CAR Protection for peeling chrome

jaspirr

Jul 16, 2008
Delaware
I bought a car a few months ago. It had these somewhat obnoxious 20" chrome wheels on it when I bought it. I wasn't a big fan of them but apparently they're worth like $4000 so I'm keeping them around. Anyway, two of the wheels have a bit of pitting and peeling around the center caps. If I sent them to get fixed somewhere it would be hundreds of dollars. I'm looking for a less expensive way to protect them and keep them from peeling any more than they already are. I'd prefer to completely fix them but I don't think there is any way to spot-fix and the whole wheels would have to be re-done, so I might be stuck with just a "prevent more damage" strategy for now.

1165844693_photobucket_45628_.jpg

1165844693_photobucket_45629_.jpg

You can see in the second picture that a bit of the chrome is actually missing revealing the ugly gray underneath. I really don't want that to expand any further.

Is there any product to protect these wheels and keep them from getting any worse? Is there any repair option other than a complete wheel refinish?

BlazinBlazer Guy

Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.
Jul 24, 2002
Lansing, MI USA
Not much you can do, honestly. Once the chrome plating has been compromised shit can get under them and keep eating away at the aluminum underneath it.

In other words, short of having the wheels stripped and re-chromed, you're basically fucked.

Morgan06

Jan 19, 2006
ELM, MA
Not much you can do, honestly. Once the chrome plating has been compromised shit can get under them and keep eating away at the aluminum underneath it.

In other words, short of having the wheels stripped and re-chromed, you're basically fucked.

Chromeball syndrome, once it starts you can't stop it.

TS
TS
jaspirr

jaspirr

Jul 16, 2008
Delaware
Nothing at all? I was thinking of some kind of clear coat just to prevent debris from getting in.

TS
TS
jaspirr

jaspirr

Jul 16, 2008
Delaware
Damn. Thanks. I guess I'll look around for a shop that can re-chrome and give them all my money.

JRock10

May 25, 2005
Nashville, TN FTW
contact lexani about the issue. I don't remember what the warranty is on the asanti line, but worse case is you can ship it back to them, the can break the wheel down and repair the center, reassemble and ship them back to you.

and yes, asanti wheels are stupid expensive. but well worth it. if you put a halfway decent set of tires on them, they can balance out nearly perfect. I've seen 24's on nice tires that required .75 oz to balance them.

BlazinBlazer Guy

Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.
Jul 24, 2002
Lansing, MI USA
contact lexani about the issue. I don't remember what the warranty is on the asanti line, but worse case is you can ship it back to them, the can break the wheel down and repair the center, reassemble and ship them back to you.

Being that he's not the original purchaser of the wheels I would doubt the warranty means much, especially if he doesn't have any of the paperwork on them. You're right though that anything is worth a shot and they certainly should be able to do the repairs.

JRock10

May 25, 2005
Nashville, TN FTW
Being that he's not the original purchaser of the wheels I would doubt the warranty means much, especially if he doesn't have any of the paperwork on them. You're right though that anything is worth a shot and they certainly should be able to do the repairs.
may not matter since they are such high end wheels. I don't remember.

TS
TS
jaspirr

jaspirr

Jul 16, 2008
Delaware

This is what I've been told and what I had figured. I have no receipts of any kind, no idea how old they are, no idea who originally purchased them, no idea what retailer he purchased them from, etc. I think they'll say to me, "Sure, we'll fix them . . . . for $500 a wheel." But I might ask nonetheless.

JRock10

May 25, 2005
Nashville, TN FTW
This is what I've been told and what I had figured. I have no receipts of any kind, no idea how old they are, no idea who originally purchased them, no idea what retailer he purchased them from, etc. I think they'll say to me, "Sure, we'll fix them . . . . for $500 a wheel." But I might ask nonetheless.
deal with the manny. fuck the shops

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan