FIT right hip really tight recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe

Apr 11, 2009
8 Mile
so i've really increased my program over the past month or so, and have noticed an increasing amount of tightness/uncomfort in my right hip. i have always been somewhat unflexible, but have always been diligent about stretching even when i wasn't working out as much.

i am following this workout (http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2920566) and do it immediately after work. the only difference is i do cardio right when i get home, then eat, then lift about 45 minutes after that (stretching before and after cardio and lifting).

the problem arises when i am lifting lower body, especially immediately after each squat set. my right hip literally feels like it needs to pop/dislocate. it is definitely a discomfort and not pain, and i never feel it when i am performing the lift. i have been focusing on form and not going heavy (repped 275 for the complete set tonight) and it just will not go away. i warm up with the bar, then 135, and then go into my workout as well as stretching and specifically targeting my hips, hamstrings, glutes and back.

usually at night when i am sleeping i will move and the right hip will let out a deep pop/crack that is no joke one of the best feelings ever. the problem is i can't replicate this relief when i am not sleeping, but i literally wake up when it happens and am so relieved that i immediately fall back asleep. i have never been to a chiropractor as i have heard some really mixed things. just sorta at a loss at the moment and seeing if anyone had any insight on something like this.

appreciated.

kronik85

Feb 8, 2005
Deutschland
what do you do for your warmup?

incorporate fire hydrants, bird dogs, groiners, leg swings (front back, side to side), toy soldiers, clams, x-band walks, goblet squats, static hip flexor stretches (i tend to make 'em a little dynamic, just some slight rocking or i go warrior's pose down a straight away and back)

download assess and correct and do all the hip shit in there. without a proper diagnosis you probably will have to spray and pray.

i have something similar where any external rotation at the hip in my left leg is a little tight, and if i force it i can get a tearing/cracking sound that provides relief. i just devote a little extra time to massaging it daily, and am diligent in my hips warmups.

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
I think you should get it checked out to rule out a labral tear or impingement

TS
TS
Pepe

Pepe

Apr 11, 2009
8 Mile
what do you do for your warmup?

incorporate fire hydrants, bird dogs, groiners, leg swings (front back, side to side), toy soldiers, clams, x-band walks, goblet squats, static hip flexor stretches (i tend to make 'em a little dynamic, just some slight rocking or i go warrior's pose down a straight away and back)

download assess and correct and do all the hip shit in there. without a proper diagnosis you probably will have to spray and pray.

i have something similar where any external rotation at the hip in my left leg is a little tight, and if i force it i can get a tearing/cracking sound that provides relief. i just devote a little extra time to massaging it daily, and am diligent in my hips warmups.

i do a progressive warmup (mainly dynamic followed by static stretching and more dynamic). i am sure to target my hamstrings, hips flexors, glutes, lower back, and more hamstrings. when i finally get going, i am well stretched and warmed up.

i'm checking out assess and correct, thanks for the info.

I think you should get it checked out to rule out a labral tear or impingement

between jobs and don't have great insurance right now. i also googled a shit ton out of labral tears/impingement and the thing that really tells me this is not the case is there is never pain. just uncomfort that feels like it needs a release. nonetheless i realize i am not a doctor and don't want to self diagnose just to "feel good about it", so if it keeps up or gets worse, i will get it checked out.

another thing that caught my attention when googling is perhaps a bulging disc/pinched nerve. i had some minor lower back issues back when playing football in high school and college, and i have been doing the exercises for the past few days and i honestly have seen a little bit of difference.

think it would potentially be worth seeing a chiropractor for?

whiteaccord

OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
i have the same issue with my right hip. do you feel some kind of small "pop" when you lift your right leg (knee bent 90 degrees or more) and then straightening it?

i've tried a lot of stretches, but have not found anything that alleviates this "tightness". like you, it's not really pain, but just a discomfort.

i might have to try out a chiropractor that does ART or something.

let me know if you find anything else on your end.

Ceaze

he/him
Jun 4, 2000
i also googled a shit ton out of labral tears/impingement and the thing that really tells me this is not the case is there is never pain. just uncomfort that feels like it needs a release. nonetheless i realize i am not a doctor and don't want to self diagnose just to "feel good about it", so if it keeps up or gets worse, i will get it checked out.

You can have a labral tear without pain.

another thing that caught my attention when googling is perhaps a bulging disc/pinched nerve.
a pinched nerve would result in shooting pains

think it would potentially be worth seeing a chiropractor for?

physical therapist

TS
TS
Pepe

Pepe

Apr 11, 2009
8 Mile
so i was talking to a family friend last friday after work (retired orthopedic surgeon) and brought this up to him. i described to him the symptoms and he had me sit and lay down while he tested my flexibility as well as the strength of my toes and legs in both right and left sides. the right side big toe (where i am having the problem) he noticed was significantly weaker and i could tell this upon the tests he did (pushing up and down against his hand) and was MUCH less flexible.

he did some more small analysis and told me that he thought i had a minor bulging disc into the nerve which is causing these symptoms. i asked him about the labral tear and he said it is possible, but judging by they stuff he just checked out, this is what he would put his money on. he showed me some good stretches for my hamstrings and told me to really target those as they will release tension all over my body, as well as exercises to help remedy the disc. i basically lay flat on my stomach and keep my hips on the ground while i reverse arch my back up and hold it as far back for a count of 30 seconds while i relax my glutes and everything else to really target my lower back. he said to do sets of 3 at least 3 times per day combined with as much relaxed stretching as possible.

so i have been doing this since then and i can honestly say i feel a huge difference. i did legs today and still felt the discomfort in my hip, but after each set i did an exercise and it really helped alleviate the feeling. so i'm gonna give this a whirl and he said if it keeps up, gets any worse, or just doesn't get better, to let him know and he can check out some other stuff.

figured someone else might be interested, i'll update as need be. thanks for the info everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan