Really old houseplants, do you have any?

12xalt

I lost a bet, that's why
Super Moderator
Sep 14, 2001
Hazel Dell, WA (Portland, OR)
When Oregon was burning this summer, and I went to help my mom evacuate, as I was packing the cat into my car, I decided to also take her really old Asparagus Fern with me. I've long since returned the cat, but she told me I could keep the plant.

Turns out it was my great grandmother's plant, and she had it before my grandma was born in 1916.

After looking up info on them, I think my mom keeps her place too cold and that's why it's been struggling the last 15 or so years.

Any of the rest of you degenerates have some ancient foliage living in your home?

Here's the poor baby. I've ordered some trellis things for it, and just fed it some fish food (holy fucking stinky) and I plan to re-pot it at some point (and get rid of the tacky shamrock). Oh, and I've started misting it every day too.

P_20210125_183555_vHDR_On.jpg

Last edited:

MWHC22

Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor
May 10, 2001
Wisconsin/Utah
damn thats an ancient plant! I have a palm tree that is about 13 yrs old and a few small trees (mandarin orange or christmas spruce) at my parents house that are about 30-35 yrs old but 100+ yrs is amazing

Reactions: 12xalt
Dec 31, 2008
Yup! Mom thinks it's probably around 120-130 :eek3:
That's nuts. Only houseplant I've ever owned was given to me about 6 years ago. It's a bamboo thing and I have no idea how I've managed to keep it alive this long. It actually looks good and it's grown quite a bit.

TS
TS
12xalt

12xalt

I lost a bet, that's why
Super Moderator
Sep 14, 2001
damn thats an ancient plant! I have a palm tree that is about 13 yrs old and a few small trees (mandarin orange or christmas spruce) at my parents house that are about 30-35 yrs old but 100+ yrs is amazing
One of my other plants I've had since I was around 20, and I'll hit 50 this year. Roommate's old gf that lived here for a bit almost killed it when she re-potted it. Took about 5 to get it looking good again.

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
I just have my pathos plant that is probably... 10 years old? I cut it back when we moved last though so I separated it into three pots and they're just starting to fall.

In the last year though I've purchased a good 30 or so house plants. They get only the best distilled water now :scootin:

Reactions: 12xalt and MWHC22
TS
TS
12xalt

12xalt

I lost a bet, that's why
Super Moderator
Sep 14, 2001
That's nuts. Only houseplant I've ever owned was given to me about 6 years ago. It's a bamboo thing and I have no idea how I've managed to keep it alive this long. It actually looks good and it's grown quite a bit.
:cool: One of my roommates has a little bamboo thing, but she's not good with plants, and I don't seem to be doing much better with it :(

quzur

Mar 15, 2000
Chicago
When my grandma died in 1996 she was rooting a philodendron. I planted it and it has been with me ever since. It’s been repotted a few times. Moved 5-6 times and had to be cut back because of the moves. It’s back to being about 12 feet long on some vines.

Type2

Suck my Amex
OT Supporter
Apr 26, 2002
Porky's
I had a dracaena marganita that was well over 30 years old and almost 10 feet tall. When I was out of the country for a few months last year my housekeeper overwatered it and it never recovered

• Sad
TS
TS
12xalt

12xalt

I lost a bet, that's why
Super Moderator
Sep 14, 2001
I just have my pathos plant that is probably... 10 years old? I cut it back when we moved last though so I separated it into three pots and they're just starting to fall.

In the last year though I've purchased a good 30 or so house plants. They get only the best distilled water now :scootin:
google has me thinking that's what my 30 year old hanging plant is (I have three, but only one is super old)

I'm too cheap to give mine distilled water :o

Reactions: Colleen

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor