RIP US Economy v. We shrinking

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
Crazy that it's like this everywhere now. Covid totally changed everyone's attitude towards work imo, especially lower waged workers. And yeah, it's not everywhere that's gone downhill in service, but I'm at the point I'd rather not gamble after being burned so many times.

overworked people will tend to act like that

a million deaths and resulting reshuffling of childcare/support structures probably pulled a large number of people from the labor market. it probably isn't just people being lazy, people still need money to survive

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A

a million deaths and resulting reshuffling of childcare/support structures probably pulled a large number of people from the labor market. it probably isn't just people being lazy, people still need money to survive
A lot of guys I know who worked in the service industry left after Covid because the general public showed its entitled ass. They are at warehouse’s making more and don’t have to deal with the general public.

Last edited:

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
A lot of guys I know who worked in the service industry left after Covid had the general public show its entitled ass. They are at warehouse’s making more and don’t have to deal with the general public.
Yea a lot of it is this. People were constantly told to "find something better" if they didn't like the service industry. So they did and now shocked Pikachu

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004

people changed their lifestyle to survive on one income.

Reactions: 01ACRViper

Ariez

OT Supporter
Jul 11, 2006
Nue Yawk
There's only a couple places that don't seem to have gone down the shitter in service quality here. Everywhere sucks. People don't give a fuck, orders are wrong, workers rude. Maybe they are overworked idk.
These $6 an hour workers should be more grateful and be more happy about a dead end job. Just because I treat them like shit and don't tip doesn't mean they should stop caring about customer service.

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
theres like a dozen factors but the major complainers are people who just want better service at restaurants its pretty nuts

I just want cheese on a cheeseburger when I order one. That's too much to ask sometimes, I guess. :wtc:

• Clown
Reactions: Nikuk

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
I just want cheese on a cheeseburger when I order one. That's too much to ask sometimes, I guess. :wtc:
we still buy mcdonalds for our son occasionally as a treat. A few months ago they gave us a cheeseburger without meat. Literally cheese & a bun :rofl:

and those that say its wrong to bitch about bad service, I'm voting with my wallet by not eating out nearly as much anymore. My point was that enough people get fed up with bad service & high prices, it will cause the service industry to crumble (again). I used to work in the industry so I've always tipped well, even on bad service.

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc

The big drop in labor market was happening before covid. 2000 was the peak, 2008 had a huge plummet. Then finally another drop for covid.

We've lost 8-10% of the labor market

1663168099870.png

Mike00

Feb 11, 2005
pa
The big drop in labor market was happening before covid. 2000 was the peak, 2008 had a huge plummet. Then finally another drop for covid.

We've lost 8-10% of the labor market

View attachment 258816

Boomers were a big generation. People have less kids these days so it should be a real surprise. I don’t really see us coming back to 67% again either. Not anytime soon.

• Love
Reactions: Nikuk

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
we still buy mcdonalds for our son occasionally as a treat. A few months ago they gave us a cheeseburger without meat. Literally cheese & a bun :rofl:

and those that say its wrong to bitch about bad service, I'm voting with my wallet by not eating out nearly as much anymore. My point was that enough people get fed up with bad service & high prices, it will cause the service industry to crumble (again). I used to work in the industry so I've always tipped well, even on bad service.

The last time we went out to eat, someone who I can only assume was our server’s former partner showed up and they started a profanity laden yelling match with the server right in the middle of the restaurant. The server then stormed off to the back and never returned.

We flagged down another server and mentioned that we think our server just quit and we were still waiting on food. They apologized, the manager came out and brought us our check and explained that they took half off of the bill for the inconvenience. I mentioned that we placed our order and never received our meal, he apologized and went to the kitchen, came back and insisted that we had to have received our meals because the kitchen said they made it. I said we’re not paying for food we didn’t receive, and the manager started to get argumentative, so we got up to leave. I guess the police had been called due to the domestic situation that had just unfolded, and they were showing up as we were walking out the door. The manager flagged them down and told them that we were dining and dashing, and the cops asked me to stop. I told my wife to get in the truck, explained what had happened, and while the manager kept jumping in to tell them that I was lying, another server came over and pointed out that our meals were on a tray that the previous server had just left on a different table before getting into an argument.

I mentioned we’re never coming back, the manager apologized, I mailed a pickle to corporate, and we got a thousand dollar gift card that I sold online for $700.

Fuck Macaroni Grill :rofl:

Last edited:

rcm

Bully Troll Crew
OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
The last time we went out to eat, someone who I can only assume was our server’s former partner showed up and they started a profanity laden yelling match with their server right in the middle of the restaurant. The server then stormed off to the back and never returned.

We flagged down another server and mentioned that we think our server just quit and we were still waiting on food. They apologized, the manager came out and brought us our check and explained that they took half off of the bill for the inconvenience. I mentioned that we placed our order and never received our meal, he apologized and went to the kitchen, came back and insisted that we had to have received our meals because the kitchen said they made it. I said we’re not paying for food we didn’t receive, and the manager started to get argumentative, so we got up to leave. I guess the police had been called due to the domestic situation that had just unfolded, and they were showing up as we were walking out the door. The manager flagged them down and told them that we were dining and dashing, and the cops asked me to stop. I told my wife to get in the truck, explained what had happened, and while the manager kept jumping in to tell them that I was lying, another server came over and pointed out that our meals were on a tray that the previous server had just left on a different table before getting into an argument.

I mentioned we’re never coming back, the manager apologized, I mailed a pickle to corporate, and we got a thousand dollar gift card that I sold online for $700.

@digital jello this is what you have to look forward to when you leave the city. Dining at Macaroni Grill.

Uncle Phil

Nov 15, 2003
Bay Area, CA
A lot of guys I know who worked in the service industry left after Covid had the general public show its entitled ass. They are at warehouse’s making more and don’t have to deal with the general public.

Yea a lot of it is this. People were constantly told to "find something better" if they didn't like the service industry. So they did and now shocked Pikachu

You have to be happy for those people, nothing worse than deplorable customers. I would hope everyone here worked retail and or FF growing up and know just how shitty people are in general. Factor in what we have today of idiots pulling out their phones in every situation for a gotcha moment. Unreasonable customers complain about slow service because they need their drinks immediately to sit around with their jackass friends, only to tip poorly at the end.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
The last time we went out to eat, someone who I can only assume was our server’s former partner showed up and they started a profanity laden yelling match with the server right in the middle of the restaurant. The server then stormed off to the back and never returned.

lmao that is shockingly funny and sad at the same time, worthy of the gif.

JVtBe13.gif

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Mortgage rates just blew through 6%. now at 6.25%

I refinanced at 2.3% in 2020.
This will make house sales "sticky" because no one will want to give up their 2-3% 30 year mortgages especially when rates will most likely end up at 7-9% somewhere in the near future.

So you will either stay put or if you do leave turn it into a rental and keep pocketing that cash homie.

Reactions: Normie

Normie

KungFlu Crew #002
OT Supporter
I have not had anywhere near the service issues some of you had, not since the first "re-opening"
Our favorite mexican place went from top quality, excellent food to re-used, spoiled food that made us sick on three different occasions.

We'll never go back, and that just sucks because they were soooooooo good.

Literally the first time I was up for 24 hours shitting and puking, the other times we both just had the shits. We figured the first time happened because the owner wasn't there. The other two times proved our theory wrong. :hsd:

Lug

OT Supporter
May 3, 2017
Bay Area
You don't think there will be a surplus once the boomers die?
Boomers were a big generation. People have less kids these days so it should be a real surprise. I don’t really see us coming back to 67% again either. Not anytime soon.
Oh we are fucked.
Millennials are larger in population than boomers, gen x was very big too, and big gen z is getting into house buying range as well. And boomers will never die...

We are millions short of where we should be. In large part because of the boomer NIMBY refusal to allow more construction/infrastructure

Reactions: Mejnoon

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Our favorite mexican place went from top quality, excellent food to re-used, spoiled food that made us sick on three different occasions.

We'll never go back, and that just sucks because they were soooooooo good.

Literally the first time I was up for 24 hours shitting and puking, the other times we both just had the shits. We figured the first time happened because the owner wasn't there. The other two times proved our theory wrong. :hsd:
This is what usually takes most restaurants down.

They start losing their ass so they hold on to food/ingredients "longer" and just tell the cooks to "make sure and cook it good" then people get sick stop going and place ends up closing anyways.

Normie

KungFlu Crew #002
OT Supporter
This is what usually takes most restaurants down.

They start losing their ass so they hold on to food/ingredients "longer" and just tell the cooks to "make sure and cook it good" then people get sick stop going and place ends up closing anyways.
I can see this, but the place is fucking PACKED every night, it's not that they were losing money. Even during covid the owner was telling us they were making good money.

I would always tip 100% or more of the meal just to do something extra from when they were slow.

Last edited:

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
You have to be happy for those people, nothing worse than deplorable customers. I would hope everyone here worked retail and or FF growing up and know just how shitty people are in general. Factor in what we have today of idiots pulling out their phones in every situation for a gotcha moment. Unreasonable customers complain about slow service because they need their drinks immediately to sit around with their jackass friends, only to tip poorly at the end.
I agree. I think we should force everyone to do 2 years in retail/service like other countries force military service

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022