ART Question about pricing some wedding photo "accessories"...

NCTRNL

May 10, 2004
Kansas City
I have a bride asking for two things I've never done before so I don't have a lot of experience pricing them.

She wants an album and possibly a "photo booth" at her wedding. The album is basically just a question of how much markup do I build into the price. I know I'll have to design it but I'm not sure how much work actually goes into that.

The photo booth is going to be a backdrop, strobes, a camera on a tripod, and a pocket wizard trigger with a monitor to display images. Not really sure how to price that.

I know this is probably annoying to some of you but I figured I would throw it out there...

TS
TS
NCTRNL

NCTRNL

May 10, 2004
Kansas City
Yeah, I'm not going to be printing them, but I would like to figure out how to display them. That may prove to be more trouble than it's worth though.

I was going to use a PocketWizard as a wireless trigger for the pictures.

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
Albums range in price from a couple hundred bucks to thousands. A good rule of thumb is to mark up the cost of the album by x 3 at a minimum. This covers your costs, design costs and time for you to retouch all the images.

I sell albums by Black River Imaging and my clients love them. I have a lady in MD who designs all my layouts because album design is not my strong suit. I don't make much money on albums but a lot of photographers do.

I will be branching out and offering different choices for albums in the near future and will probably have to mark them up a bit more.

As for a photo booth, I would be very wary of leaving your gear where drunk guests can mess with it. You might want to hire an assistant for $50 to run it for you.

mojito

Mar 8, 2003
have them rent a proper photo booth, saves you the head ache and they get what they want

for albums, you need to know:
who will design it
who will print it
style
album manufacturer, many will only deal with businesses with tax id #s
how much time will go into designing it, shipping it . . .

1992 240SX

Jan 10, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Tether to a laptop so they can view them? I'm pretty sure there are cards out there that work with wifi, so you won't need to deal with a wire.

charles foster kane

Feb 14, 2007
Croatia
Tether to a laptop so they can view them? I'm pretty sure there are cards out there that work with wifi, so you won't need to deal with a wire.
Can you really charge hundreds of dollars for the package addition then display it on a 14" laptop screen? rofl

I'd be taking the 40" from the loungeroom on the backseat of my car and running that as the monitor. It won't cost you any more except a bit of pissing about

Goontz

Feb 8, 2011
Texas
have them rent a proper photo booth, saves you the head ache and they get what they want
This. There's vendors that do just photo booths. It will save you the headache and probably have a better outcome for your client.

We had one at my wedding and he was printing little strips on the spot and putting them into an album to display so people could look through them. We also later got digital files of them all.

bobasaur

Feb 17, 2009
Taipei
Albums range in price from a couple hundred bucks to thousands. A good rule of thumb is to mark up the cost of the album by x 3 at a minimum. This covers your costs, design costs and time for you to retouch all the images.

I sell albums by Black River Imaging and my clients love them. I have a lady in MD who designs all my layouts because album design is not my strong suit. I don't make much money on albums but a lot of photographers do.

I will be branching out and offering different choices for albums in the near future and will probably have to mark them up a bit more.

As for a photo booth, I would be very wary of leaving your gear where drunk guests can mess with it. You might want to hire an assistant for $50 to run it for you.

Great advice!

TS
TS
NCTRNL

NCTRNL

May 10, 2004
Kansas City
I've shot several weddings and corporate events and haven't had an issue yet. :dunno:

But the guests don't touch any equipment, just the remote (~$20). Everything else is sandbagged down and surrounded by table/chairs so they can't touch it. Works great.

Not sure how well it will go with a pocketwizard since it is just like him sitting there pressing the shutter release. i would highly recommend the wired remote so they can do it themselves.

I was going to let them have the PocketWizard and press the button themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan