TECH Ruby on Rails

Shampoo

Rinse & Repost
May 5, 2004
California
I've never had such a difficulty with code before, Ruby is supposed to be easy, such BS, I can't get a hello world to display.

Is there a good tutorial out there on just getting started? I have it installed, but can't get it to work properly.

SmugZombie

Aug 2, 2006
Purgatory
I've never had such a difficulty with code before, Ruby is supposed to be easy, such BS, I can't get a hello world to display.

Is there a good tutorial out there on just getting started? I have it installed, but can't get it to work properly.

In for answer, havent even touched ruby yet... but should someday...

retorq

What up bitch??
Dec 14, 2006
Mohave Desert
There were a few threads in the computer and programming area a few months back ... I'm not into it so I didn't pay too much attention but that might help. :big grin:

whup

I wish you had children and.. so that I could step
Feb 12, 2007
If you're struggling with Ruby itself, just about every web language now has multiple frameworks that implement the Rails concepts, so you could evaluate those that PHP has (though there's a lot).

whup

I wish you had children and.. so that I could step
Feb 12, 2007
the beauty of rails is not necessarily the framework, but the language itself

Even though the language is a big part of Rails, most people that go to it are doing it for the framework features like good MVC, scaffolding, ActiveRecord, migrations, Prototype/Scriptaculous integration etc - all of which can (and have been) applied in other platforms.

I find unless someone has programming in their blood, they can get what they want out of Rails out of existing frameworks, leveraging whatever language they already know.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan