CAR Rotrex superchargers?

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
Anyone here have any experience with them? It seems that a bunch of people have heard of them, but I can't find anyone that has actually used them :dunno:

www.rotrex.com

99MustangGTman

Did an article on them in MM&FF. Seem reliable, pretty much just like Vortech or any other centri blower out there.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
I've heard good things. There's a lot less heatsoak, and the design allows for an intercooler to be run easily. However, push-through setups still suffer parasitic losses unlike turbochargers (but not as much loss as Roots blowers have), whereas pull-through setups are somewhat more efficient but cause the intake path to be as long as a turbocharger setup and require relocating the throttle.

It's a good idea if you can't fit a turbo for whatever reason. On your car, you'd still need the pressurized carbs to make it work right, though. Carbs are just a huge pain in the ass when it comes to forced induction.

EDIT: There's some dude who put a Rotrex'd Acura TL engine into an old Mini and he's running crazy times with it. I can't seem to find the video on YouTube, but the build is good enough that I doubt he would've picked a shitty blower to run it with.

Last edited:
TS
TS
PanzerAce

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
I've heard good things. There's a lot less heatsoak, and the design allows for an intercooler to be run easily. However, push-through setups still suffer parasitic losses unlike turbochargers (but not as much loss as Roots blowers have), whereas pull-through setups are somewhat more efficient but cause the intake path to be as long as a turbocharger setup and require relocating the throttle.

It's a good idea if you can't fit a turbo for whatever reason. On your car, you'd still need the pressurized carbs to make it work right, though. Carbs are just a huge pain in the ass when it comes to forced induction.

EDIT: There's some dude who put a Rotrex'd Acura TL engine into an old Mini and he's running crazy times with it. I can't seem to find the video on YouTube, but the build is good enough that I doubt he would've picked a shitty blower to run it with.

This would be on an EFI setup if I did it at all. The one good thing about the same side exhaust/intake would be that I could mount this opposite both and run it through an FMIC.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
True, I guess you do have a lot of space on the boring side of your engine. Sounds like it could be a fun project.

I know turbos need intercoolers, but the way your engine has the intake and exhaust on the same side brings to mind visions of a turbo that sits comfortably between the two manifolds and has an intake path about six inches long. Too bad it would never work without some crazy cooling setup, though.

TS
TS
PanzerAce

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
True, I guess you do have a lot of space on the boring side of your engine. Sounds like it could be a fun project.

I know turbos need intercoolers, but the way your engine has the intake and exhaust on the same side brings to mind visions of a turbo that sits comfortably between the two manifolds and has an intake path about six inches long. Too bad it would never work without some crazy cooling setup, though.
Actually, that's exactly how the stock turbo is IIRC. But yah, the issue is that your intake sits right on top of the turbo and the exhaust, so it gets really fucking hot. To the point that Nissan/Datsun eventually put a fan and duct work in specifically to cool the injectors on the L28e and L28et engines. This super charger setup would be nice because 1) It would allow me to run an FMIC b/w the super and the engine, 2) Allows the use of existing performance exhaust systems (that are already coated), 3) Doesn't lag like a turbo, and 4) Is dimensionally superior to other super chargers, which means I can put it where I actually have room for it, instead of where everything else is.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Yep, that sounds like a good argument to me. All you'd need is a mounting bracket and a longer serpentine belt (if cars back then even used serpentine belts).

TS
TS
PanzerAce

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
Yep, that sounds like a good argument to me. All you'd need is a mounting bracket and a longer serpentine belt (if cars back then even used serpentine belts).
Yah, I'd most likely have to fab up my own mounting bracket, and I'd have to get a new crank pully, since IIRC (and I don't feel like going outside to looks, its fucking cold right now), the stock belt is only just enough to drive the two pumps and the alternator

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
Nah, just get a longer belt that's long enough to reach roughly as far as it needs to, then fab the blower's mounting bracket to match the length of the new belt.

Mr3GTP

OT Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
O motherfucking HI-O
On mine, I replaced the A/C comp with the blower. Took a slightly longer belt, but it was right in line for the 6-rib serp belt.

I realize this isn't an option for everyone, but it worked for me. :dunno:

TS
TS
PanzerAce

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
On mine, I replaced the A/C comp with the blower. Took a slightly longer belt, but it was right in line for the 6-rib serp belt.

I realize this isn't an option for everyone, but it worked for me. :dunno:
So do you have one of their blowers?

And not an option for me, no AC :o

Cachee0

OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume
Apr 1, 2004
Palm Coast, FL
Active Autowerks have been using them for years on the M3 applications
Also HKS has a system for the 350Z.

TS
TS
PanzerAce

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
no diff than vortech or paxton
The selling point of this one seems to be that unlike the other supercharges of this type, it auto regulates the speed of the wheel, so that they can gear it to spin it up to the max pressure quickly, and then hold it there.

deusexaethera

OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2005
The selling point of this one seems to be that unlike the other supercharges of this type, it auto regulates the speed of the wheel, so that they can gear it to spin it up to the max pressure quickly, and then hold it there.
Not sure I see the point of that. As the engine revs up, it will suck in more air per second, so the *charger needs to keep pace with the crankshaft so it can deliver more air per second. Spinning up the compressor quickly and then maintaining it at the same airflow as the engine revs up would cause a boost spike at first, followed by a long taper-off that would leave the engine no better than stock by the time it reaches redline.

GreyRS

Your ignorance cramps my conversation.
Jun 8, 2000
FL
I thought the difference was the use of planetary gears to allow higher boost at any given rpm?

TS
TS
PanzerAce

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
Well, I emailed them, we'll see what they respond with. It does seem to be that it just allows for a higher boost without needing massive solid gears to turn the wheel faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor