TECH Putting hard drive from one computer into another.

kmad86

Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09
OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2003
Ft. Smith, AR
I have a computer that works as a mapping unit for a large simulator. The computer has been giving me major problems lately. The software was all custom build stuff. I'd like to somehow take that hard drive out of the computer that's giving me problems, and put it in another computer I have. How can I successfully do this?

5Gen_Prelude

There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but
Mar 14, 2000
Vancouver, BC, CANADA
If its matching hardware (specifically the MoBo), you won't have much issue. If it's not, you may not have good success, depending on the differences and the OS.

You could try to virtualize the machine though - that takes away the hardware specifics of the installation.

My suggestion to you is to image the harddrive and work with the copy.

mds2004

Jul 10, 2004
Most likely it will bluescreen and if it doesnt work you can try stripping all drivers. I run an HIR using ShadowProtect.

DAN513

Mar 10, 2003
Winnipeg
I've done this before. It's not pretty, but it's worked.

Make an image of the drive so if something goes horribly wrong, you're not screwed.

Boot into windows on the old PC. Go into device manager and remove all the devices from within there. If it prompts you to reboot, don't. Once you've removed all the drivers, turn the PC off and swap the drive into the new PC. Let it boot and rediscover all the hardware.

Windows is fine if you let it discover new hardware when there's no existing hardware to mess it up, but boot it up when it's expecting hard drive controller a and it finds controller b, that's when you have problems.

Oct 17, 2004
New England
Most likely it will bluescreen and if it doesnt work you can try stripping all drivers. I run an HIR using ShadowProtect.
it depends on the OS.

there's a decent chance he'll put the drive in the new machine and it will recognize new hw and reconfigure for it. some drivers may have to be loaded/reloaded but i've done this a few times and more than once i've been happily surprised.

*THIS!!!

dorkultra

OT's resident crohns dude
OT Supporter
Oct 14, 2005
nilbog, trollhio
i've done this a few times without headaches, but only on windows xp so far

install the hard drive in another, boot and see what happens. if it bluescreens, reboot with your computer with your windows disc. it will boot into the windows menu. then act like your going to install the system again and it will tell you that the system is already installed and suggests to repair instead.
let it repair for the next 20 minutes, you'll need to enter your serial number again btw

also it seems like it must rewrite the registry or something because the system will boot a whole lot better

Graham

This Close To 88mph
Jun 8, 2008
N.E. Ohio
If its matching hardware (specifically the MoBo), you won't have much issue. If it's not, you may not have good success, depending on the differences and the OS.

You could try to virtualize the machine though - that takes away the hardware specifics of the installation.

Acronis.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448