SRS Putin declares war in Ukraine, surprising no one

Vanilla Tarantino

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Bay Area
I don't know of any but I'll ask my sister-in-law and do some research of my own. I didn't know much of the history until recently.

@Vanilla Tarantino do you know of any?
I haven’t watched them, but I’ve been meaning to watch “The Other Dream Team”, a story about the 1992 Lithuanian Olympic basketball team. I’m sure it covers many of the geopolitical events leading to independence and the formation of the team.

There’s also “How We Played the Revolution”, about a joke band that actually became more and lead to “Rock Marches”and later lead to meetings for independence.

Again, they’re on the watchlist but unwatched, so I can’t vouch for their quality, but they have positive reviews.

Jinx

forever sugarplum
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
Lithuania literally wrote the playbook for the post USSR and fuck Russia era. During their independence movement Russia killed a number of protestors and Lithuanian's have vehemently hated Russians since (before too). My sister-in-law was born and from Lithuania. Her parents were at the protests in 1991.

On 11 March 1990, the Supreme Council announced the restoration of Lithuania's independence.[122] After refusal to revoke the Act, the Soviet forces stormed the Seimas Palace, while Lithuanians defended their democratically elected Council. The Act was the first such declaration in the USSR and later served as a model, inspiration to other Soviet republics, and strongly influenced the dissolution of the Soviet Union.

Gradually, economic relations had been restored. However, tensions had peaked again in January 1991. At that time, attempts were made to carry out a coup using the Soviet Armed Forces, the Internal Army of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the USSR Committee for State Security (KGB). Because of the poor economic situation in Lithuania, the forces in Moscow thought the coup d'état would receive strong public support.[124]

People from all over Lithuania flooded to Vilnius to defend their legitimately elected Supreme Council of the Republic of Lithuania and independence. The coup ended with a few casualties of peaceful civilians and caused huge material loss. Not a single person who defended Lithuanian Parliament or other state institutions used a weapon, but the Soviet Army did. Soviet soldiers killed 14 people and injured hundreds. A large part of the Lithuanian population participated in the January Events.[126][127] Shortly after, on 11 February 1991, the Icelandic parliament voted to confirm that Iceland's 1922 recognition of Lithuanian independence was still in full effect, as it never formally recognized the Soviet Union's control over Lithuania,[128] and that full diplomatic relations should be established as soon as possible.[129][130]

On 31 July 1991, Soviet paramilitaries killed seven Lithuanian border guards on the Belarusian border in what became known as the Medininkai Massacre.[131] On 17 September 1991, Lithuania was admitted to the United Nations.
when i was little (like 3 or 4), i was in chicago with my parents to visit my grandpa, and we went out for a walk. we stopped for a few minutes to figure out what we were going to do when we saw a big group of people. i remember my parents debating for a minute, and then we went over and joined them in walking up and down. i didn't know any of the flags at the time, but i was pretty sure one was an italian flag (hint, it wasn't :rofl: ).

years later, my dad and i were talking, and he talked about us walking in the lithuanian protests. i had no idea that's what we were doing at the time, but it feels neat to have been there even if i don't remember exactly why :mamoru:

Vanilla Tarantino

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Bay Area
:coold:

I hope to visit Vilnius one of these days.

I'm also trying to get my sister-in-law's parents bring me a few of the commerative Ukrainian coins they released.

Woah, I need this coin :eek3:

cbpage

Lord and Savior
OT Supporter
May 19, 2009
L I N K B O Y Z VIP Club
Ohio voters better not fuck this up. :squint:

"Republican J.D. Vance has called for cutting off U.S. support for Ukraine, whereas Rep. Tim Ryan, the Democrat, says that America has a fundamental imperative to defend Ukraine from an unprovoked invasion. It’s a distinction that Ohio political analysts say could have an impact in such an intensely close race.

Vance, the venture capitalist turned politician, has said bluntly that the U.S. shouldn’t devote anymore tax-payer dollars to help the Ukrainians. “I think we’re at the point where we’ve given enough money in Ukraine,” Vance said this month. “I really do.” The remarks didn’t necessarily reflect a change in the Trump-endorsed Hillbilly Elegy author’s posture. “I gotta be honest with you, I don’t really care what happens to Ukraine one way or another,” he told the conservative firebrand Steve Bannon during a podcast interview in February."

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004

"Republican J.D. Vance has called for cutting off U.S. support for Ukraine, whereas Rep. Tim Ryan, the Democrat, says that America has a fundamental imperative to defend Ukraine from an unprovoked invasion. It’s a distinction that Ohio political analysts say could have an impact in such an intensely close race.

Vance, the venture capitalist turned politician, has said bluntly that the U.S. shouldn’t devote anymore tax-payer dollars to help the Ukrainians. “I think we’re at the point where we’ve given enough money in Ukraine,” Vance said this month. “I really do.” The remarks didn’t necessarily reflect a change in the Trump-endorsed Hillbilly Elegy author’s posture. “I gotta be honest with you, I don’t really care what happens to Ukraine one way or another,” he told the conservative firebrand Steve Bannon during a podcast interview in February."
@kitty

plz

• Angry
Reactions: wait*what and kitty

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets

What the fuck. Basically pre-WWII level isolationism all over again.

I'm generally conservative leaning, but I can't fucking stand the idiocy coming out of the Rep party these days.

xioix

Feb 20, 2005
So Cal

Have the Dems run any of his statements about Ukraine all over the state? If not, they are missing a huge opportunity

spiko

OT Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Cleveland, OH

Yeah, fuck that guy. I'll be voting against him. Ohio has one of the largest Ukrainian populations in the US.

Last month both republican and democratic senators from Ohio went and visited Kyiv and met with Zelenskyy. I was so surprised to learn that because they just spoke at the Ukrainian festival I went to a couple days prior.

spiko

OT Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Cleveland, OH
JD Vance, Republican Senate candidate for Ohio, during an event with the Ohio Trucking Association in Westerville on Sept. 19, 2022. Credit - Gaelen Morse—Bloomberg via Getty Images

Bad place to give a speech. Does he know how many Ukrainian truck drivers there are in Ohio :rofl:

Both my uncles for starters and literally every other Ukrainian I know is a driver, operator, or owner of a logistics company.

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Yeah, fuck that guy. I'll be voting against him. Ohio has one of the largest Ukrainian populations in the US.

Last month both republican and democratic senators from Ohio went and visited Kyiv and met with Zelenskyy. I was so surprised to learn that because they just spoke at the Ukrainian festival I went to a couple days prior.

the fuck is wrong with ya'all? leave UA to head to ohio?

it was drew carey wasnt it?

• Haha
Reactions: spiko

fuqxyu

Thank you for the alpha
Feb 2, 2004

Yeah…fuck that faggot

Stylerod

150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:
Dec 23, 2001
150MPH in a Swimsuit :eek3:!

Fuck him. The only good thing about living in Ohio would be being able to voting against him.

Jinx

forever sugarplum
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana

it sucks because we have a ukrainian state rep here (victoria spartz), but she's a republican nutbag :o i'm just glad i'm not in her district and have to make that choice

Reactions: spiko

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza