Rally vehicle suggestions ...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Lynx, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Lynx

Lynx Guest

Got any ideas of good cars to turn into Rally ones....besides the Subaru WRX. Any cheap hatchbacks or any AWD cars that can be buitl up.... if you have any before and after pics of your vehicles or just any others, please post em ... thnxs....

2. Biohamhock

Biohamhock wtb traction

mazda 323 GTX

3. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

4. Lynx

Lynx Guest

why that...

5. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

Cheap, reliable, great handling.

Any other reason? :bigthumb:

6. Lynx

Lynx Guest

got any pics .... ? .. like before (factory) and after....

7. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

323 GTX :rolleyes: you'd be better off with a 90-92 DSM, much better aftermarket support/more vendors then the 323 GTX

since you live in cali you've got www.roadraceengineering.com right in your back yard and they work on both kinds of cars 323 GTX and DSMS :big grin:

the 323 GTX's are like celica all tracs rare and barley any vendor support because the manufacturer only brought the car over for limited imports and only for 2-3 years

i know here in the NE you can find 90-92 AWD talons for $1000-2500 depending on condition. i've been wanting to get another dsm but i think i'm going to get either an 89 raider/montero or a mighty max not sure which yet prob the mighty max since i still need a pickup when i get rid of my old one :o

8. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

My mom won a couple of local events in an old 510. If your just looking to get started and get some practice in, I'd say something like an old mazda, or datsun would be fun. Rear wheel drive is more diffucult for rallying, but those that can pull it off, are the best drivers. (and the most fun to watch too)

Besides, that way, when you drive it into a tree for the first time, it won't cost you a fortune to get it fixed. (if it's fixable that is)

9. Guest

Guest Guest

10. 12xalt

12xalt petrolsexual

Hey, I actually know Ben of Ben's rally page. Nice guy.

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I agree with the DSM option.

The 323 is a nice car, but unfortunatly it has some problems.
    The biggest issuebeing its short wheel base. Its very wobbly at high speed, and they have a relativly high COG. Which added with a short wheelbase, isnt a good idea.

Plus you need to remember that efective the 2002 season, THe SCCA is inacting a 15 year limit on the age of cars. I dont think this will affect club rally so much, but if you ever get to the place where you have enough experence/wins to Po-Rally, you will need a newer car. So keep that in mind. And definatly get in contact with yout local SCCA club/pro rally official, and check on rules for participating.

BTW, Ben is a great guy.