SRS Putin declares war in Ukraine, surprising no one

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
Why is Turkey simping for Russia?
My guess is their proximity to russia, Syria, and georgia

They're already in Nato though, so I wonder if they are angling for something, maybe that makes them safer if things go to shit even more near them, as they probably will

Reactions: Fanya

G-man

Nov 15, 2001
CO
Yeah there was a bit in the 90’s when it seemed like Russia might join us in the modern, relatively peaceful world.

I’m just old enough to remember the tail end of it (1995-97 or so) when it seemed like the internet might actually bring everyone together and we could work on fixing our planet, and maybe actual world peace.

Then 9/11 happened.
yes back when Yeltsin was in charge

rdKJD_.gif

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006

They're already in Nato though, so I wonder if they are angling for something, maybe that makes them safer if things go to shit even more near them, as they probably will
Someone mentioned it previously, but probably the F-35s that got yanked when they bought Russian SAMs.

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
Thought this comment was interesting re: strengthening deterrence forces.

He added that the longstanding operating assumptions of NATO have been that in the event a member is invaded by Russia, other members would respond under Article 5 to push them back out.

But the massacres and atrocities committed by Russians against Ukrainians fundamentally change that.

“The other thing that has given people pause is Bucha, is Mariupol, is the atrocities that Russians are committing in territory they occupied,” Trudeau said.

“The idea that there would be even an understanding that ‘the Russians could advance but then we’d come in and push them back’ as something that is in any way acceptable is something we have to re-calculate.”

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
Not really, it was all part of the same general thesis within his Tragedy of Great Powers book and all part of the same grand theory construct.

Kinda like how Kaplan's grand theory pictured a world of anarchy and fractured city states, but he at least did note the violent breakup of the Balkans. Not sure how many points you get when 95% of the same general theory is unsubstantiated.

Counter factuals also arent really accurate predictions as there is no way to determine if he would have been correct in his assessment.
Many grand theorists from the immediate post-cold war era proved unreliable by virtue of the fact that they were engaging in grand theory. It was a fashionable approach and being wrong came with the territory. Most of them have moved on or revised their original theories out of necessity. We shouldn't dismiss their more recent analysis out of hand. I think Mearsheimer's work on the Israel lobby is important, but he's far from my go-to on other issues. More relevant to the issue of US foreign policy and great power struggle, I think Barry Posen should get more attention. I find useful his observation that the 4 previous schools of IR theory: neo-isolationism, selective engagement, cooperative security, and primacy have effectively merged into the present schools of restraint vs. liberal hegemony. I think we both know where we land on that spectrum, so I'll take this opportunity to evangelize by way of book recommendation:

84e7cd6d1fa1fbbc7dae9bccd22a3b53.jpg

PDF - https://eg1lib.org/book/2472124/ebeedb

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006
Yes. It's not like US oil & gas is more carbon dioxide emitting than RU oil & gas. Although it may seem that way considering US environmental reporting is infinitely better.
I mean really, if you gave a fuck about the environment, you would want Russia to fall as it has tried to undermine all efforts so they can continue pushing fossil fuels. Election tampering and propaganda funded across the world to protect their biggest industry

this isn't a matter of "environmental reporting"

SkmekpP.png

0S4p2fy.png

Miesha Taint

May 6, 2006

curiously, Sweden and Finland were supportive of Turkey's EU bid while Germany/France were adamantly opposed iirc

Turkey has had diplomatic spats with the Nordic countries on PKK and Gulenist exiles however

Last edited:

ludewig

Mar 14, 2000
Houston! Texas!
how we respond to "Putin's price hike" is of utmost importance don't you agree?
As I understand it they're trying to moderate price and take away RU market share/reduce dependence on RU. The way I understand it energy markets don't react to short term price spikes with consumer substitution of energy sources. Substitution if available happens on long term energy price increases (or long term decreases in price of alternatives or government incentives) the next time a consumer (corporation, individual, etc) makes an investment (buys new buildings, equipment, vehicles). Energy demand at any given time is not very elastic to price / almost fixed. The price varies violently with any amount above/below demand.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Is this something that could have gone off when the internal parts of the piano start moving around?
Doesn’t look like anything more than a shell sitting there. But this is the a time suck for eod. To clear thousand upon thousands of homes. For decades kids will die there finding stuff sadly.

• Support
Reactions: Oman4x4

Dr. Charisma

Dec 28, 2003
GA
Not necessarily. A proxy war implies we have interests beyond just defending Ukraine's sovereignty, which of course we do. There's not anything wrong with that, we should be honest about it.
It's not a matter of bowing down but it should be taken into account with calls for regime change, demilitarization, and/or dissolving the Russian Federation into separate territories becoming increasingly popular.
Definitely not hawking these not so subtle kremlin talking points though right my guy

Simius The Monkey

Long Live The Republic
OT Supporter
Sep 7, 2005
Minnesota
He's gonna be real sad when Ukraine wins this war without having to give Russia a single fucking concession.
I legit hope Russia doesn't win in any of the metrics they are going for. If they can't do right because it is the right thing or in their own self interest, hopefully they fail so bad that they are forced to do right because it is so blatantly against their self interest to do shit like this.

ludewig

Mar 14, 2000
Houston! Texas!
Is this something that could have gone off when the internal parts of the piano start moving around?
They left in under the piano internal hammers with that idea. Apparently it didn't work because the woman did push the keys and it didn't explode.

"The man brought the sappers twice, and they inspected the apartment and the piano, but found nothing. And when I arrived on May 7, I was about to go back and approached the instrument. I don't play by myself, Dashunya plays, I just walked from left to right with white keys, I reach the middle, and they don't press. I tell my husband - there is something there. We had suspicions about mines before - the man noticed that the awards on the top cover were placed incorrectly. "
The sappers, who could barely be found in the evening before the weekend, removed a VOG-25P grenade from under the child's hammer piano .​

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets
They left in under the piano internal hammers with that idea. Apparently it didn't work because the woman did push the keys and it didn't explode.

"The man brought the sappers twice, and they inspected the apartment and the piano, but found nothing. And when I arrived on May 7, I was about to go back and approached the instrument. I don't play by myself, Dashunya plays, I just walked from left to right with white keys, I reach the middle, and they don't press. I tell my husband - there is something there. We had suspicions about mines before - the man noticed that the awards on the top cover were placed incorrectly. "
The sappers, who could barely be found in the evening before the weekend, removed a VOG-25P grenade from under the child's hammer piano .​
Fucking animals. Let them burn.

Publius

Professor of Triggerednometry
Jan 16, 2004
Big D by the Trinity

Thank god the Russians that set that trap were as inept at it as they’ve been at every other aspect of the war. Fucking filth.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448