Results on my 94Z28 engine build.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dr.zed, May 19, 2007.

1. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Coles notes:

303,000 kms. Tired of engine after engine, so I did the right thing and found a 95 long block with about 20,000 kms untouched. Put a canton race pan (242t) on it.

My cam from my 94 (drilled out dowel etc... for 95 distributor). 224/227, .542/.560 on a 112.

Lightly ported heads (halfway to a stage one). Mac 1 5/8th headers, no cat and Flowmaster exhaust.

336 RWHP.
    340 RWHP through cutout.

36 degrees total advance timing. AF still needs to be worked on and dives to 12.2 - 12.3 from 4500 RPM up to almost 6000. We couldn't get a proper tach signal, so I am assuming the TQ is 330 - 340 at the wheels 2200 RPM to almost 5000. It was a humid day and I have more tuning to do to lean out at higher RPM. I'm shooting for 345 through the exhaust.

It appears that 340 RW is where the 1 5/8th MAC headers run out of steam and start to curb power. I like the plug access and the OTVC wires, so I'm not going to change headers.

Thought I'd share.

2. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

sweet

3. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

No offense, but how do you get an accurate hp rating if the tach is off? HP is nothing more than TQxRPM/5252.

4. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

i have a stage 3 weight reducing kit on my car :naughty:

5. bigsteve7

bigsteve7 OT Supporter

I kinda doubt your MACS are a restriction at those power levels. I know people making much more power than that through macs. A local guy, made over 400rwhp through macs naturally aspirated. http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiPerfLT1.html (Eric)

I've seen many people in the 360rwhp range with them. I think LT1 people really overrate LT's. LT's are better, but not as much as people claim.

I made 322rwhp on a mustang dyno with a hotcam through mac headers (218/228 .492/492 *stock stamped rocker arms).

I bet most of your restriction is in your "stage .5" heads. It sounds like they're basically stock.

6. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

The main reason's LT1's are better is not because of the header length but because of the primary size. Most Shorty's are not big enough in primary diameter to flow enough to make good power.

I know when I went from BBK shorty's to Pacesetter LT's, I didnt pick anything up, but on my one and only run I matched my previous time, and I pulled out the ECU that had a MadZ28 tune on it (cam only 218/224 112LSA) and reinstalled a stock ECU, which drove better part throttle but didnt have as much power WOT (going by the ole butt dyno anyway).

7. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

I wasn't bragging when I pulled out the ported head comment. The longblock that I bought came with the heads. Not a lot of work was done, but it warranted a comment instead of saying stock heads.

There is more WOT tuning to do. We'll see if I can pull out 350 RW.