GUN Question About joining the Army -

JJC1823

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2005
Miami, FL
A little about me - I'm 29 yrs old and currently enrolled in univeristy trying to finish my double major. By the time i finish with school, which should be by the end of the year.

Question is being 29-30 yrs old, old enough to join the army?
I also understand that if i join the army with my degree i would enter as an officer correct? What position is good enough once i enter? can you explain life in the military as a newbie?

My Double major is BBA in Management and Information System.

I tried getting information from a local recruiter about joining as a reserver until i finish school, but the guy that i was talking to didn't know alot. He told me he was answeing phones because the person in charge was in another call. I gave my number and they never called me back. :hsd:

burn__

Mar 21, 2006
you cant just 'join' as an officer like you can as enlisted. you have to be accepted (if not doing ROTC). And if you go that route, you aren't given a job/branch until halfway through OCS. So you could end up getting stuck with a branch you never wanted. It happens.

you can go enlisted with a degree as well. i have a few soldiers that have a BA as E4's.

Burrito10

Jun 23, 2004
Arizona
Dont let these dickheads discourage you. You are not too old, its harder to be an officer than just signing a paper. Go to your local recruiter and just ask him everything you want to know and don't let them tell you that they're too busy. Once you do that, come back and post what was discussed and we'll be glad to confirm and correct any info that was given to you.

TS
TS
JJC1823

JJC1823

OT Supporter
Jan 5, 2005
Miami, FL
Dont let these dickheads discourage you. You are not too old, its harder to be an officer than just signing a paper. Go to your local recruiter and just ask him everything you want to know and don't let them tell you that they're too busy. Once you do that, come back and post what was discussed and we'll be glad to confirm and correct any info that was given to you.

Thanks, i was thinking of just giving back to the community that help me become a resident of the US a few years ago. I know that once i get my Bachelor in school i can get a good job, but i was thinking of giving back. Not sure if u understand. Well i will try to go to a recruiter and see what they tell me.

Since you are giving me some pointers, what is the process of becoming an officer with a BA in MIS.

Thanks for your info Burrito10

Wilshire

Dec 26, 2010
Everywhere and nowhere
Why would you want to join the army? Go use your degree in the real world. You'll actually get paid for what you do/know/etc. You won't be some boot answering to morons. Well, you probably will in the real world too, but not to the tune of taking out the trash and mopping the floor.

Drunk Bastard Audio

Oct 19, 2002
Southern Talibanistan
Why would you want to join the army? Go use your degree in the real world. You'll actually get paid for what you do/know/etc. You won't be some boot answering to morons. Well, you probably will in the real world too, but not to the tune of taking out the trash and mopping the floor.

Are the people responding even in the military...seriously - wtf?

When's the last time you saw an officer mop or take out the trash because he/she was "told" to do it? I might do either task every once in a while...but that's because i want to...not because it's expected of me.

To the OP - read the link i posted. Then do research, then come back with more specific questions. Especially if you want to be an officer - you need to learn to exhaust all means possible before asking questions; which means, you shouldn't ask basic questions that could be answered in less then 60 seconds of research.

Wilshire

Dec 26, 2010
Everywhere and nowhere
Are the people responding even in the military...seriously - wtf?

When's the last time you saw an officer mop or take out the trash because he/she was "told" to do it? I might do either task every once in a while...but that's because i want to...not because it's expected of me.

To the OP - read the link i posted. Then do research, then come back with more specific questions. Especially if you want to be an officer - you need to learn to exhaust all means possible before asking questions; which means, you shouldn't ask basic questions that could be answered in less then 60 seconds of research.
I've been in the Corps for 5 years. I've seen boot Lts take out the trash on numerous occasions. I suppose it's possible that they wanted to (yeah fucking right). Hell, I often see Sgts Maj sweeping the floor. It all depends on where you work, and for whom you work. And on top of the shit work, as a butter bar he'll get no respect whatsoever. No REAL respect anyway. And anyone that says otherwise is full of shit, or an oblivious officer themselves.

burn__

Mar 21, 2006
I've been in the Corps for 5 years. I've seen boot Lts take out the trash on numerous occasions. I suppose it's possible that they wanted to (yeah fucking right). Hell, I often see Sgts Maj sweeping the floor. It all depends on where you work, and for whom you work. And on top of the shit work, as a butter bar he'll get no respect whatsoever. No REAL respect anyway. And anyone that says otherwise is full of shit, or an oblivious officer themselves.
hes probably not sweeping because he was "told" to do so. its taking pride in your surroundings. It's not like all officers sit on their ass and let pvts wipe their ass for them. THAT is what makes people lose respect for someone...when they expect someone to do everything for them.

Im not even going to comment on your all "butter bars" (why do only pissed off enlisted use that term?) comment because it seems like youre a jaded soldier who got dicked over on an occasion and youre holding a grudge for no reason.

and to the thread starter, your degree field doesnt matter unless youre wanting to go for medical or get pre-branched into engineering. Everything else just requires a degree, regardless of what field its in.

Wilshire

Dec 26, 2010
Everywhere and nowhere
hes probably not sweeping because he was "told" to do so. its taking pride in your surroundings. It's not like all officers sit on their ass and let pvts wipe their ass for them. THAT is what makes people lose respect for someone...when they expect someone to do everything for them.

Im not even going to comment on your all "butter bars" (why do only pissed off enlisted use that term?) comment because it seems like youre a jaded soldier who got dicked over on an occasion and youre holding a grudge for no reason.

and to the thread starter, your degree field doesnt matter unless youre wanting to go for medical or get pre-branched into engineering. Everything else just requires a degree, regardless of what field its in.
I'm not a soldier, as is indicated by saying that I'm in the Corps. Calling me a soldier is a direct (and if you're in the military, you know the difference, so it was intentional) insult, and I ask that you please not do it again.
Butter bars is a very common term for 2nd Lts. Maybe all enlisted are just pissed off. Or maybe it's just a Marine Corps thing.
And I'm in a unique MOS community, so my interaction with officers is probably different than others. I'm trying to turnover so I can leave Afghanistan, and our officers are seemingly going out of their way to fuck with us. So I was probably angry for my other posts. I'm pretty angry now, and am trying very hard not to let it corrupt my posts.

To the thread starter; good on you for wanting to give back. There are times when you will hate life, but there are good times too. Good luck getting your commission.

Cliffs
I was just having a bitter couple of days.
Marines are not soldiers, everybody here should know better.
Good luck to thread starter.

Emanon

Sep 24, 2003
AZ
I'm not a soldier, as is indicated by saying that I'm in the Corps. Calling me a soldier is a direct (and if you're in the military, you know the difference, so it was intentional) insult, and I ask that you please not do it again.

Being called a soldier is an insult?

Sigh....

Wilshire

Dec 26, 2010
Everywhere and nowhere
Yes. Each of the branches should be proud to be called by another's title. And if we were all held to the same set of standards, that may be the case. But these branches were not created equally, and calling one by another's name will almost always offend.

CommanderFish

OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2011
South Jersey
Last edited:

GiRaff3

Sep 2, 2003
PA
Reasoning behind my earlier post: If this guy is going to graduate college soon, but can't even properly research the military or get in touch with a recruiter, then I am going to go out on a limb and say he isn't the brightest bulb on the strand of Christmas lights.

Turning the hate off...
Seriously though, recruiting officers is much more difficult than enlisted, there aren't as many people with degrees interested. They should be massaging your nuts while blowing you, bending over backwards for you. So long as you aren't fat, riddled with diseases, and don't abuse drugs, I am sure you can get in. Do yourself a favor now, if you aren't athletic or in shape, and start preparing yourself physically. RUN. DO PUSH UPS AND SIT UPS. EAT BETTER.

Do a little research, put together a few well thought out questions, and then come back here, I will gladly do my best to answer them.

GiRaff3

Sep 2, 2003
PA
Warrant Officer, look that up

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/wogeninfo_mos.html

Look at the 250 -254 MOS

edit...

You have to be enlisted in the army and reach E-5 before you can become a IT Warrant Officer.

Go the normal officer route if you like.

Here is link for information on how to go that route.

http://www.goarmy.com/about/service-options/enlisted-soldiers-and-officers/commissioned-officer.html

Really though, don't even remotely look into warrant if you have a degree. Becoming a warrant is NOT GUARANTEED and will take a few years of hard work, and other promotions, to achieve.

idesofmarch

Jun 29, 2005
California
Butter bars is a very common term for 2nd Lts. Maybe all enlisted are just pissed off. Or maybe it's just a Marine Corps thing.
And I'm in a unique MOS community, so my interaction with officers is probably different than others. I'm trying to turnover so I can leave Afghanistan, and our officers are seemingly going out of their way to fuck with us. So I was probably angry for my other posts. I'm pretty angry now, and am trying very hard not to let it corrupt my posts.

To the thread starter; good on you for wanting to give back. There are times when you will hate life, but there are good times too. Good luck getting your commission.

Cliffs
I was just having a bitter couple of days.
Marines are not soldiers, everybody here should know better.
Good luck to thread starter.

first of all this dude needs to chill out.

second of all be ready to run a perfect pft and show that the only reason you live and breathe is to lead others by example.

burn__

Mar 21, 2006
youre posting in a 'wanting to join the ARMY' thread; Soldier is going to be used. get used to it.

to the thread starter: Its not as easy to get in through OCS as it was a few years ago. Recruiting has tightened up since they've had an influx of people wanting to join. The interview selection rates to be accepted dropped from just about everyone being accepted to them rarely having a board (depending on your location). So you could be 300+ apft, 4.0 GPA grad, but if the board decides after their interview that youre not officer material...youre SOL. You have to show them you have what it takes to become a leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor