FIT really bad squat rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

grampositivecocci

Jan 15, 2004
Hi guys,

I have developed a really bad squat rotation, during my decent my torso rotates to the right, so that my left shoulder is further forward than my right, this is also accompanied by more anterior translation of the left knee.

What is tight, what is weak etc.

This is fucking frustrating.

Perkwunos

Dog Bones
OT Supporter
Aug 24, 2004
Abu Dhabi, UAE
You might have a back, hip, or some other injury, causing you to use one side of your body more than the other. Could you post a video?

I used to see high school or new lifters do this allot, maybe try completely changing your squat stance for a month or two, and then revert back to the previous stance.

TS
TS

grampositivecocci

Jan 15, 2004
I don't have a video, according to mate at the gym it is a marked rotation but feet don't appear be collapsing inwards or moving around either. I think it is hip related.

knucks

Jul 14, 2004
Could be hip mobility then..I guess I'd check internal/external rotation and compare both sides. Probably check hip flexion as well..Is this something that happens with any weight or just when you get heavier?

brasheye

Rotary Crew
Jan 1, 2005
Sydney - AU
Like me bro, stronger left quad/hammy. Frustrating as shot. I've been doing single legged squats and leg press and slowly ironing out imbalances.

Falconer

Jun 23, 2006
maybe try completely changing your squat stance for a month or two, and then revert back to the previous stance.
This may be worth a try.

I have a similar issue when I squat with a shoulder width stance, but it goes away when I do a wider stance...

...which sucks cuz I hate doing it with a wider stance.

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
This is a normal pelvic alignment imbalance. We generically call it the shift at the gym. Same shit they teach at the postural realignment institute (PRI).

Because of your liver being on one side of the body, the left side of the diaphram is different the right. I forget which one is stronger/larger. Anyway most people naturally want to stand on their right foot and rotate the torso to the right. Their left hip rotates slightly more forward and anteriorly (like when you step with your left leg forward). Over time this affects a bunch of shit, glutes, obliques, etc. so that each side isn't quite the same.

I've not really worked on it much, but a few of the dudes in the gym have fixed theirs. Basically you want to do more work on the weak side to strengthen it (left?). So you can do a plate squat where you hold the plate/kettlebell out front over the weak side and squat in to that weak side (left?). You can move your strong foot slightly forward to emphasize sitting back into that left side.

Another one you can do is jump in the cable cross over. Stand in a split stance with left leg forward. You want to do a cable row with your left arm, while simultaneously doing a cable push with your right arm. So you face the left stack of weights (that you're rowing with). So your resisting the force that wants to rotate you to the right. This helps with that twist.

There's much more sophisticated solutions, but I'm really not a PRI expert as I'm too lazy to do it most of the time.

Next up have someone watch you very carefully while you squat and que you when you start to shift. Volume doing perfect squats will help you recognize when you're fucking up at higher weights.

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb
:rly: I assumed that you were after you fucked up the name of it

It's ok, Bill's not a PRI expert either.

Lol restoration. Bill has at least taken the course, I've only watched a couple of the videos. Bill's pretty much an expert on everything. It's freakish really. Some of my bros will argue that not everyone fits their prototype, but a nomal squat shift like this is a classic example.

The thing I don't like about PRI is the lack of intensity to most of their fundamental movements. You need to do them like 3 times per day every day. The two I've listed above come from guys who've got it to work.

Have you seen the breathing stuff? That shit is like magic at least the manual therapy parts. Have some one push on your left diaphragm and try to breath out the right upper lung. Bam you get more shoulder rotation out of nowhere and feel awesome, fingers in the pussy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448