GAME PS3 HD Swap

Omega6_Virus

Oct 20, 2002
So I got a 120gig PS3 Slim. And I like to watch movies on it. Would it be easier for me to just make a USB external HD from a 3.5" 120gig HD I have in my tower PC(running the 120 as a backup with a 750gB main) instead of buying a laptop HD and going through the software swap? It's only going to be used for movies and music playback.
Has anyone else run a set-up like this before? Is the USB fast enough for the movie to stream through? Thanks. :wavey:

TS
TS
Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus

Oct 20, 2002
Why don't you just stream your media wirelessly?

Cuz I have a desktop that has loud fans and I don't like to keep it running while I'm trying to watch tv in the next room. I'd rather keep it on a HD and just use the PS3 and the TV. PS3 is wired to router, so yea, its like its already using a remote drive with the PC. Running the PC to watch movies seems like a waste.

georgexi

o.O
OT Supporter
Jul 13, 2005
PA
what kind of movies u plan to watch on it? SD/HD? 480p/720p/1080p?

if you go external drive, it has to be formatted FAT32 so you'll have to deal with the 4GB filesize limitation and PS3 tends to be very finnicky on what media types it'll play. but if you're ripping/encoding movies yourself down to <4GB you should be fine with your setup

DPoon

Aug 12, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale
Cuz I have a desktop that has loud fans and I don't like to keep it running while I'm trying to watch tv in the next room. I'd rather keep it on a HD and just use the PS3 and the TV. PS3 is wired to router, so yea, its like its already using a remote drive with the PC. Running the PC to watch movies seems like a waste.

So you are in a different room than your pc and you can still hear the fans?

FunkyMunniez

Mar 15, 2008
I keep a library of about 10-15 of my favorite movies saved on my ps3 for watching whenever I want. When I get bored with them I delete them and bring new ones over.

I use the ps3 media server, access my movies folder from the ps3, find the ones I want, and just copy it. Use a 120 gb HDD. have a bunch of room left.

TS
TS
Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus

Oct 20, 2002
what kind of movies u plan to watch on it? SD/HD? 480p/720p/1080p?

if you go external drive, it has to be formatted FAT32 so you'll have to deal with the 4GB filesize limitation and PS3 tends to be very finnicky on what media types it'll play. but if you're ripping/encoding movies yourself down to <4GB you should be fine with your setup

I know about the file types. I've imported every movie I watch to the PS3. And yes, it's almost always HD:720p or 1080p. File size usually sticks under 4gb as a Mp4 @ 5.mbps is usually 3.5gigs for a 2 hr movie. But that's only if I can't get avi.
Thanks Georgexi.

So you are in a different room than your pc and you can still hear the fans?

Yes, that is what I said. I just don't like to have my PC running when it doesn't need to be because all I'm doing is watching a movie. The rooms are right next to each other and the computer desk next to the wall that separates the two. The case is from 2004 but the internals are from '08. Don't worry about my reasons for not wanting to run the PC while watching movies. I just don't want to.

Hezkezl

OT Supporter
Apr 26, 2004
Idaho
If you use PS3MediaServer you can stream any file basically, .mkv included, over your network to your PS3 from your computer :dunno: But that would heavily go against your not wanting to run your PC while watching things.... :mamoru:

TS
TS
Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus

Oct 20, 2002
I keep a library of about 10-15 of my favorite movies saved on my ps3 for watching whenever I want. When I get bored with them I delete them and bring new ones over.

I use the ps3 media server, access my movies folder from the ps3, find the ones I want, and just copy it. Use a 120 gb HDD. have a bunch of room left.

Yeah, I've done that a lot. But I keep good movies on there for extended periods of time. Like new Predators and the '87 one, Aliens, Apocalypse Now, Crank 2 and new titles. With the movies I haven't had time to watch yet, it's only got 3000mb left empty.

TS
TS
Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus

Oct 20, 2002
If you use PS3MediaServer you can stream any file basically, .mkv included, over your network to your PS3 from your computer :dunno: But that would heavily go against your not wanting to run your PC while watching things.... :mamoru:

Don't have time to d/l mkv files. 2-3gig AVI/MP4's look just as good to me. And no, I don't want to keep my PC running while I'm watching a movie. Mainly because I like to fall asleep on my couch with my girl and not have to get up and turn the PC off.

Lemmywinks

May 25, 2003
St. Charles, IL
i do it the ghetto way, just copy the file to a flash drive and play it from there, been doing that since i got the ps3 and works perfectly for me. just keep a 16 gig and 8 gig drive plugged in with a bunch of movies and shows ive downloaded. just copy them over when i want to watch something new. :dunno: does the job nicely.

TS
TS
Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus

Oct 20, 2002
i do it the ghetto way, just copy the file to a flash drive and play it from there, been doing that since i got the ps3 and works perfectly for me. just keep a 16 gig and 8 gig drive plugged in with a bunch of movies and shows ive downloaded. just copy them over when i want to watch something new. :dunno: does the job nicely.

Yeah, but transfer time froim computer to USB stick is too long for my liking. Plus I only have a 4gB and 8gB sticks. I was hoping I could send it via Ethernet to the PS3 and then to the USB HD, but the USB would still be the choke point. My MOBO only has usb 1.0 and I think the PS3 uses 2.0.
The extra HD would be to store movies for a library. Good flicks that are worth more than one viewing. IDK. I mean, I could delete the copies of movies I don't really want anymore, but I don't want to bother to um, [cough cough] re "acquire" them.

Lemmywinks

May 25, 2003
St. Charles, IL
i hear ya, i wasnt saying to do it this way, i just do it cause it works with my setup. i hated running a media server setup, wasnt worth the headaches i had at times with disconnections randomly. i dont watch too many movies usually so the 2-3 min wait for the movie to copy isnt a big deal. i dont get blu ray rips or anything, just plain old dvd are good enough for me. if i like the movie enough i wait for a blu ray deal to come along and pick up a real copy.

Riconosuave

Dec 12, 2004

Quick tutorial on how to do this? Never messed with the mediaserver option on my ps3. Do I have to install anything on my pc if the ps3 and pc are hardwired to the same router? How can I get the ps3 to detect my pc? What if I have an external hd connected to my pc. Will the ps3 also detect that? I read that I may have to install psmediaserver on my pc? Thanks.

Signedx

Feb 20, 2007
Quick tutorial on how to do this? Never messed with the mediaserver option on my ps3. Do I have to install anything on my pc if the ps3 and pc are hardwired to the same router? How can I get the ps3 to detect my pc? What if I have an external hd connected to my pc. Will the ps3 also detect that? I read that I may have to install psmediaserver on my pc? Thanks.

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507

Wired for best streaming experience, wireless is okay for small files but generally best to avoid if you can. PS3 Media server can be set to any directory on your PC.

TS
TS
Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus

Oct 20, 2002
I use Vuze for transferring/streaming my files. It works fine. Once the program is running on your computer, just select "Audio" or "Video" or "Images" on the XMB, and you can select "VUZE ON [Insert computer name here]" and select your files. Sometimes the Playstation doesn't see certain files, but it's pretty rare and sometimes you can only stream files(if you try to copy them to the PS3, it will but will say "Corrupted Data", also rare), but that is also very rare. The files that I've had the problem with being corrupted and only allowed to stream are the same file(like a downloaded video).

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan