SPORTS Rashad Evans leaves Greg Jackson's Camp to fight Jones

halflife78

WTF MATE??
Aug 11, 2004
Atlanta Area
Not sure why it's not being reported in any of the US sites, popped up on my BB when I checked ESPN this morning.

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/79866.html

Rashad Evans looks set for a light-heavyweight showdown with Jon Jones after splitting with coach Greg Jackson.

Evans had previously stated he would not fight training partner and friend Jones for the light-heavyweight belt, should Jones beat Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 128 on Saturday.

Jackson was unwilling to allow his two fighters to go head-to-head in the Octagon, but UFC president Dana White had called for the pair to not let their friendship get in the way of a much-anticipated match-up.

Evans, who is the No. 1 title contender but missed out on a shot at Rua after picking up a knee injury, appears to be willing to do anything to have a shot at the belt, and has no intention of returning to Jackson's camp in the future.

"What's gonna happen is, the team's are gonna split apart," Evans said. "If I know there's a chance I'm training with Jon and Greg's training with Jon, I'm not gonna train with Greg any more, ever again.

"I need my coach to always be able to coach me no matter who I'm gonna fight. If he can't do that, I don't feel that there's a use for me having him as my coach."

TS
TS
halflife78

halflife78

WTF MATE??
Aug 11, 2004
Atlanta Area
I think it's a little early to assume Jones is going to win first of all.:mamoru:

I do say i agree with Rashad on this, the last line in the story said it best for me. If I am fighting in the UFC I don't give a damn if it is my teammate, my goal is to win a belt one way or another.

IntheWorks

windin film.. takin pics
Jun 30, 2001
earth
Who the fuck is looking forward to watching Rashad Evans fight?

maybe this guy

man-who-watches-paint-dry02.jpg

checkii

ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว
Jun 29, 2003
rain street
A little bit butthurt and presumptuous by Rashad.
thats because you didnt see the whole story. Looks like Jones is playing dirty politics. And like always, Greg jackson is going to give up on one of the fighters that made him famous so that he can have a champ at his gym.
Rashad Evans apeared yesterday on his "Suga and Pep" segment of Pro MMA Radio. Rashad new role on PMR every week has been well received, thanks in part to his refreshing candor and honesty, which were on display. The quote immediately below is from towards the close of the show.

"I just have to sit down and decide on whats its going to be, because whatever it is going to be, there is no going back. There is no making it better. There is no going back to the team after it is done."

"If we agree to fight, if we say we are going to fight, it's over."

"If theres a chance I am going to fight someone then I want to be able to keep an advantage somehow. If we are both drinking from the same well, learning the same knowledge, with the same camp, with the same partners, then how am I going to surprise them? He knows what I know."

"I would need to divorce myself from the situation and just start over, and come with something new. I would divorce myself from the crew, from Jackson's"

"Trevor would be separate because he is at Grudge. on rtrains in Albuquerque, so I just would divorce myself from albequerque and from training with Greg."

- Jones signed up at Jackson's under the proviso that he would NEVER fight any of the other Jackson's fighters.

- Rashad talked with Jones after the interview he gave where Jones said that he would fight him. Rashad was very surprised. Jones had never expressed this. The interview was pretaped and Rashad never received a call or text alerting him to it. His reaction on ESPN was one of surprise when he said "I'm not a punk; if he says he'll fight me, I'll fight him."

- They had a conversation afterward and Rashad left feeling like there was more that needed to be discussed...this bridge would be crossed when it needed to be.

- Rashad was asked about Jones' frustrated comments on the media conference call where Jones first said he wouldn't be taking Rashad into the cage with him though he was his friend and went on to say: "I have a lot of people outside of Rashad who I can draw energy and power from and they'll all be with me."

- "That does sound a little bit cold-blooded", Rashad replied after hearing the above quote. "Jon's a young guy and when you're a young guy sometimes you talk a little too fast for your brain to keep up...I don't think it's acceptable at all. I don't think it's something I'd say."

- Next, this Jones quote was brought up by Pepe: "I absolutely hate when people mention Rashad Evans, especially throughout this training camp....for people to even be mentioning Rashad Evans right now...I think it's ludicrous. Rashad is not in my mind, he's not in my being, he has absolutely zero to do with my heart and who I am right now. This guy has nothing to do with Shogun and from here on out, I don't think I'll answer a question about Rashad."
Rashad replied with "it sounds like he wants to fight, huh? Those sound like fighting words". He went on to say, "Ya know, I don't know how to judge the kid. It's kinda messed up, to be honest. Ya know, I can't control what anyone else says and it sounds to me like he's a little bit insecure about the whole thing. Sometimes when you open your mouth you show what you're afraid of more than anything. I don't know why he has such an adverse response like that to me. I've never challenged him or made him feel like he should do that sort of thing. It sounds to me -- if I was out of the situation -- that he was feeling insecure about me [not Shogun responding to Pepe's point]."

- Rashad goes on to point out fairly eloquently about how you have to answer reporters' questions to the best of your ability. You can't just expect to not talk about a situation where you stepped in for a friend and training partner in a title fight who was injured. He does say that that made Jon "sound like a baby".

- When asked to rank his feelings toward fighting Jones on a scale of 1-10, Rashad didn't say how likely he would be to fight Jon but said his mind is very open to it because of how things have gone. He's finding out that his teammate may fight him over TV and that this is not how things are done. Out of respect to the coach and Jon, he'll talk to them before he pulls the trigger.

- Rashad says that he's been working a lot with Trevor Wittman over the last few camps. Trevor is his guy and he's been spending time with him including the last two camps. By the way Rashad is talking, it seems like he doesn't have a problem fighting his training partners; that he agrees with Trevor. It sounds like Rashad had enough respect for Greg Jackson's agreement to not fight his training partners that he went along with Jackson's law. Now that the school has grown and Jones has said he would fight Evans and Jackson has not intervened and restated his mandate that Jones never fight any training partners, things may be different.

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
:rofl: I like how he makes it sound like they're going to fight because Jones hurt his feelings, not because they're professionals trying for the same title.

EyeHateThis

Jan 6, 2004
[y]hCX9pXCCZy8[/y]

First part of the video is about faggot Evans and what not. White also says that Brandon Vera is back in the UFC after Silva's "issues." :squint:

Khaaz

May 27, 2007
Bay Area
I totally saw this coming. The same thing happened to Diego Sanchez when GSP joined Jacksons camp.

Jackson always wants to have the best fighters in the game training at his camp, even if it means he has to screw over his current friends/fighters.

If Anderson Silva wanted to join Jackson's training camp i guarantee Jackson would accept him, and then Nate Marquardt would be shit outta luck; then Nate would be kinda forced to find a new camp if he still wants to be champ.

checkii

ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว
Jun 29, 2003
rain street
I totally saw this coming. The same thing happened to Diego Sanchez when GSP joined Jacksons camp.

Jackson always wants to have the best fighters in the game training at his camp, even if it means he has to screw over his current friends/fighters.

If Anderson Silva wanted to join Jackson's training camp i guarantee Jackson would accept him, and then Nate Marquardt would be shit outta luck; then Nate would be kinda forced to find a new camp if he still wants to be champ.

:werd:

I really don't care for that camp. Kind of hope karma bites him in the ass, Jones gets KD'd, Rashad leaves, GSP moves back to montreal, and clay guida cuts his hair.

JJ

Feb 23, 2010
Earth
It could be from what Checkii has said lately but I DO get this odd arrogant feeling from Jones. Do you guys see that happening? Something about him says he's a dick. I am more fond of Anderson's personality than Jone's if what I am picking up on is correct.

jay59

Jun 25, 2003
I think Jones is on the border line between cocky and very confident. He is still humble in many ways and respected shogun. I'd be cocky too if I was 23, trained for 3 years and fucking smashed everyone including the champ.

NUDES

May 19, 2007
I have this weird feeling about the Evans/Jones fight. The last time I got this feeling was when GSP got knocked the fuck out by matt serra. I don't think Jones will lose but for some reason I don't think Evans will look like nearly as much of a pushover as Shogun did.

And I hate to say this, but it won't be a boring fight. Why? Because Jones is fighting. I hate the guy, but there is no such thing as a fight that Jones is in as being boring. He is very entertaining

Fabian

Mar 26, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
And as much as I think Jones is gonna push his shit in.....

Rashart will probably fucking win, just because that 205 belt is a bigger whore than Tito Ortiz girlfriend.

BritishHumpingWitch

Dec 19, 2007
Inside Hendo's groin guard
It could be from what Checkii has said lately but I DO get this odd arrogant feeling from Jones. Do you guys see that happening? Something about him says he's a dick. I am more fond of Anderson's personality than Jone's if what I am picking up on is correct.

I think alot of people think he comes off as being cocky, but I don't see it as that, tbh. I think he's just a very confidant individual.:dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan