CAR Removing cigarette smoke from a leather interior piece?

Madness

Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no
Mar 14, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I just ordered a new center console cover on ebay to replace the torn one in my truck. The leather and plastic are in excellent condition for a used piece, unfortunately it smells like 10 years worth of cigarette ashes. I haven't installed it in my vehicle and if I can't get rid of the smell I'm filing a dispute with paypal. I'm sure some of you guys have clients that smoke in their vehicles, does anyone have any advice on how to remove the odor? :(

Last edited:

jjski78

Clean the dogshit out of it with woolite and water mix. SEVERAL times. Then apply leather conditioner and it should be good to go. If not, you're gonna have to find someone with an ozone generator. You could also try putting it in a cooler and burn some incense (sp??) in the cooler with it, at least it will smell beter than cigarette smoke. Just pop the little drain valve open on the cooler so it gets some air in there to keep the incense burning. That idea just came to me, and for some reason I think it may actually work.

TS
TS
Madness

Madness

Mar 14, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Clean the dogshit out of it with woolite and water mix. SEVERAL times. Then apply leather conditioner and it should be good to go. If not, you're gonna have to find someone with an ozone generator. You could also try putting it in a cooler and burn some incense (sp??) in the cooler with it, at least it will smell beter than cigarette smoke. Just pop the little drain valve open on the cooler so it gets some air in there to keep the incense burning. That idea just came to me, and for some reason I think it may actually work.
K so I disassembled the attachment and seperated the leather cushion and plastics, used mah woolite/water on the plastics and they're smelling better already. I wasn't sure about using it on the foam cushion though, I don't want it to mold from the water so I searched and saw ZEP's Smoke Odor Eliminator recommended in another thread. Since thats an aerosol it shouldn't be as much of a risk. I haven't got to the leather yet though, they're all in the garage until I have some sunlight to work with. I don't think I'll be wanting my car smelling like incense so I'm gonna have to pass on that last idea.

jjski78

It was just a thought. You could get vanilla inscense. My theory is that the inscense smoke should penetrate the leather/foam, basically displacing the cigarrette smoke that penetrated it before.

Not all inscense smells like church!!

justin30513

Jan 2, 2006
LOL!

Seriously.........

LOL! (again)

Sorry.........whew.......that's some funny shit.

Ok.

Zep's Odor Eliminator is awesome. All I can say. All of Zeps stuff is. I get all my cleaning supplies from Home Depot now. I save so much more money and get better results than anything else I've used.

TS
TS
Madness

Madness

Mar 14, 2004
Charlotte, NC
LOL!

Seriously.........

LOL! (again)

Sorry.........whew.......that's some funny shit.

Ok.

Zep's Odor Eliminator is awesome. All I can say. All of Zeps stuff is. I get all my cleaning supplies from Home Depot now. I save so much more money and get better results than anything else I've used.
The ZEP stuff worked quite well on the foam and cloth padding, almost no traces of smoke odor at all. However I spent 2 hours working on the leather by itself this afternoon with woolite, baking soda (thanks Grandma), and the ZEP and the smell isn't totally gone, but it was tolerable enough to install in the vehicle without fear of it infecting the rest of the interior. Now I have to clean the rest of the car cuz the lid doesn't match :o. I almost feel bad for the previous owner, I'm positive they've got the cancer.

Last edited:

jjski78

Cancer used to be a badge of honor, what happened?? John Wayne proved he was a real man. They went to take out 1/2 of his lung and he said "fuck it take 'em both, I don't need 'em, I'll grow gills and breathe like a fish!!"

Run N. Gun

Aug 10, 2004
Smoking took my Dad's life last year. I watched him fight for every breath for the last 9 months of his life.... I don't wish that upon anyone.

Cigarettes FTL! :nono:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor