TECH Royal Astronomical Society to announce they found life on Venus today

melroy

wonderin how many people ITT have been meditating
Apr 1, 2018

2 hours until whatever disappointing announcement that is being misconstrued and hyped up.

Its only disappointing if you except to find grey skin dudes walking around with their dicks out probing people

Reactions: MM

Publius

Professor of Triggerednometry
Jan 16, 2004
Big D by the Trinity
Its only disappointing if you except to find grey skin dudes walking around with their dicks out probing people
It's probably just molecules that could be caused by organic life but could also have geologic causes. I'll be happy if it is actually microbes but I have serious doubts that is what this is definitively saying.

Reactions: TheProwler

thumpr

someone you trust is one of us
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
大阪, 日本
Seager and her colleagues suggest that the most likely way for microbes to survive above Venus is inside liquid droplets. But such droplets don't stay still, as anyone who's ever seen rain knows. Eventually they grow large enough that gravity takes over. In the case of Venus, this would mean droplets harboring tiny life forms and falling toward the hotter, lower layers of the planet's atmosphere, where they'd inevitably dry up. "We propose for the first time that the only way life can survive indefinitely is with a life cycle that involves microbial life drying out as liquid droplets evaporate during settling, with the small desiccated 'spores' halting at, and partially populating, the Venus atmosphere stagnant lower haze layer," the paper's summary reads. These dried-out spores would go into a sort of hibernation phase similar to what tardigrades can do, and eventually be lifted higher into the atmosphere and rehydrated, continuing the life cycle.

This is all speculation. Fortunately for Venusian life hunters, a number of astronomers and their instruments are trained on the complex planet. NASA is even considering a mission, dubbed Veritas, that could depart as soon as 2026 to orbit and study Venus and its clouds.

Meanwhile, more data from Venus, and perhaps new discoveries, may soon be incoming. The forecast for the planet remains, as it has for some time, cloudy with a chance of microbes.

Twinsen

Resident Negro
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN
good, but it's 2020 so it will be bad
source.gif

Publius

Professor of Triggerednometry
Jan 16, 2004
Big D by the Trinity
It's probably just molecules that could be caused by organic life but could also have geologic causes. I'll be happy if it is actually microbes but I have serious doubts that is what this is definitively saying.
Called it. :o

Still kind of exciting though, since their study seems to find a discrepancy between the amount in the atmosphere vs known geologic sources.

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas

Still kind of exciting though, since their study seems to find a discrepancy between the amount in the atmosphere vs known geologic sources.

i believe you called it 3 minutes after me :scootin:

come up with an original idea sometime :scootin:

• Haha
Reactions: Twinsen

Meat Popsicle

You're stewed, butt wad!
OT Supporter
Apr 26, 2002
The Middle

While it could be caused by some sort of geo-chemical process, it will be one we currently aren't aware of.

The only process we know of that creates it like this is life.

So we'll see. :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor