't use either one. An 85 or 20 would be a lot more useful to me I think. (on crop digital and on film too)

johnbriner

Apr 26, 2011
Cool pictures, I'm sure you'll do better than those, just keep on taking pictures and practice! Looking forward for the updates! Thanks for sharing!

jsmonet

egg
Sep 20, 2002
so cali
I love 85 on fool frame, so 50 on a crop seems useful. :dunno:

you would think that, right?

i *hated* my 50 on my crop cam. i'm ok with it on full frame, but bored. and now i *love* my 85 on ff.

//is it too p.o.t.n. to say "ff"? i'm lazy

i can't justify that opinion. i just can't. it doesn't even make sense to me.

MB300E87

Jun 4, 2001
California
I bought a 50mm 1.4 a few weeks ago and barely use it :(

I think i'm stuck in this mode where i want to capture the entire subject in my shot rather than interesting parts of the subject.

TS
TS
hootpie

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
I bought a 50mm 1.4 a few weeks ago and barely use it :(

I think i'm stuck in this mode where i want to capture the entire subject in my shot rather than interesting parts of the subject.

That's what happens to me. I think getting it was still a good idea because it forces me out of my comfort zone. There's a lot more thought in terms of my positioning and how I compose pictures as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan