RIP SOKO - our beloved OTer with the man purse has passed

TMoNeE

OT Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
CA > *
Fuuuuuuu.... the family has a gofundme up now to transfer Soko back to the US.... trying to raise $250k to pay for the flight. :ugh:

http://www.gofundme.com/JonathanSokoloff

They already received $30k from the initial indiegogo site, and $20k so far from this gofundme. I thought they had said that Jon's company and medical insurance would be covering most of the bills, and that the indiegogo was just so his sister could fly out to Shanghai to be with him.

Last update was that his company will cover most/all of his medical, and POSSIBLY has flight insurance to transfer him home, however im sure that is one of the million things his sister needs to wade through while she is there.

But if not its 230k to fly him home.

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
Liberal Enclave of Darien, CT
Last update was that his company will cover most/all of his medical, and POSSIBLY has flight insurance to transfer him home, however im sure that is one of the million things his sister needs to wade through while she is there.

But if not its 230k to fly him home.

Gotta wait and see what happens with his condition first I think

TS
TS
Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee

Every tool is weapon if you hold it right.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Western MA
I don't think we ever talked, but he sounds quite loved. Best of luck to him!

He is very much loved. Not just by us, either.
The people posting on his wall... men and women, from all walks of life, who have shared stories about how he spent time and helped them through challenging moments in their lives, or helped them get a job, or just stopped and listened and offered a shoulder to lean on.

He is a special person to a lot of people. His FB page has cuased me to really make an effort to be a better person to my fellow man.

Mercedes

IZLAM hummus king
Feb 14, 2003
Orlando FL
He is very much loved. Not just by us, either.
The people posting on his wall... men and women, from all walks of life, who have shared stories about how he spent time and helped them through challenging moments in their lives, or helped them get a job, or just stopped and listened and offered a shoulder to lean on.

He is a special person to a lot of people. His FB page has cuased me to really make an effort to be a better person to my fellow man.

Agreed. :hs:

col_panic

calm like a bomb
Sep 19, 2003
winter haven, fl
Yeah I doubt he's in any condition for transport at the moment anyway based on the updates, but getting closer to it. :hs: removing the spinal drain thing is a huge positive.
this. the man is in a state where merely moving him is risky. keep him still and fed and give time for repair. don't move anything if you don't absolutely need to.

when you spend a long time in a bed you have to change positions a bit, rolling onto one side or the other or flat on your back. or you get bedsores. they have to clean and rotate those positions but moving him in aircraft? nope. not yet.

El Beaner

Whale wrangler extraordinaire
OT Supporter
Jul 18, 2002
Dallas, TX
this. the man is in a state where merely moving him is risky. keep him still and fed and give time for repair. don't move anything if you don't absolutely need to.

when you spend a long time in a bed you have to change positions a bit, rolling onto one side or the other or flat on your back. or you get bedsores. they have to clean and rotate those positions but moving him in aircraft? nope. not yet.

That and the preasure - since planes are preasurized it could cause issues as well.

col_panic

calm like a bomb
Sep 19, 2003
winter haven, fl
That and the preasure - since planes are preasurized it could cause issues as well.
geez i hadn't even considered that. i was thinking mere turbulence. plus we do airlifts to save someone's life when they are laying on the side of the road. soko is in a hospital bed where he needs to stay :hsd:

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
Planes are pressurized to keep them at a normal standard pressure. If they didn't, everyone would pass out and die from lack of oxygen as they gain altitude.

They aren't going to submit him to any pressure that he wouldn't get from, say, a passing storm or dry spell. #howairpressureworks

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
Planes are pressurized to keep them at a normal standard pressure. If they didn't, everyone would pass out and die from lack of oxygen as they gain altitude.

They aren't going to submit him to any pressure that he wouldn't get from, say, a passing storm or dry spell. #howairpressureworks

In practice, cabin altitude is almost never kept at zero, in order to keep within the design limits of the fuselage and to manage landing at airfields higher than sea level. The cabin altitude of an aircraft planning to cruise at 40,000 ft (12,000 m) is programmed to rise gradually from the altitude of the airport of origin to around a maximum of 8,000 ft (2,400 m) (approximately 10.9 psi, or 0.75 atm) and to then reduce gently during descent until it matches the ambient air pressure of the destination.

Naturally Baked

Sep 24, 2007
Detroit, Murder Mitten
When I came out shit hit the fan with my parents. Soko was one of the first people I went to for advice during what has probably been one of the most difficult times of my life. we haven't talked much over the past 2 years, but I always remember him as being sort of a mentor back in the day

FutureMan

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
When I came out shit hit the fan with my parents. Soko was one of the first people I went to for advice during what has probably been one of the most difficult times of my life. we haven't talked much over the past 2 years, but I always remember him as being sort of a mentor back in the day

we get it, you're gay

just kidding :hs: he is a great guy for sure, even with his family being very accepting of him i know it was still hard for him coming out, it must be torture to have your family turn against you like that

FutureMan

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2002
one of the guys on my high school debate team was gay, when he came out to his parents his dad threw a vase at him (there's some kind of ironic symbolism there imho :mamoru:). :hs: Really messed him up... He went to NY for college and hasn't come back to Dallas since.

good for him, fuck those morons.

Shibster

don't take it personally, but...
Mar 30, 2001
Yeah I know
He has been on my mind all week. I am so glad to see how he has touched so many people. It makes me feel like a truly shitty person because I know I am nowhere near as good a person as Jonathan :hs:

He's helped me out multiple times, even after not talking to him for months. You can call or message him and he's instantly in the moment and making you feel like someone has your back.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec