TECH Quick SEO Question

Major Tom

Mar 10, 2003
England
I host the blog of a friend of mine on my server - it's pretty popular, gets a shitload of traffic, and has a PR6.

He links to my site on his homepage - would I get more benefit from this if my own site was on a different server? I've got a couple of servers so moving my own site to a different one isn't a problem.

Swerve

Feb 20, 2005
I would say so, lots of people say being on a different C class IP helps, but how much is a guess.

trev.the.enemy

Jun 26, 2006
Midwest
Class C is irrelevant.

Google looks at a range of information to decide whether two sites are related, looking at the third octet of the IP is not a reliable method of doing so.

:werd:

The only way it'd really affect you is if you have 20 link farms on the same IP, with the same content, just different domains.

Outside of that, unique content should be your goal.

Don't listen to a lot of the hype on some SEO blogs about random stuff :o

SPACECATAZ

Dec 22, 2006
Relevant backlinks are more important in the long term for maintaining your position in the SERPs. That's why the guys who spam 10,000 scrapebox blog comments to their main site drop off the radar after a couple of weeks if they don't keep their link velocity steady. Which seems to be a common mistake made by noobies entering the SEO game imho.

LOLZILLA

Jul 11, 2004
Relevancy and try out a dedicated IP on either domain.

See if that dedicated IP helped out or not.

Report your findings.

SeaDog

Jan 12, 2011
LOL its all bullshit made up by the hosts to sell you more shit.

I have a large blog network many of which rank #1 #2 or #3 for their respected keyword(s) and they are all on the same server and on the same IP.

blinger

I have a large blog network many of which rank #1 #2 or #3 for their respected keyword(s) and they are all on the same server and on the same IP.

:werd:

a few sites on the same IP won't make a difference.

provide unique content and media and you will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan