TECH Realtek AC97 onboard audio vs. Soundblaster Live! PCI card...

Wolf68k

OT Supporter
Dec 18, 2003
4,859
Houston, Texas
depends on the specs of the on-board audio
Over all I think it would be better. If you're a gamer you might even get some more options for the sound settings.

If the SBLive card is not a 5.1 card, then you might not notice anything as far as quality.

The AC'97 on-board I had on one mobo was completely fucked so I got a SBLive 5.1 OEM card and fixed a lot of my problems.
Even with the mobo I have now I'd still rather use a real sound card rather than the on-board.
 
TS
TS
PC Principle

PC Principle

New Member
Mar 12, 2004
64,016
Wolf68k said:
depends on the specs of the on-board audio
Over all I think it would be better. If you're a gamer you might even get some more options for the sound settings.

If the SBLive card is not a 5.1 card, then you might not notice anything as far as quality.

The AC'97 on-board I had on one mobo was completely fucked so I got a SBLive 5.1 OEM card and fixed a lot of my problems.
Even with the mobo I have now I'd still rather use a real sound card rather than the on-board.

OK I may put it in I guess. Thanks for the info. My system was originally a 5.1 surround sound system but right now I just have the left, right, and sub hooked up. I have this thing just laying around so I guess it wouldent hurt, amirite? :cool:
 

Create

:free at last:
Jan 4, 2006
8,028
You're not likely to notice a difference. The new card will add ovehead to the system. The card is better off in an esd bag. If you don't have an esd bag, put it in your existing computer and then disable it in Device Manager.
 

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
18,592
An offboard sound card will experience less electronic noise on its analog inputs and outputs. Your SB Live card may be old, but unless it's older than 1996, it will be newer than the AC'97 standard that your onboard sound is designed to meet.
 
TS
TS
PC Principle

PC Principle

New Member
Mar 12, 2004
64,016
Well I plugged in the PCI Soundblaster Live! and the computer wouldent post 80% of the time and the HDD light was constantly on solid. The other 20% of the time it would reset my BIOS. I guess either the card is bad or my power supply is overloaded. :dunno:

The card itself has an IDE cable going from it to another part that has some more inputs on it that I took off because of lack of space. I wonder if that was the problem but I dont want to run the risk of screwing up my system again trying it.
 

Create

:free at last:
Jan 4, 2006
8,028
Russ Rollins said:
Well I plugged in the PCI Soundblaster Live! and the computer wouldent post 80% of the time and the HDD light was constantly on solid. The other 20% of the time it would reset my BIOS. I guess either the card is bad or my power supply is overloaded. :dunno:

The card itself has an IDE cable going from it to another part that has some more inputs on it that I took off because of lack of space. I wonder if that was the problem but I dont want to run the risk of screwing up my system again trying it.
IDE cable from sound card to something else? That's not right.
 

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
18,592
Russ Rollins said:
Well I plugged in the PCI Soundblaster Live! and the computer wouldent post 80% of the time and the HDD light was constantly on solid. The other 20% of the time it would reset my BIOS. I guess either the card is bad or my power supply is overloaded. :dunno:

The card itself has an IDE cable going from it to another part that has some more inputs on it that I took off because of lack of space. I wonder if that was the problem but I dont want to run the risk of screwing up my system again trying it.
IRQ conflict, most likely. See if you can force the slot with the sound card in it to use a specific IRQ in the BIOS.
 

EvanD

Active Member
Jul 12, 2004
6,757
Ottawa, Canada
deusexaethera said:
IRQ conflict, most likely. See if you can force the slot with the sound card in it to use a specific IRQ in the BIOS.

An IRQ conflict wouldn't cause what he's describing. If the machine posts fine without with the card and dosen't when it's in, i'd suspect the card itself is toast.

And wtf IDE cable on a sound card...are you sure it was IDE?
 

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
18,592
EvanD said:
An IRQ conflict wouldn't cause what he's describing. If the machine posts fine without with the card and dosen't when it's in, i'd suspect the card itself is toast.

And wtf IDE cable on a sound card...are you sure it was IDE?
I may be thinking too far back in time, but I know for a fact that IRQ conflicts between the drive controller and other devices would cause the computer to lock up when the drivers for those other devices are loaded during bootup.
 

EvanD

Active Member
Jul 12, 2004
6,757
Ottawa, Canada
deusexaethera said:
I may be thinking too far back in time, but I know for a fact that IRQ conflicts between the drive controller and other devices would cause the computer to lock up when the drivers for those other devices are loaded during bootup.

I know the machine would lock up, but it was my understanding that it would only occur when the hardware was actually used...like when a sound is played in windows and then a conflict occurs.

But perhaps it is possible both ways. I just don't think an IRQ conflict would cause a machine not to POST.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

  • Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
334
Guests online
56
Total visitors
390

Forum statistics

Threads
369,789
Messages
16,920,276
Members
86,876
Latest member
ddunn9448