RIP US Economy v. We shrinking

midnite

OT Supporter
Apr 5, 2002
San Diego, CA
Yes the state gave away tons of incentives and breaks to get them. Name any single non American auto plant built anywhere other than the South in the last 10+ years? These companies don't want unions.
Shocking that big corporations don’t want to pay good wages and benefits so they go to the south where people are too dumb to realize they’re being screwed :mamoru:

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
Infinite growth isn't real or sustainable and after 14 years of QE I expect/welcome some level of contraction.

I don’t really think this will be as bad as 08 (I hope) except for the political implications

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
This still triggering you this much? :rofl:

It should trigger anyone who buys these products. People just rolling over and still buying the products just lets these companies know they can keep on squeezing us to extract every penny.

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
id be happier they would just admit it was because they are greedy fucks instead of lying about it being "for the environment"
Do we not all have dozens of chargers? It could significantly cut down on packaging

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
I don’t really think this will be as bad as 08 (I hope) except for the political implications
08 had NINJA loans and a crazy housing bubble that had derivatives on top of derivatives as a house of cards. That doesn't exist this time, but we're still in a crazy bubble (stocks + housing) that came on the heels of the previous housing bubble not fully popping.

Shit's all fucked up, but yeah I don't think this will be as bad as 08 because the economy is still relatively strong :dunno:

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
id be happier they would just admit it was because they are greedy fucks instead of lying about it being "for the environment"

It's along the same lines of thinking as people who defend you know who no matter how much they know inside he was wrong. Some people just pick a team and will fight for them no matter what

Reactions: intro_vert13

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
These companies have mountains of data surrounding:

1) How many customers already have a charger and charging cable
2) Cost of removing it
3) Environmental impact of removing it

I won't pretend like #2 isn't a factor, but #1 and #3 are the biggest contributors to removing the charger from the box.

Source: I've worked at several Big Bad Tech™ companies as an engineer/manager and have been part of these decisions both when it comes to chargers and other measures that are primarily done for the environment but also have cost benefits. I've also made decisions that directly benefitted the environment and caused costs to increase, but you don't hear about those because they're not advertised as such.

Reactions: Nonphixion

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
Do we not all have dozens of chargers? It could significantly cut down on packaging

If they had of done it but said 'anyone can pick up a charger at an Apple or Samsung retailer of your choice free of charge if you need one' then it'd have been more acceptable than making it an accessory you have to buy.

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
These companies have mountains of data surrounding:

1) How many customers already have a charger and charging cable
2) Cost of removing it
3) Environmental impact of removing it

I won't pretend like #2 isn't a factor, but #1 and #3 are the biggest contributors to removing the charger from the box.

Source: I've worked at several Big Bad Tech™ companies as an engineer and have been part of these decisions.
i honestly have no issues with the removal outright but they timed it for profit and nothing else as it happened at the same time they went from a USB-A to Lighting cable to a USB-C to lightning one and no everyone who has a fruit phone did not already have a C brick. which did indeed piss a lot of people off as they were forced to get a new one when this happened

i break phones for a living and have a 5 gallon bucket of all types of chargers

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
If they had of done it but said 'anyone can pick up a charger at an Apple or Samsung retailer of your choice free of charge if you need one' then it'd have been more acceptable than making it an accessory you have to buy.
How opinionated you are about this vs. how little you actually understand about what goes on behind the scenes is on par with a certain political party and their following.

It's also on-par with people who question the efficacy/effectiveness of vaccines. Hopefully that puts things into perspective for you.

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
i honestly have no issues with the removal outright but they timed it for profit and nothing else as it happened at the same time they went from a USB-A to Lighting cable to a USB-C to lightning one and no everyone who has a fruit phone did not already have a C brick. which did indeed piss a lot of people off as they were forced to get a new one when this happened
[citation needed]

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
How opinionated you are about this vs. how little you actually understand about what goes on behind the scenes is on par with a certain political party and their following.

It's also on-par with people who question the efficacy/effectiveness of vaccines. Hopefully that puts things into perspective for you.

You've repeatedly shown the inability to think critically of Apple so it's kind of hard to have this discussion with you. Besides, why Apple did it is beyond the scope of this topic. The bottom line is, with a drive to ensure companies grow infinitely, decisions like this get made.

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
08 had NINJA loans and a crazy housing bubble that had derivatives on top of derivatives as a house of cards. That doesn't exist this time, but we're still in a crazy bubble (stocks + housing) that came on the heels of the previous housing bubble not fully popping.

Shit's all fucked up, but yeah I don't think this will be as bad as 08 because the economy is still relatively strong :dunno:
Our economy is weak as shit :rofl:

Reactions: intro_vert13

bigben14

OT Supporter
Jun 10, 2007
The economy is in the toilet and OT is crying about phone chargers. We never fail to keep things in perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026