Rules updates: Doxxing, bad fellowship, and negativity

mangid

OT Supporter
Jan 12, 2008
San Diego
Nope.

Just that Faz wants to change the culture of this community into a positive one.

If Faz gave a fuck about the culture of the community, he'd post here more than once a year

Xerq tried the positivity angle and it turned into a festering shithole. If we wanted that, we'd post there. Or reddit. Or anywhere else, really. If he wants more money, I'll gladly pay an increased sub price.

Reactions: JZA

canning

Super Moderator
Oct 31, 2001
If Faz gave a fuck about the culture of the community, he'd post here more than once a year

Xerq tried the positivity angle and it turned into a festering shithole. If we wanted that, we'd post there. Or reddit. Or anywhere else, really. If he wants more money, I'll gladly pay an increased sub price.

If you can't see what this is really about than I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: Lil Nas X

thumpr

someone you trust is one of us
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
大阪, 日本
i think generally, OTers can see what this is really about... but they can also see that this new rule implementation and apparent method of enforcement is a really, REALLY shitty idea that is borderline unenforceable.

i'm not angry or going to bitch and moan... i just wanted to put it out there that i think it's either not going to work or not going to be properly enforced as it's currently written, or that trying to enforce it will result in a multitude of unintended consequences, none of which are probably going to be positive.

peakhead

@Chuckfinley, give me my likes back pls
Mar 3, 2005
grammar police
i think generally, OTers can see what this is really about... but they can also see that this new rule implementation and apparent method of enforcement is a really, REALLY shitty idea that is borderline unenforceable.

i'm not angry or going to bitch and moan... i just wanted to put it out there that i think it's either not going to work or not going to be properly enforced as it's currently written, or that trying to enforce it will result in a multitude of unintended consequences, none of which are probably going to be positive.
this rule is better than doing nothing imo..

TS
TS
Emfuser

Emfuser

Ghost of OT Past
OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2002
Irmo, SC
Sorry dude. We had to take action into our own hands and will continue to.

Yes, you've made it quite clear you don't intend to follow the new rules. I'm sure after you get permabanned for breaking the one you're complaining the most about that oters.xlsx will recompile itself into a fully-sentient AI and destroy OT, starting with Fazle and the supermod that bans you. I look forward to our new MS Excel overlords, etc etc.

gimpshiznit

Totally not Larry
OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2003
Twin Shitties
Yes, you've made it quite clear you don't intend to follow the new rules. I'm sure after you get permabanned for breaking the one you're complaining the most about that oters.xlsx will recompile itself into a fully-sentient AI and destroy OT, starting with Fazle and the supermod that bans you. I look forward to our new MS Excel overlords, etc etc.
I won't be perma'd.
Your days are numbered however

Babylon

i'm tired, i'm freezing, i'm dumb
Dec 27, 2007
So he wants OT to be xerq? Why not just say that?

The doxxing I absolutely agree with. "Enforcing" a rule that is, by the mods own admission, based on discretion is a bad angle to take. It's also partly what makes this forum so fucking funny and fun to be a part of. Seeing all the dumb avatars of people and then searching threads because I missed the initial joke only to find out randomoterX posted the picture themselves and then others ran with it. Why is that something that now needs to be banned? Every single member here understands that if you post something in the main forum, it's fair game. It's been that way since before I got here, so changing it now, 16 years later, is actually fucking with a pillar of what made people like me join and stick around. Every few years theres some new "rule" that mods are supposedly "told" to enforce that sucks the fun and life out of the community for a few months. Then you guys see you fucked up, change it back to how it was, and the community runs smoothly again. Except, in case ya haven't notice, every time that happens more people leave and don't come back. If I wanted to post on reddit, I'd post there. If I wanted to join the positive vibes of xerq where everyone says please and thank you, I'd do that. If this is really a fazle decision, hopefully dude reads this post and others like it and can see that he's fucking with one of the few good things left about this place.

peakhead

Mar 3, 2005
grammar police
So he wants OT to be xerq? Why not just say that?

The doxxing I absolutely agree with. "Enforcing" a rule that is, by the mods own admission, based on discretion is a bad angle to take. It's also partly what makes this forum so fucking funny and fun to be a part of. Seeing all the dumb avatars of people and then searching threads because I missed the initial joke only to find out randomoterX posted the picture themselves and then others ran with it. Why is that something that now needs to be banned? Every single member here understands that if you post something in the main forum, it's fair game. It's been that way since before I got here, so changing it now, 16 years later, is actually fucking with a pillar of what made people like me join and stick around. Every few years theres some new "rule" that mods are supposedly "told" to enforce that sucks the fun and life out of the community for a few months. Then you guys see you fucked up, change it back to how it was, and the community runs smoothly again. Except, in case ya haven't notice, every time that happens more people leave and don't come back. If I wanted to post on reddit, I'd post there. If I wanted to join the positive vibes of xerq where everyone says please and thank you, I'd do that. If this is really a fazle decision, hopefully dude reads this post and others like it and can see that he's fucking with one of the few good things left about this place.
don't be silly, everything is and has always been based on discretion since day one. furthermore, nothing of consequence has changed for you or any other "normal" person on this site. you have absolutely nothing to worry about. what EXACTLY are you scared of? can you be specific?

Chuck Finley

Florida Man | Infamous ROFL Spammer
Super Moderator
May 1, 2002
St Pete, FL
don't be silly, everything is and has always been based on discretion since day one. furthermore, nothing of consequence has changed for you or any other "normal" people on this site. you have absolutely nothing to worry about. what EXACTLY are you scared of? can you be specific?
This

Babylon

Dec 27, 2007
don't be silly, everything is and has always been based on discretion since day one. furthermore, nothing of consequence has changed for you or any other "normal" person on this site. you have absolutely nothing to worry about. what EXACTLY are you scared of? can you be specific?
I'm not "scared" of anything. I think its very shortsighted to remove one of the few things left on this site that set it apart from the others and make it fun. That's all.

Chuck Finley

Florida Man | Infamous ROFL Spammer
Super Moderator
May 1, 2002
St Pete, FL
I'm not "scared" of anything. I think its very shortsighted to remove one of the few things left on this site that set it apart from the others and make it fun. That's all.
You're upset you can't harass others with their own photo anymore? Yikes

Reactions: peakhead

Babylon

Dec 27, 2007
You're upset you can't harass others with their own photo anymore? Yikes
I've never once done that. Check my $tat$. But I think all of the mods pretending like it hasn't created some of the funniest/most iconic moments on this site is hilarious. And once again, shortsighted. Everyone knows whatever they post in a main forum thread is free range. Why change that? The forum moves at a snails pace compared to how it once did, and now there's no chance for a douche canoe 2017. Very unfortunate.

TS
TS
Emfuser

Emfuser

Ghost of OT Past
OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2002
Irmo, SC
I've never once done that. Check my $tat$. But I think all of the mods pretending like it hasn't created some of the funniest/most iconic moments on this site is hilarious. And once again, shortsighted. Everyone knows whatever they post in a main forum thread is free range. Why change that? The forum moves at a snails pace compared to how it once did, and now there's no chance for a douche canoe 2017. Very unfortunate.

The culture of the internet, and thus OT, has changed since those days. Now most of the time users posting pictures of other users tends to be for something along the lines of harassment or threatening people. We've been dealing with this for years and we got tired of trying to figure out who posted what or if they ever posted it or if it was dug up outside of OT or whatever. The solution to this was to make the rule real simple: don't post pictures or identifying information of anyone but yourself. Sorry if that ruins OT, but I personally think this is long overdue.

Babylon

Dec 27, 2007
The culture of the internet, and thus OT, has changed since those days. Now most of the time users posting pictures of other users tends to be for something along the lines of harassment or threatening people. We've been dealing with this for years and we got tired of trying to figure out who posted what or if they ever posted it or if it was dug up outside of OT or whatever. The solution to this was to make the rule real simple: don't post pictures or identifying information of anyone but yourself. Sorry if that ruins OT, but I personally think this is long overdue.
I can respect the reasoning here.

TS
TS
Emfuser

Emfuser

Ghost of OT Past
OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2002
Irmo, SC
I can respect the reasoning here.

We debated less severe options but all of them had exponentially greater mod burden with little real expected difference in outcome.

We are keeping a list in the Mod Corner of anyone who states that they're OK with others posting their pictures. People can always opt-in to the old way of things on an individual basis.

peakhead

Mar 3, 2005
grammar police
what is being removed? again, be specific about your concerns. right now you're saying "well things changed and i don't like it..i don't know exactly what changed but it for sure can't be good!!"

Babylon

Dec 27, 2007
what is being removed? again, be specific about your concerns. right now you're saying "well things changed and i don't like it..i don't know exactly what changed but it for sure can't be good!!"
I was specific, fam.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec