DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB

Quebec to ban sale of new gasoline-powered cars from 2035
By Allison Lampert
2 MIN READ

MONTREAL (Reuters) - The Canadian province of Quebec said on Monday it will ban the sale of new gasoline-powered passenger cars from 2035, joining California and others in announcing moves to shift to electric vehicles and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Canada’s second-most populous province announced the ban as part of a C$6.7 billion ($5.1 billion) plan over five years to help Quebec meet a target of reducing its greenhouses gases by 37.5% by 2030, in comparison with 1990 levels, Premier Francois Legault told reporters in Montreal.

The ban will bring Quebec in line with other jurisdictions such as California, the largest U.S. auto market, which in September announced a move to electric vehicles starting in 2035.

Brian Kingston, president of the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers’ Association, reacting by Twitter on Monday to Quebec’s announcement, said: “Consumers need more support to buy new (zero-emission vehicles) ZEVs, not bans on internal combustion vehicles.”

The Canadian province of British Columbia has already moved to phase out fuel-powered cars and trucks over a two-decade period, with a total ban on their sale or lease coming into effect in 2040.
The United Kingdom is also said to be working on a similar decision.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has promised sweeping measures to fight climate change and boost economic growth, including making zero-emission vehicles more affordable and investing in charging stations across the country.

While the coronavirus pandemic has forced the Liberal leader to focus more on emergency aid to help businesses and people get through the downturn, the government has committed to net-zero emissions by 2050 and is expected to begin earmarking investments in a fiscal update before Christmas and a separate budget early next year.

($1 = 1.3075 Canadian dollars)

Reporting By Allison Lampert in Montreal; Additional reporting by Steve Scherer and Julie Gordon in Ottawa; Editing by Paul Simao and Sandra Maler

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

• Wow
Reactions: Cicada and Wolf
TS
TS
DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
So in North America I've found (totals include previous jurisdictions if applicable)

LA, Seattle, Vancouver 2030 - 6 million people
California, Quebec 2035 - 40 million people
Canada, British Columbia, NYC 2040 - 86 million people

For new ICE sales bans

cooly

OT Supporter
Jan 23, 2006
These deadlines gunna get pushed back, especially California considering their power grid is just not up to this sort of demand.
Yep. Dumbass people with no concept of how long this is really gonna take

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
Jan 30, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Yep. Dumbass people with no concept of how long this is really gonna take

Electric cars are a great idea but we're just a generation short on battery and charge tech for it to truly be an everyman concept.

Interested to see the long term environmental fallout of all these massive lithium battery banks having to be recycled/disposed of also.

Reactions: jeff2577 and cooly

cooly

OT Supporter
Jan 23, 2006
Electric cars are a great idea but we're just a generation short on battery and charge tech for it to truly be an everyman concept.

Interested to see the long term environmental fallout of all these massive lithium battery banks having to be recycled/disposed of also.
The other major concern is technicans to work on this shit. We're having trouble finding people to work on technology from today and 20 years ago...We're all of a sudden going to have people that can fix electric cars?

TS
TS
DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
These deadlines gunna get pushed back, especially California considering their power grid is just not up to this sort of demand.

Quebec is interesting because
- Their power generation is mostly hydro so cheap
- They export a ton of it to the US so they in theory have a large amount of capacity they could redirect internally.

sp00n155

Jan 30, 2006
Huntsville, AL
The other major concern is technicans to work on this shit. We're having trouble finding people to work on technology from today and 20 years ago...We're all of a sudden going to have people that can fix electric cars?

They aren't especially complex currently at a basic mechanical drivetrain level. The feature tech like autopilot and so on is more in depth but it's all sensor based like anything else, modern cars are crazy complicated so it won't be a huge jump for competent techs imo.

Reactions: Nikuk

sp00n155

Jan 30, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Quebec is interesting because
- Their power generation is mostly hydro so cheap
- They export a ton of it to the US so they in theory have a large amount of capacity they could redirect internally.

14 years is still an aggressive line in the sand considering how few all electric options people have and the gaps in infrastructure outside of metro areas still. A tax on ice cars vs an outright ban would be a better move and less likely to have to bend/push back date wise.

Reactions: DizzyEdge
TS
TS
DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
14 years is still an aggressive line in the sand considering how few all electric options people have and the gaps in infrastructure outside of metro areas still. A tax on ice cars vs an outright ban would be a better move and less likely to have to bend/push back date wise.

I guess we'll start to see how feasible this all is in 9 years when LA, Seattle, and Vancouver all implement bans. That will be the reality check

sp00n155

Jan 30, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I guess we'll start to see how feasible this all is in 9 years when LA, Seattle, and Vancouver all implement bans. That will be the reality check

Those dates are unenforceable so I wouldn't use them as an actual litmus. They will be forced to a later date or scuttled all together, that shit is flat out political grandstanding.

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
They aren't especially complex currently at a basic mechanical drivetrain level. The feature tech like autopilot and so on is more in depth but it's all sensor based like anything else, modern cars are crazy complicated so it won't be a huge jump for competent techs imo.

Turning wrenches is a different skill set that figuring out why black box A and black box B are both "working" but aren't working together. Gear heads don't have the patience for computer stuff.

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
Maybe they should work on having new batteries not cost more than just buying a new car before they push electric as the great environmental savior.

TS
TS
DizzyEdge

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
Turning wrenches is a different skill set that figuring out why black box A and black box B are both "working" but aren't working together. Gear heads don't have the patience for computer stuff.

Maybe there will just be segregation of skills. Need new brakes? Get the traditional mechanics on it. Computer problem? Get the computer tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan