GAME RIP Google Stadia 2019-2020

melroy

wonderin how many people ITT have been meditating
Apr 1, 2018
But it's totally worth the trade-off of poorer performance for the massive benefit of not actually ever owning anything you buy and having to be connected to the internet constantly to play anything...oh, wait.
It brings me so much joy how heated you are over this

Reactions: vr6vdub

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
I am currently playing it and it is fantastic

I'm not doubting that it works. And it's not just Google. The entire tech industry is moving to the idea of providing everything as a "service" rather than a product you can own. The benefit to this model goes to the corporations, not the consumers.

melroy

wonderin how many people ITT have been meditating
Apr 1, 2018
That would make sense, if games were much cheaper on Stadia or if it was more of a Netflix model where you pay a subscription but don't have to buy games individually.
I don’t mind dropping 60 for 20 hours of entertainment

vr6vdub

Formz can't handle his emotions.
OT Supporter
Apr 11, 2009
nova
Just played some destiny and my first impression is very positive. I was configured and playing in about five minutes. :bowdown:

CommanderFish

OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2011
South Jersey
From what I can see of people actually using the service, they are enjoying it. Their are reviewers out there looking bash everything they can instead of objectively reviewing the product.

Fifafever

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
San Diego
Not everyone wants to drop stupid amounts of money on a pc every few years. Also the flexibility to play on anything
I dropped like $1000 on a PC 8 years ago. 2500K, 6870, 16GB RAM. The only upgrades I've made over the years: 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. I've never had any problems playing games.

Though tbh I haven't really played consistently in a long time lol except for a stint of Borderlands 2.

CommanderFish

OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2011
South Jersey
I dropped like $1000 on a PC 8 years ago. 2500K, 6870, 16GB RAM. The only upgrades I've made over the years: 32GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. I've never had any problems playing games.

Though tbh I haven't really played consistently in a long time lol except for a stint of Borderlands 2.
I just built a pc, but I have other use cases that gaming

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
Why would most people want to do that if there are cheaper options?

Is it though? A new game console usually costs around $300-400. And that will likely last 5-7 years. Stadia Pro is $10 a month (right now). So after about 3 years you've paid for that console. Even if you factor in the coat of the PS+/Xbox Live Gold ($60 a year) over the life of the console, you're still spending only breaking even at best (and those services also come with free games every month as well). If you buy the Chromecast Ultra and the Stadia controller, any potential cost savings becomes even less.

Now, you don't HAVE to get the Stadia Pro subscription. But without that you're limited to lesser performance in the games. I suppose if you don't care about reduced graphics or frame rate at all, then maybe this would appeal to you.

CommanderFish

OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2011
South Jersey
Is it though? A new game console usually costs around $300-400. And that will likely last 5-7 years. Stadia Pro is $10 a month (right now). So after about 3 years you've paid for that console. Even if you factor in the coat of the PS+/Xbox Live Gold ($60 a year) over the life of the console, you're still spending only breaking even at best (and those services also come with free games every month as well). If you buy the Chromecast Ultra and the Stadia controller, any potential cost savings becomes even less.

Now, you don't HAVE to get the Stadia Pro subscription. But without that you're limited to lesser performance in the games. I suppose if you don't care about reduced graphics or frame rate at all, then maybe this would appeal to you.
Tons of people with less money will pay small monthly fees over large individual purchases. Also you don't have to worry about midcycle upgrades which are common now.

SCirone

Aug 18, 2004

You think the consoles coming out next year are going to be $300-400?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448