CAR Replacing brake pads on my '05 c230k

BruceInc

Aug 22, 2011
Seattle Crew
So its time to replace the pads on my 2005 C230k Sedan Daily Driver

Shop wants almost 2k for all 4

Seems to me thats pretty ridiculous. I have changed plenty of brake-pads in my day but never on a EU car. Anyone know of a DiY guide or has any experience/tips they would like to toss my way?

about to tackle this shit tomorrow.

The shop told me that its "very difficult" to replace them (thats how they justify the price) is this true or are they just trying to slay customers?

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
That's ridiculous. Brakes are all built the same, they're just different sizes. Two pads and a cast-iron rotor for each wheel. If you don't need to replace rotors, there is no way in hell you need to pay even $1000 for the parts.

You'll need to get a special caliper-retraction tool that spins the pistons as it retracts them, because trying to push them straight in with a normal clamp will damage the seals and/or the e-brake mechanism. The caliper retractor kit costs about $35, much less than the cost of replacing a busted caliper.

You'll also need a squeeze-tube of high-temperature anti-seize to re-lube the caliper slide pins with. You don't absolutely have to do it, but it's a good idea because it's a bitch to have to replace the pads again in a year when you discover one of your calipers is stuck and not adjusting for pad wear like it's supposed to.

To prevent pad squeal, I prefer to use anti-noise shims instead of spray-on silicone adhesive, but either one will work fine.

Omega6_Virus

Oct 20, 2002
You don't need that special tool.
At least, you shouldn't. Buy it, but try using the mechanic's version of bent prong foreceps. I cannot think of the technical term of the tool for the life of me right now, but the two bent prongs will fit in the holes(at least in my case) and move the piston to install the new pads.
pic of wtf i'm tryin to explain

OsirisMajor

DO you have a Brake-Way around your area < not sure if it's a regional thing or not>

They do something crazy like the $99 brake job for ALL 4 WHEELS.

I took my GTi in a few week ago with the pads I wanted put on and they only charged me $65

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Omega, I've tried using bent-tip needlenose pliers to rotate brake pistons back into their starting position, and it doesn't work. You still have to apply pressure to the piston to get it to move, and that requires some kind of clamp or expander to apply the pressure with. Once you get that clamp in the way, it becomes almost impossible to use pliers to rotate the piston. Even with the special piston-retractor tool, I still have to stick a bit of pipe on the end of the screw handle to get enough torque to get the piston to start retracting. Trying to apply that much pressure with a normal clamp, while simultaneously turning the piston with a pair of pliers, requires more hands than I was born with.

It's easier to just get the special piston retractor tool and never have to worry about it again.

Last edited:
TS
TS
BruceInc

BruceInc

Aug 22, 2011
Seattle Crew
i ordered the tool deus described. should be here tomorrow. hopefully i can find some time to get around to it this weekend.

ty for the tips and info everyone. ot never lets me down :bowdown:

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Wow. Someone in one of the auto forums actually listened to me. I think this might be the first time ever. Do they give out trophies for this shit?

Bugalu

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2003
Nashville
you dont need that tool.

the piston doesnt rotate out.

deusexaethera you are wrong again.

TS, you wasted your money.

TS
TS
BruceInc

BruceInc

Aug 22, 2011
Seattle Crew
what do you want to know?

number one,
never listen to that moron

Looool nothing in particular yet. Haven't had a chance to get in there and attempt it. If you don't have a link to an edu it cool. Ill probably be fine and figure it out i know my way around a car. If i have any questions or run into a dead end ill be hitting you up. Ty four your help and advice the last few days. I appreciate it :wavey:

Bugalu

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2003
Nashville
Looool nothing in particular yet. Haven't had a chance to get in there and attempt it. If you don't have a link to an edu it cool. Ill probably be fine and figure it out i know my way around a car. If i have any questions or run into a dead end ill be hitting you up. Ty four your help and advice the last few days. I appreciate it :wavey:

anytime.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Ah, I see, the C230 has a mini drum brake inside the rear disc, and that provides the e-brake function on that particular car. No funky special mechanism that integrates the e-brake into the rear disc calipers like a lot of cars have. Okay.

The retractor tool is still useful though, and easier to operate than a C-clamp.

Bugalu

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2003
Nashville
Ah, I see, the C230 has a mini drum brake inside the rear disc, and that provides the e-brake function on that particular car. No funky special mechanism that integrates the e-brake into the rear disc calipers like a lot of cars have. Okay.

The retractor tool is still useful though, and easier to operate than a C-clamp.

just know what your talking about before you post. you caused the TS to buy stuff he didnt need.

Bugalu

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2003
Nashville
That's ridiculous. Brakes are all built the same, they're just different sizes. Two pads and a cast-iron rotor for each wheel. If you don't need to replace rotors, there is no way in hell you need to pay even $1000 for the parts.

and your wrong here again

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
just know what your talking about before you post. you caused the TS to buy stuff he didnt need.
It's debatable whether he actually didn't need the retractor tool. He still needs to retract the caliper piston(s) before he can insert the new pads. C-clamps don't always have the necessary clearance to reach around the outside of the piston cylinder to provide a contact point while pushing the piston back into place. The retractor tool doesn't have that issue, and it will work on any brake caliper with the piston(s) all on one side.

He might not need the adaptors that fit on the retractor tool to allow it to rotate the pistons as it retracts them, but the tool is still more useful than a C-clamp regardless. I stand by my original recommendation.

and your wrong here again
Oh for fuck's sake. Yes, some cars have multiple pads for each side of each caliper (like the Audi S8), and some cars have ceramic or carbon-carbon rotors (like various Porsche 911 trims). However, those arrangements are very unusual, and they don't apply to the OP's car anyway.

Last edited:

jim1234664

Nov 3, 2005
It's debatable whether he actually didn't need the retractor tool. He still needs to retract the caliper piston(s) before he can insert the new pads. C-clamps don't always have the necessary clearance to reach around the outside of the piston cylinder to provide a contact point while pushing the piston back into place. The retractor tool doesn't have that issue, and it will work on any brake caliper with the piston(s) all on one side.

He might not need the adaptors that fit on the retractor tool to allow it to rotate the pistons as it retracts them, but the tool is still more useful than a C-clamp regardless. I stand by my original recommendation.

Oh for fuck's sake. Yes, some cars have multiple pads for each side of each caliper (like the Audi S8), and some cars have ceramic or carbon-carbon rotors (like various Porsche 911 trims). However, those arrangements are very unusual, and they don't apply to the OP's car anyway.

I know when to recognize someone being right, everything youre saying here is true

until we meet again deus...

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan