WEB Question about advertising v. the "not to make money" edition

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by karp2381, Aug 16, 2009.

1. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

If you've been following my threads, you know I've launched an article type blog.

I am a man who is always focused on learning how to do new things, and getting the word out on shit isn't something I know about. I am looking to advertise my blog for the sole purposes of just letting people know it exists. Word of mouth is one way; if I have killer content, eventually people will discover it. I know I can buy ad space on OT, which hits a fairly large group of people. Other than these 2 things, I'm really in the dark on this topic. You could say I'm off topic. :mamoru:

It amazes me how little of the internet I actually know, and I know there has to be something out there for this type of advertising.

Can any of you webmasters point me in the right direction, recommend me some programs, or if you have personal networks, PM me with info? This is of course something I plan on spending money on. I'm still a little ways away from a full blown ad blitz. I want to know how it's done, key networks to hit, and if it is a spend money type of thing, or just a site pimp sort of thing where you hit up the main internet hang out zones.

If there is some good info in here, I would recommend to the mods on a sticky for ad-information. Seems like this could be a good resource. :hsd:

2. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

Try social networking first, ie Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, etc. you should start there, it's an endless supply of people you can promote to and take in as daily visitiors/freinds.

3. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

That's a good one. I was going to say "why didn't I think of that", but I know why. I'm active duty military and facebook/myspace, etc. is banned. :mad: (ugh, we are such a disconnected institution, but that's a whole other discussion)

4. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

What kind of content will you have?

5. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

Paying for Diggs is a good way to get traffic :o

6. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

Its a site on geek media, cataloging good finds on the internet, providing commentary on nerdy things. The site is about "everything that wasn't cool in high school". If you would like to see, thetotalnerd.com Some theme fluffing going to go down at the end of this week.

7. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

Didnt know this was possible.

8. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

diggassist.com

9. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

10. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

For a blog:

a) Traditional advertising is completely worthless. Unless its a flog where you are trying to get them to take an action(sign up for an offer so you can get a commission). + What keyword would you target?
    b) Social media is pretty much the only way to drive quick traffic to a blog.
    c) Most people don't flow blogs, they follow people, so you are going to need to be extremely open. This means an active twitter account and a constant stream of quality posts. Eventually your blog will get a higher page rank, and you'll get some organic traffic...but that'll be years in the future.

Pretty much as a blogger, you are going to need to create a personal brand. Make people want to check what you had to say.

11. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

good tips, thanks!