GUN Purchasing my first pistol for all purposes. Advice?

origin

Out of everything I have ever shot, 1911s I shoot best with. I enjoy the feel, accuracy, and history to the weapon. I was looking at this Kimber Custom II TLE as a home defense, CCW (it is full size), and for the range.

I am 5'6", male, and with a wide frame (not fat). Not sure if this matters.

Heard the TLE is great because of the upgrades alone it'll save you money than if you did it afterwards.

45 vs 9 mm? Not sure...always heard a 45 round is better.

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
1911's are pretty impractical as far as handguns go... Great for the collection or competition. But you're better off with a reliable high-cap plastic gun for everyday purposes.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
1911 full size pistol for conceal carry

cons;
heavy
big
exernal safety that will have to be used unless you don't keep 1 in the chamber (and i alwasy want a round chambered)
low capacity mag

modern 9mm rounds aren't what the old timers remember, if 11 rounds of 9mm from a G26 doesn't stop a bad guy then the bad guy should probably win anyway

(i absolutely love my 1911's but i never carry 1)

TS
TS

origin

1911's are pretty impractical as far as handguns go... Great for the collection or competition. But you're better off with a reliable high-cap plastic gun for everyday purposes.

I despise Glocks, tried shooting one and they're disgusting to me. I haven't heard of a 1911 now adays being unreliable?

TS
TS

origin

1911 full size pistol for conceal carry

cons;
heavy
big
exernal safety that will have to be used unless you don't keep 1 in the chamber (and i alwasy want a round chambered)
low capacity mag

modern 9mm rounds aren't what the old timers remember, if 11 rounds of 9mm from a G26 doesn't stop a bad guy then the bad guy should probably win anyway

(i absolutely love my 1911's but i never carry 1)

People always say, "heavy and big" but it can fit within the pants/shorts just fine, and how is < 1 pound "heavy" ? You also bring up the external safety issue a Glock will operate the same way (not safetied)

May 29, 2001
Sheridan, WY
People always say, "heavy and big" but it can fit within the pants/shorts just fine, and how is < 1 pound "heavy" ? You also bring up the external safety issue a Glock will operate the same way (not safetied)
Try concealing one for a long day, and you'll see what he's talking about. Compared to something like a glock 19, or an M&P9c, there's no comparison in comfort while carrying. I love my 1911, but it is just too uncomfortable for daily carry.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005

so you're gonna carry a 1911 concealed with a round chambered and no safety engaged?

if so then you're fucking stupid

do you have a 1911 that isn't single action?????

chambered, cocked and ready to rock with no safety engaged and work concealed all day, this won't end well lol

also yes, 1.2 or 1.3 pounds (what my colt gov model weighs in at with loaded mag) is pretty heavy for a concealed weapon to carry all day every day, most people, not all but many that i know don't carry very often cause they refused to buy a smaller framed weapon and they don't like carrying and trying to conceal large frame handguns (i know that many on this board carry full size frame, but personally it's just not comfy)

even a G19 which isn't the sub compact weights less than the 1911, polymer guns are just lighter, the 1911 probably has a narrower slide and is a thinner gun but it weights a ton cause it isn't polymer)

every gun has it's purpose, and conceal carry doesn't = 1911

* seriously, do you plan on carrying a 1911 chambered and cocked with no safety???? you honestly don't see how that may be a potential problem???****

at the range is 1 thing, but on your hip getting bumped into, pushing against arm rests on a chair, etc, many variables with every day carry that you might not be considering

Last edited:

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
People always say, "heavy and big"

people always say that for a reason, because we carry everyday and we've adjusted to the holster we like and the size of weapon we like etc due to concealabilty comfort etc

i'm willing to bet most of us have a drawer full of holsters we fucking hate and never use cause it took awhile to find what we liked, cause we fucking carry everyday and the bigger and heavier the gun, t he more difficult to conceal, the more uncomfrotable it is to wear all day

TS
TS

origin

Try concealing one for a long day, and you'll see what he's talking about. Compared to something like a glock 19, or an M&P9c, there's no comparison in comfort while carrying. I love my 1911, but it is just too uncomfortable for daily carry.

How would you speak to its reliability?

TS
TS

origin

* seriously, do you plan on carrying a 1911 chambered and cocked with no safety???? you honestly don't see how that may be a potential problem???****

at the range is 1 thing, but on your hip getting bumped into, pushing against arm rests on a chair, etc, many variables with every day carry that you might not be considering

I'm not sure. I would probably have the thumb safety on and train to disengage it should I need it. However, with the grip safety I don't see how "getting bumped into" would set it off. Plus, you actually have to pull the trigger.

Rip The Jacker

Jul 24, 2002
Stopped taking this thread seriously after you said glocks were "disgusting". I dont even know how a handgun can be disgusting.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
good luck, you don't seem to have a great plan but it's your money. i just hope you don't hurt yourself or someone else

accidental discharges occur all the time and nobody ever seems to think it'll happen to them, but that's cause they usually don't understand some factors that contribute to the AD. At least make sure you get a high quality holster so you don't become 1 of those people we read about and gives gun owners a bad name

May 29, 2001
Sheridan, WY
people always say that for a reason, because we carry everyday and we've adjusted to the holster we like and the size of weapon we like etc due to concealabilty comfort etc

i'm willing to bet most of us have a drawer full of holsters we fucking hate and never use cause it took awhile to find what we liked, cause we fucking carry everyday and the bigger and heavier the gun, t he more difficult to conceal, the more uncomfrotable it is to wear all day

lol yes. I got my CCW when i got my wilson, and have a drawer full of holsters trying to find one comfy for carry. I ended up with a paddle from blueline, but it doesn't conceal well and I have to wear untucked shirts. I finally decided that carrying a full frame 1911 just wasn't practical/comfortable and picked up an M&P9c and an M-TAC.

Radicus

Jul 5, 2005
Free State
I think the most i've ever gone between cleanings was 200 rounds. I usually clean it after every trip to the range.

From what I understand, 1911's are so tight they don't function well dirty... Hence the unreliable comment.

I haven't cleaned my M&P since winter. :hs:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan