RIP US Economy v. We shrinking

hootpie

OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
You've repeatedly shown the inability to think critically of Apple so it's kind of hard to have this discussion with you. Besides, why Apple did it is beyond the scope of this topic. The bottom line is, with a drive to ensure companies grow infinitely, decisions like this get made.
The projection :rofl:

The second thing I bolded is your incorrect assumption backed up with zero evidence. It is on par with an anti-vaxxer mentality.

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
The list is a mile long man. Consumers are getting nickel and dimed left, right and center so profits keep increasing indefinitely. I only singled out Apple for the charger because they led the charge on that one.
#dadjokes

• Haha
Reactions: spooled2.2

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
The fed could literally go buy the entire dow and no one could tell them no

Mercennarius

Ultra Member
OT Supporter
Jun 25, 2009
There has been a recession every 7-8 years historically. There should have been one in 2018 but we kept rates stupid low which only postponed it.

Except the fundamentals for THIS recession were not there in late 2019. Every major economist projected growth, not retraction, prior to the policies governments employed during COVID. The global actions of central banks and central governments disrupting supply chains, shutting down economic activity, regulating their workforce, and pumping unprecedented amounts of new money into that system, created THIS recession.

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
Wanna be depressed? Pull up Google Earth and check out how humanity has changed the surface of the earth. Look at the midwest, especially Iowa, and how it has been 100% cleared out. The fuck else is there to do? At what point are we going to understand that "manifest destiny" was a success, it has achieved what it was trying to do, and now it's time (well past time) to shift into a different mode?

BUT MUH DOW

And I say this as a new father with a half-decent retirement account. The whole thing fucking sucks. I'm always so ready to vote for anybody who has even the beginning of an idea of what to do about it.

gimpshiznit

Totally not Larry
Aug 9, 2003
Twin Shitties
Except the fundamentals for THIS recession were not there in late 2019. Every major economist projected growth, not retraction, prior to the policies governments employed during COVID. The global actions of central banks and central governments disrupting supply chains, shutting down economic activity, regulating their workforce, and pumping unprecedented amounts of new money into that system, created THIS recession.

well this is not true. we were having liquidity events in 2018 and by 3Q 2019 employment peaked and many models were pointing toward recession beginning Q1 2020 before covid

Reactions: EMML and Faithless

Mercennarius

Ultra Member
OT Supporter
Jun 25, 2009
well this is not true. we were having liquidity events in 2018 and by 3Q 2019 employment peaked and many models were pointing toward recession beginning Q1 2020 before covid

Yes, it is true.
CBO projection in 2019:
mWfnAWV.png

BLS projection from 2019:
2VM80Zp.jpg

Economist 2020 Projection:
tse38MZ.png

The list goes on. NO one was projecting this recession, this level of inflation, this kind of supply chain issues, prior to Q1 2020. No economist worth their weight disputes this. The current recession and economic climate both in the US and globally is absolutely due to central governments and their central banks manipulating the economies through COVID.

Reactions: Diesel66

gimpshiznit

Totally not Larry
Aug 9, 2003
Twin Shitties
Yes, it is true.
CBO projection in 2019:
mWfnAWV.png

BLS projection from 2019:
2VM80Zp.jpg

Economist 2020 Projection:
tse38MZ.png

The list goes on. NO one was projecting this recession, this level of inflation, this kind of supply chain issues, prior to Q1 2020. No economist worth their weight disputes this. The current recession and economic climate both in the US and globally is absolutely due to central governments and their central banks manipulating the economies through COVID.
in the history of central banks, none have forecasted a recession. also of course no one forecasted the shutdown and inflation prior to covid. I am saying there were leading indicators that suggested recession prior to covid. peaking employment was one of them

gimpshiznit

Totally not Larry
Aug 9, 2003
Twin Shitties
the fed was already bailing out the Repo mkt and thrusting liquidity into the system in early 2019. we werent in a recession, and there is no guarantee we would have had one Q12020 without covid, but things were NOT looking good and certainly on the downswing

Diesel66

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
Kc
I'm curious how much of the stimulus money actually saved people. It wasn't much per person and I don't feel like many were like oooh if I didn't get that $600 check I was going to be homeless.
2400 a month plus ui didn't save people that were unemployed?

Mercennarius

Ultra Member
OT Supporter
Jun 25, 2009
in the history of central banks, none have forecasted a recession.

Not entirely true either. There were economists at our central bank sounding the alarms prior to the last recession.

also of course no one forecasted the shutdown and inflation prior to covid.
Correct. And it was this economic shutdown, economic regulation, and central bank policies, that created the current economic climate of significant inflation, massive supply chain disruptions, a more fragile workforce, and an overall skewed supply/demand curve that i'm talking about. This was preventable since it took government/fed action to create.

I am saying there were leading indicators that suggested recession prior to covid. peaking employment was one of them

False. Most key economic indicators projected continued growth from 2020-2025, which is why nearly every model from every source projected growth prior to government policies employed in covid. A low rate of unemployment itself does not indicate a definite looming recession, we've had low unemployment for years without recessions. But again, what we are experiencing right now, is directly due to our governments and their central banks actions throughout covid.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022