CAR Question about prepping a car for paint

ay thunderrcat

You can have all the hoes, I'm gon keep the women.
Apr 18, 2004
THA COV, LA, CA
Want to prep a car before i take it to the body shop to get it painted to save some $$... where do i start?

I have a DA sander, what materials do i need?

I just want to have it sanded down, and have the body shop throw on its own primer, color, and clear.

thanks!

wagonproject

Jan 16, 2005
Michigan
Well first you need to read up, go grab a book at your local book store on autobody.

I hate when people come into the shop thinking they can prep a vehicle and have it painted, that way saving them cash. In the long run it doesn't work out, as we take more time fixing their mistakes, etc. And I am not going to paint over someones work that I have no clue whats been done.

Its going to be a messy job, more so if your car is single stage now. You need a lot more then a DA sander. You need all different size blocks, some "curvable," filler (please don't buy the "bondo" brand and putty. And then if you have dents, hammers, dollies, etc.

Morgan06

Jan 19, 2006
ELM, MA
Want to prep a car before i take it to the body shop to get it painted to save some $$... where do i start?

I have a DA sander, what materials do i need?

I just want to have it sanded down, and have the body shop throw on its own primer, color, and clear.

thanks!

Scuffing up the big flat sections of panel is the easiest part of prep work and takes almost no time so I don't think that sanding yourself will save much money. Unless you remove all the trim beforehand, don't limit yourself to the exterior- do the jambs and interior masking, and deliver the vehicle in that condition it may not be worth it. Additionally, the body shop is going to either say 'You did the prep, and don't want to pay- so you get what you get' or 'You did the prep, and we have to redo everything anyway to make it right'.

If it were me painting it- unless I knew your capabilities firsthand, felt confident in you handling the task, and wanted to cut you a deal I wouldn't touch it.

That said, go spend some time on hotrodders.com where I'm sure you'll be able to find a thread on the subject.

MartyFukstein

OT Supporter
May 10, 2005
Well first you need to read up, go grab a book at your local book store on autobody.

I hate when people come into the shop thinking they can prep a vehicle and have it painted, that way saving them cash. In the long run it doesn't work out, as we take more time fixing their mistakes, etc. And I am not going to paint over someones work that I have no clue whats been done.

Its going to be a messy job, more so if your car is single stage now. You need a lot more then a DA sander. You need all different size blocks, some "curvable," filler (please don't buy the "bondo" brand and putty. And then if you have dents, hammers, dollies, etc.

:werd:

98% of shops aren't going to give you a discount for preping your car.

If anything, they'll charge you more because they'll have to troubleshoot your prep first.

If you really want to save money, just give the car to the painter as is.

Pussysmith

Banned
Oct 23, 2004
Yeah don't do your own prep unless you are going to a really low rate shop. Also remember that bondo cannot go over rust and is best applied to bare, clean metal. On that note: don't use bondo as it has terrible expansion and adhesion qualities.

wagonproject

Jan 16, 2005
Michigan
Good choice mate! Though im sure you could do it if you read a lot and were willing to buy the supplies! Make sure to post pics with whatever you decide!

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448