Readers: are there different qualities of glass lenses

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
I’m fairly new to reading glasses. I wear 1.25. Picked up a 3 pack of glasses from Costco and noticed after the first couple days, the lenses always look smokey even after i clean them. I assume it’s because they are inexpensive/cheap.
Are there different qualities of lenses used for readers? I want to buy some better ones from Amazon but not sure what to look for so the “glass” is better quality.
suggestions?

Asdf1

Oct 11, 2005
lol needing reading glasses

I only need glasses for driving/distance so..

psykosis

FFS aka Ferrari's Favorite Strategy
Oct 31, 2001
Listing between sin and salvation
I’m fairly new to reading glasses. I wear 1.25. Picked up a 3 pack of glasses from Costco and noticed after the first couple days, the lenses always look smokey even after i clean them. I assume it’s because they are inexpensive/cheap.
Are there different qualities of lenses used for readers? I want to buy some better ones from Amazon but not sure what to look for so the “glass” is better quality.
suggestions?

First, I sadly can't do much to specifically help you. I work in a wholesale optical lab, and it's hard to get favors done for anyone outside my immediate family, especially now as we're going through a buy-out.

That said, here's the rundown on your issue...

Off the shelf reading glasses are made as cheaply as possible for the most part. They will be either plastic (CR39) or polycarbonate lenses, and likely won't have much in the way of scratch coatings on them. It's odd they are turning smoky on you, so I'm not sure exactly what the issue with that is. But, no matter which store you get them from, they're all likely to be about the same quality. If you want GOOD ones, you'd have to see an eye doc and have them custom made. Plastic or poly would be fine, as long as they are properly coated, ideally with an anti-reflective coating, though a traditional hard coat (ask for TD2) would work as well. But, be prepared to pay. They may be readers, but the manufacturing process is the same as it is for any regular prescription glasses. You might get away with ordering them online from a place like Zenni, as long as you can specify the extra hard coat.

In terms of materials, plastic is the cheapest but also some of the best optics, it is just also the thickest (won't matter on a +1.25) and easy to scratch (won't matter with additional scratch coat). Poly is thinner and more scratch resistant, but has the worst optics. The molymers used to create them have improved over the years, so some of the traditional issues (black specks from the carbon, chromatic abberations) aren't really a thing anymore, but the optics are still what they have been, and poly has the lowest value of any material on the market. For readers, those are the only two materials I'd concern myself with. Trivex is a nice happy medium (scratch resistance of poly, optics of plastic), but it's more expensive.

After a quick google search, the ones from https://eyeosreaders.com/ also look like they could be decent. They don't mention the material (I assume plastic), but they are ashperic (a nice bonus) and have the additional coatings I'd be looking for. I can't say they would be as good as a custom pair made with a Crizal or TD2 coating, but they're likely in the ballpark.

Tommy

Long Member Standing
Apr 12, 2001
NYC
@psykosis

Hey, is there a big difference between manufactures like Warby Parker and online retailers like Zenni? I my 6yr old daughter needed glasses due to an early caught lazy eye.

We bought a pair from Warby Parker and they were cute but i found a couple more pairs online with Zenni that I knew she would like. I took advantage of the Black Friday sale to buy two more pairs ( more to be backups in case glasses are smashed/lost).

She loves the Zenni more so they are now her daily drivers. The lenses look decent and I made sure to note the PD when we got her first pair from WP. I imagine they are decent lenses but thought I would ask.

psykosis

FFS aka Ferrari's Favorite Strategy
Oct 31, 2001
Listing between sin and salvation
@psykosis

Hey, is there a big difference between manufactures like Warby Parker and online retailers like Zenni? I my 6yr old daughter needed glasses due to an early caught lazy eye.

We bought a pair from Warby Parker and they were cute but i found a couple more pairs online with Zenni that I knew she would like. I took advantage of the Black Friday sale to buy two more pairs ( more to be backups in case glasses are smashed/lost).

She loves the Zenni more so they are now her daily drivers. The lenses look decent and I made sure to note the PD when we got her first pair from WP. I imagine they are decent lenses but thought I would ask.

Nah, they're all in the same ballpark. If she likes the Zenni ones, go with it.

Lenses should be poly or trivex though, imo. Kids do kid things, and can use the impact resistance.

Reactions: Tommy

Tommy

Long Member Standing
Apr 12, 2001
NYC
Nah, they're all in the same ballpark. If she likes the Zenni ones, go with it.

Lenses should be poly or trivex though, imo. Kids do kid things, and can use the impact resistance.

Yeah, I ordered them with the Poly lenses. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
First, I sadly can't do much to specifically help you. I work in a wholesale optical lab, and it's hard to get favors done for anyone outside my immediate family, especially now as we're going through a buy-out.

That said, here's the rundown on your issue...

Off the shelf reading glasses are made as cheaply as possible for the most part. They will be either plastic (CR39) or polycarbonate lenses, and likely won't have much in the way of scratch coatings on them. It's odd they are turning smoky on you, so I'm not sure exactly what the issue with that is. But, no matter which store you get them from, they're all likely to be about the same quality. If you want GOOD ones, you'd have to see an eye doc and have them custom made. Plastic or poly would be fine, as long as they are properly coated, ideally with an anti-reflective coating, though a traditional hard coat (ask for TD2) would work as well. But, be prepared to pay. They may be readers, but the manufacturing process is the same as it is for any regular prescription glasses. You might get away with ordering them online from a place like Zenni, as long as you can specify the extra hard coat.

In terms of materials, plastic is the cheapest but also some of the best optics, it is just also the thickest (won't matter on a +1.25) and easy to scratch (won't matter with additional scratch coat). Poly is thinner and more scratch resistant, but has the worst optics. The molymers used to create them have improved over the years, so some of the traditional issues (black specks from the carbon, chromatic abberations) aren't really a thing anymore, but the optics are still what they have been, and poly has the lowest value of any material on the market. For readers, those are the only two materials I'd concern myself with. Trivex is a nice happy medium (scratch resistance of poly, optics of plastic), but it's more expensive.

After a quick google search, the ones from https://eyeosreaders.com/ also look like they could be decent. They don't mention the material (I assume plastic), but they are ashperic (a nice bonus) and have the additional coatings I'd be looking for. I can't say they would be as good as a custom pair made with a Crizal or TD2 coating, but they're likely in the ballpark.
I believe this is the best thread response I have ever read. Lol
Thank you.

TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Welcome to the new OT. Threads about home appliances and reading glasses.
Looks pretty good though, don’t it?

N1IYyEm.jpg

4c5oexD.jpg

Reactions: Tommy and saabguy

Tommy

Long Member Standing
Apr 12, 2001
NYC
inordinate amount of junkfood, hot dogs, fingerprints, dasani recycled toilet water, poverty pre-packaged meals, cold brew old bean coffee, non-simple human branded trash bags

That cut deeper than a nail hanging out of a wooden plank.

Reactions: hipberri

hipberri

Jan 27, 2016
is that a dent/scratch on the fridge? that would piss me off every time i look at it

JerseyAhole

Pasta-Salad President, Yeti King
OT Supporter
Feb 9, 2010
Take a Fuckin' Guess?
I’m fairly new to reading

Are there different qualities of lenses used for readers?

Congrats on learning to read.. about fucking time you moron...

And no bro, there are no quality difference, they are all the same.. how about stop being a cheap bitch and spend the money for a good pair...

:big grin:

TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Congrats on learning to read.. about fucking time you moron...

And no bro, there are no quality difference, they are all the same.. how about stop being a cheap bitch and spend the money for a good pair...

:big grin:
eat my ass, from the front.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026