Dissent

Mar 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
2e62c50d2bd9fb3a3445e848e728d9e0.gif

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
You think the consoles coming out next year are going to be $300-400?

No idea about Xbox, but from the way Sony has been talking about wanting to get existing PS4 owners moved over to PS5 as fast as possible, it sounds like they may be prepared to take an initial hit on the retail price of the hardware to get people on board.

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
Tons of people with less money will pay small monthly fees over large individual purchases. Also you don't have to worry about midcycle upgrades which are common now.

This past generation was the first time that mid-cycle upgrades happened, and a lot of that had to do with 4k becoming more mainstream. I think assuming that's going to be "common" now is a little premature.

Keksimus

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
If they can completely get rid of input lag from streaming (probably never happening) then i might try it

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
They've set a new standard to sell more hardware. There is no way they don't do it again

I don't think either Sony or Microsoft has released any numbers for how many of the "upgraded" consoles they've sold, so it's hard to know if it was a successful enough move to establish a new precedent. And in the case of the One X at least, given its hardware I doubt MS was actually making a profit on the sales of the console itself. I don't think selling more hardware for its own sake was the driving force behind either the PS4 Pro or the One X. It was more about being able to claim 4k and HDR capabilities.

Reactions: Keksimus

Keksimus

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2012
I don't think either Sony or Microsoft has released any numbers for how many of the "upgraded" consoles they've sold, so it's hard to know if it was a successful enough move to establish a new precedent. And in the case of the One X at least, given its hardware I doubt MS was actually making a profit on the sales of the console itself. I don't think selling more hardware for its own sake was the driving force behind either the PS4 Pro or the One X. It was more about being able to claim 4k and HDR capabilities.

Phil Spencer said that they (Xbox) were going after early 4k adopters and that the next console might not have an upgraded version if there isn't a similar reason like that again.

Highlander_77

Dec 7, 2000
New England
Phil Spencer said that they (Xbox) were going after early 4k adopters and that the next console might not have an upgraded version if there isn't a similar reason like that again.

And as far as the PS4 Pro goes, a big part of the reason they did that was because of the launch of the PS VR, since rendering a game for VR requires significantly more processing power than rendering it for a single screen, and maintaining a good frame rate is crucial to having a good VR experience. So yeah, there isn't really a reason yet to think they'll automatically release mid-generation upgrades again next time.

Reactions: Keksimus

melroy

wonderin how many people ITT have been meditating
Apr 1, 2018
Is it though? A new game console usually costs around $300-400. And that will likely last 5-7 years. Stadia Pro is $10 a month (right now). So after about 3 years you've paid for that console. Even if you factor in the coat of the PS+/Xbox Live Gold ($60 a year) over the life of the console, you're still spending only breaking even at best (and those services also come with free games every month as well). If you buy the Chromecast Ultra and the Stadia controller, any potential cost savings becomes even less.

Now, you don't HAVE to get the Stadia Pro subscription. But without that you're limited to lesser performance in the games. I suppose if you don't care about reduced graphics or frame rate at all, then maybe this would appeal to you.
You are so disingenuous

melroy

wonderin how many people ITT have been meditating
Apr 1, 2018
Well thank god the tv industry agreed to not develop tv tech past 4 k so no one will ever upgrade again

Mr.Fusion

feast upon my magnificence
Mar 20, 2000
Austin,Texas
Got mine yesterday, probably won’t even open it until weeks/months from now until they fix their launch problems (if they ever do)

too many games to play on PS4 right now to even bother

TS
TS
baboymo

baboymo

Have you been circumcised?
Nov 15, 2000
Bay Area, CA
LOL no one talking about this. Those that have it probably played for 10 mins are now regret it...but they’ll never admit it. :mamoru2:

Reactions: xioix

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19