TECH Redesigned and SEO'ed my personal site....need reviews and opinions on new domain

95vr4

OT Supporter
Oct 6, 2004
Weddington, NC
http://www.andrewstallings.com/

Just completely redid my site to run off wordpress and target the "Charlotte Web Development" keyword more than just "Web Development". Content is a little lacking right now, plan is to try and spend 10-20 min a day working on and writing content for it.

I'm also thinking about moving to a new domain, since in my experience keywords in domain is a huge help in the SERPS.

Considering the following available domains
charlottewebdev.com
charlottewebsitedevelopment.com
charlottewebdeveloper.com
charlottewebsitedeveloper.com

Also considering registering one of these and adding a web2. subdomain
web2.0developmentcharlotte.com
web2.0webdesigncharlotte.com
web2.0webdesigncharlotte.com

TS
TS
95vr4

95vr4

OT Supporter
Oct 6, 2004
Weddington, NC
You going to post some works?

Yea that's the next thing on the to do list. I think I'm going to make a detailed case study or two instead of just posting links. Right now 90% of my work is for two really big clients (combined they did around $12 million this year). Other than those two, it's just dozens of CC gateway scripts, osCommerce mods, SSL cert installs.....minor things like that

kingtoad

Sep 2, 2003
Los Angeles
I think I need to upgrade my monitor.

0ca2_sup.jpg

biawokauns

Sep 18, 2001
Republic of Kalifornia
Yea that's the next thing on the to do list. I think I'm going to make a detailed case study or two instead of just posting links. Right now 90% of my work is for two really big clients (combined they did around $12 million this year). Other than those two, it's just dozens of CC gateway scripts, osCommerce mods, SSL cert installs.....minor things like that

really big clients? like your mom...and your dad? :hsugh:

kingtoad

Sep 2, 2003
Los Angeles
^ The above should not happen. Under any circumstances at all. I understand that you are vertically centering a page for aesthetics, but you are limiting your usability, and generally hindering your user from seeing more information.

As a professional company, you don't need to call out things like your website is using XHTML 1.0, CSS Compliant, etc, and so on. Blogs and personal sites are an exception to this.

The centered text makes the content look "messy" in my opinion. I believe a left justified text block would make your site look more structured.

The background should probably fade out of a lighter color than a darker one.

This copy is probably FPO for now but if you are going to stick with it you may want to consider spending more time with your copy. Maybe even hiring a copy writer if you are serious about it.

End users generalize our industry as "web design", and don't really know what's involved with "web development". Market web design more so than development, as per your navigation.

Logo should click back to the homepage.

Come off as a team of professionals, rather than just an individual with a lot of time on your hands.

Don't know what else. Saw these initially.

biawokauns

Sep 18, 2001
Republic of Kalifornia
^ The above should not happen. Under any circumstances at all. I understand that you are vertically centering a page for aesthetics, but you are limiting your usability, and generally hindering your user from seeing more information.

As a professional company, you don't need to call out things like your website is using XHTML 1.0, CSS Compliant, etc, and so on. Blogs and personal sites are an exception to this.

The centered text makes the content look "messy" in my opinion. I believe a left justified text block would make your site look more structured.

This copy is probably FPO for now but if you are going to stick with it you may want to consider spending more time with your copy. Maybe even hiring a copy writer if you are serious about it.

End users generalize our industry as "web design", and don't really know what's involved with "web development". Market web design more so than development, as per your navigation.

Logo should click back to the homepage.

Come off as a team of professionals, rather than just an individual with a lot of time on your hands.

Don't know what else. Saw these initially.

:rolleyes: wt fdo you know, go back to drupal/jquery

TS
TS
95vr4

95vr4

OT Supporter
Oct 6, 2004
Weddington, NC
agreed, I guess absolute layouts are just more trouble than they're worth. Apparently, according to browsershots I've done something today to screw up the layout in IE7 as well :o. Design and Layout really isn't my department, I'm just being a cheap ass here and doing it myself

You're probably right, I'll experiment with it.

Any reason why? I kind of like the dark to light for some reason.

Not a bad idea. That's not one of my strong points. That's one of those things you'd think anyone can do, but it's actually much harder to do than it seems. With one of my clients, I've noticed one thing that really sets them apart from their competition is they've got a guy that's really good at writing copy and content descriptions. I'd actually pay for this way before I'd ever pay for layout/design work.

I realized this while doing keyword research. I probably should change the link anchor text to design, but I think also referencing "development" a few times in the content is a good thing.

Put a lot of thought into this as well. I could probably get away with it, since I do outsource some of my work. We had a big debate on the subject on Freelanceswitch forums and the consensus was you come across more professional being upfront and honest, and pretending to be a big company when your not is the worst thing you could do.

Helpful post....Thanks :wavey:

Last edited:

Ricky

█▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄
Jun 17, 2005
I wouldn't trust a guy with the last name STALLing :o

TS
TS
95vr4

95vr4

OT Supporter
Oct 6, 2004
Weddington, NC
that site=:rofl:

Code:
editor_id="mce_editor_0">or<BR></STRONG>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT size=2 editor_id="mce_editor_0">email 
us:</FONT>&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT size=2 editor_id="mce_editor_0"><STRONG>&nbsp;</STRONG><A CLASS="undefined" 
EDITOR_ID="mce_editor_0" HREF="mailto:[email protected]" TARGET="null" 
MCE_REAL_HREF="mailto:[email protected]" ><FONT size=3><STRONG><EM 
editor_id="mce_editor_0">[email protected]</EM>
</STRONG></FONT></A></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></td> 
</tr> 
</table>

:mamoru::mamoru:

TS
TS
95vr4

95vr4

OT Supporter
Oct 6, 2004
Weddington, NC

their website is 1st page on Google for "Charlotte Website Design" with
PR=0 (not a single backlink or even any internal links)

Code:
URL - http://www.charlottewebsitedesigns.com/
<title>CHARLOTTE WEBSITE DESIGNS -LET US CREATE IT FOR YOU</title>
<h1 id="website-title">CHARLOTTE WEBSITE DESIGNS</h1> 
<STRONG editor_id="mce_editor_0">Charlotte Website Designs</STRONG> <--X24
^^That's all it takes for a niche keyword

maxxpower

OG Lauren Crew - Observer
OT Supporter
May 27, 2007
i am interested in how you got your links to run off wordpress with fully qualified urls containing your words?
I can see the benefit of this for other wordpress sites in higher page rank but not sure how it is done?
most wp sites run off index.php with id, page or cat numbers?

TS
TS
95vr4

95vr4

OT Supporter
Oct 6, 2004
Weddington, NC
i am interested in how you got your links to run off wordpress with fully qualified urls containing your words?
I can see the benefit of this for other wordpress sites in higher page rank but not sure how it is done?
it's a built in option wordpress, they call it permalinks. You can customize them for each post too.

crazybenf

Nov 14, 2001
Central Florida

permalinks

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor