ART Recommend me a tiny softbox.

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
"Who the hell wants a tiny softbox," you may ask? Yea, I know, the bigger the better... but here's what I want to find:

Small softbox, something 12" or smaller, that has a rigid build and folds up for storage. I want to be able to mount it on a speedlight, like my 540EZ or 430EX or something. Velcro or whatever.

I've seen the Lumiquest ones. They seem ok but I notice they aren't sealed around the edges, which seems like it'd waste a lot of light. Is there anything available that's a similar design but fully sealed?

I'm looking for something to use outdoors for off-camera fill light. Something that'd give light just slightly softer than using a bare flash head.

Should I look at some other style of modifier?

TS
TS
Cesium

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
I'm starting to realize that it probably won't do much at all as far from the subject as it'd be outdoors...

fatmoocow

bored
OT Supporter
Aug 27, 2002
the intarweb

This. They used the #3 and another one that was very similar in size for about 50% of the shots on the flash bus tour. This was a go-to for getting more dramatic face shots and occasionally for above the head rim lights/highlights.

Looks like david is wrapping the softbox with another speed strap to seal it.

soft light, low power strobe, long distance to subject, full daylight
pick 2-3

TS
TS
Cesium

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
the edges do Velcro together...

Oh? I didn't see that from the videos on their site. Good to know.

As for bigger boxes, I already have a 20" box that sits on a light stand, but I was looking for something even smaller. Thanks for the suggestions given, though.

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
Oops, actually I just checked my Promax Softbox, it doesn't have velcro edges, they do fit together tightly though, and nothing is holding you back from adding velcro yourself.

I was thinking of the Snoot, which does velcro around the edges. Sorry!

TS
TS
Cesium

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
YEA THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT.

jk thanks for the update. The lack of sealing around the edges is the one thing holding me back from that setup.

Maybe someone makes a tiny 12" diameter umbrella? That could work as well.

TS
TS
Cesium

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
Haha Ben. A little bigger than that....

I don't know what something like that would be good for beyond robbing 2 stops of light. Its surface area looks hardly larger than the flash head itself.

I'm kind of thinking this was a bad idea to begin with. Guess I'll try to use bare flash for now with more ambient.

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
I've used a beer box with the bottom cut out before. :o

Drink a 12 pack, cut the bottom of the box out, paint the inside white, tape a white cloth over the opening, jam speedlight inside.

Bam. If you were drinking Miller High Life (like I was), your softbox only cost you 6 bucks. :bowdown:

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
I'm kind of thinking this was a bad idea to begin with.
Not at all. Seriously, try the Lumiquest stuff. They're well made, and even if the edges don't velcro shut they're tight enough that you're not losing a significant amount of light.

Seriously, McNally and Hobbe use these things all the time; they're not using them because Lumiquest bought them a Lexus, they're using them because they're accessible, well made, inexpensive, and they work.

alexromo

Jul 10, 2005
Wahiawa
i have a lumiquest. wrks perfect

you dont notice anything from it being "not sealed around the edges" or "wasting light"

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec