CREW Running CREW v9

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
I just moved to an area w/ snow. What gear do you use to run in 30* temps?
There are running gloves, you can wear a headband around your ears. Long sleeves, etc. Once you start sweating and core temp comes up you will be fine. Keep that in mind when you’re getting your running gear on, because I think most will try to layer up good, then be suffering after 15 min because you’re overheating.

oh, and dont forget bodyglide (or similar) for your nipples.

Reactions: iLLt3ck

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Started new Garmin program

Day 1 - 800 intervals
Day 2 - 30 second hill intervals
Day 3 - run 7 miles.

Did the 7 miles today and now my right leg is killing me. Calf/foot pain, should have stopped but I'm stupid so there's that. Now on pain pills and resting until Wednesday when we do it all over again.
Can you do a slow and easy low impact jog today/tomorrow? Helps promote blood flow and healing to the area, instead of just doing nothing on it for 3 days.

Reactions: mollywhop

mollywhop

🤙 Dick was moist as fuck 🤙
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Can you do a slow and easy low impact jog today/tomorrow? Helps promote blood flow and healing to the area, instead of just doing nothing on it for 3 days.
active recovery ftw

although if he's actually hurt something then he may be better off not pounding on it anymore until it's had a chance to heal up a bit

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
Im assuming it was chaffed pussy lips.
:rofl:

This is very accurate.

I would consider it but I need my off days. Currently working 13 hours a day. I can already feel the soreness coming since all I do is sit at a computer all day.

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
active recovery ftw

although if he's actually hurt something then he may be better off not pounding on it anymore until it's had a chance to heal up a bit
As much as you want to put that evil on me it was my usual overdoing it. Ended up doing 7 miles at 10:43 pace. Should have taken water but I'm stupid. Ended up getting really warm too, felt like it was in the 80's with the sun.

So much for easy run rofl

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210125-101058.png
    Screenshot_20210125-101058.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210125-101046.png
    Screenshot_20210125-101046.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 8

Fanya

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2005
Maybe something like this:
TkgcsTQ.jpg
@mollywhop this one is definitely the winner. Went on a run yesterday at 16*, I couldn't even tell it was cold out. My big nose kept the fabric away from my mouth, and it didn't stick to my face or get as wet as my buff did. I wore my behind the head ear muffs over the ear part. Heat was able to vent heat as usual. The whole thing worked really nice. Not sure at what point I'll need maybe need to add a hat.

Fanya

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2005
I just moved to an area w/ snow. What gear do you use to run in 30* temps?
I've been using my normal running shoes.

I ran the other day in the mid 30s. first layer of a merino wool thermal, 2nd layer was a cotton thermal, and then a sleeveless wind proof vest. legs had a merino wool long underwear and running pants over top. Iwool socks. I also wear a buff around my neck but it is not pulled up or anything.

32 and under I'm running with a zip up long sleeve hoodie over that, upper 20s it'll come off at some point and I'll carry it. lower 20s and it'll stay on the whole time. in the 20s the buff will be pulled up around my ears with my behind the head ear muffs over it. once it drops below 20 the buff is around my neck and I add the face thing from above.

Reactions: iLLt3ck

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
@mollywhop this one is definitely the winner. Went on a run yesterday at 16*, I couldn't even tell it was cold out. My big nose kept the fabric away from my mouth, and it didn't stick to my face or get as wet as my buff did. I wore my behind the head ear muffs over the ear part. Heat was able to vent heat as usual. The whole thing worked really nice. Not sure at what point I'll need maybe need to add a hat.
yeah I should have got one of these. what's the brand you have? the one I got like the other one you had posted I just snagged from Dick's and it doesn't fit my huge dome very well at all. I've also only used it once because even in 10 degree weather my bald ass head starts sweating in seconds so it's easier just to wear a beanie I can take off and a gaiter I can pull up if it's too cold to breathe without pain :rofl:

Reactions: Fanya

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
did my first run in like 4 or maybe 5 days today, only 3.3 and it was slow but I think I'm mostly ok so glad I actually took some time to rest and work on my other training in the meantime :bowdown:

• Love
Reactions: Nom and Fanya

Fanya

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2005
yeah I should have got one of these. what's the brand you have? the one I got like the other one you had posted I just snagged from Dick's and it doesn't fit my huge dome very well at all. I've also only used it once because even in 10 degree weather my bald ass head starts sweating in seconds so it's easier just to wear a beanie I can take off and a gaiter I can pull up if it's too cold to breathe without pain :rofl:
Code:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LE04OXI
this is what I bought

It was a weird experience too, because a lot of the hot air seeps up between the gaps, so I was getting condensation on my eyelashes and eyebrows that was freezing as I was running. But I was super comfortable temperature wise

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Haven’t been running much and the few times I have, it’s been shuffling my feet basically to try and keep HR down. Am 5 weeks into a cycling training block because I thought that would be a lower impact way to help rebuild fitness. Did a 90 min structured workout yesterday and figured I’d try running today. No HR restrictions, just go out and see what happens, and see where my run fitness is.

85D2D52B-86F3-4FCF-837F-2CB8A366E6B2.jpeg

Reactions: Fanya and Nom

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
As much as you want to put that evil on me it was my usual overdoing it. Ended up doing 7 miles at 10:43 pace. Should have taken water but I'm stupid. Ended up getting really warm too, felt like it was in the 80's with the sun.

So much for easy run rofl
Get your cadence up to 180

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
Does your Garmin have a metronome? You can set it to beep/vibrate in a rhythm, so every time it beeps, your right foot needs to be hitting the ground (or left). Helps you learn what that cadence feels like and keeps you on target.
Yeah it does but I took too much time off and just trying to get back in the groove before I start ducking with more shit.

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
after a couple weeks of maybe getting like 30 miles in if that, I did a solid 4 yesterday with some big hill climbs and felt great the whole time...despite trying to adhere to my own advice on taking it easy I probably would have just made it a 10K+ if I had a flashlight but it was already dark and it's bear country with no lights anywhere, just pitch black. Plenty of gas left in the tank which just reminds me that even when I'm 100% I should be scaling back to 3-4 heavy mileage days a week and at least 2-3 days of no running at all for sure, it's hard to deny that I get better runs in with respect to every metric when I do that

I also figured out I think where the foot pain and the leg issue as well are coming from, pinpointed down to a new pair of Adrenaline GTS 21s (Brooks) that I just started rotating in to the mix a couple months ago. I figured out the timeframe and it matches that every time I wore those shoes (typically I wear 2-3 different pair each week, but the main pair is my Adrenaline GTS 20's which are probably the best running shoes I've ever owned) I get foot pain almost immediately and then that weird twisting leg pain that only hurts intermittently a couple days later, lasting a day or two and then just about fading, until the time that I wear the shoes again and start the cycle again. Disappointed but I guess I can always find a couple pairs of the GTS 19s or 20s and just hang on to them until I find another GOAT shoe

Fanya

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2005
after a couple weeks of maybe getting like 30 miles in if that, I did a solid 4 yesterday with some big hill climbs and felt great the whole time...despite trying to adhere to my own advice on taking it easy I probably would have just made it a 10K+ if I had a flashlight but it was already dark and it's bear country with no lights anywhere, just pitch black. Plenty of gas left in the tank which just reminds me that even when I'm 100% I should be scaling back to 3-4 heavy mileage days a week and at least 2-3 days of no running at all for sure, it's hard to deny that I get better runs in with respect to every metric when I do that
I take 2 or 3 days off an only run 3 miles on the days I run. I don't understand these big mileage days.

I also figured out I think where the foot pain and the leg issue as well are coming from, pinpointed down to a new pair of Adrenaline GTS 21s (Brooks) that I just started rotating in to the mix a couple months ago. I figured out the timeframe and it matches that every time I wore those shoes (typically I wear 2-3 different pair each week, but the main pair is my Adrenaline GTS 20's which are probably the best running shoes I've ever owned) I get foot pain almost immediately and then that weird twisting leg pain that only hurts intermittently a couple days later, lasting a day or two and then just about fading, until the time that I wear the shoes again and start the cycle again. Disappointed but I guess I can always find a couple pairs of the GTS 19s or 20s and just hang on to them until I find another GOAT shoe
6 years ago or so I found a pair of all black Nikes that were perfect. Nike flex. They were discontinuing the all black, so I bought 10 pairs. I'm down to 5, I should have bought another 10. I rue the day I will have to seek out new shoes again.

Reactions: mollywhop

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
I take 2 or 3 days off an only run 3 miles on the days I run. I don't understand these big mileage days.

6 years ago or so I found a pair of all black Nikes that were perfect. Nike flex. They were discontinuing the all black, so I bought 10 pairs. I'm down to 5, I should have bought another 10. I rue the day I will have to seek out new shoes again.
Im not talking crazy mileage but maybe like 10-13 only 3x a week. Or maybe 6-8 miles 4x a week. All depends on if I keep trying to dual focus with strength training or go back to running full time and training for a race maybe

Reactions: Fanya

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003

Be careful not to step in the bullshit.
@mollywhop
🙊 1612316678373.png

nadroj

OT Supporter
Sep 2, 2004
Houston
7 weeks into a hal higdon plan. still not in shape but i can make it through the runs without stopping. mile times range between 12 and 14min with a giant variation day to day. just got a watch and might have to give the cadence thing a shot. being less fat would be more beneficial than anything 2 yellow days were missed due to severe hangovers

Does your Garmin have a metronome? You can set it to beep/vibrate in a rhythm, so every time it beeps, your right foot needs to be hitting the ground (or left). Helps you learn what that cadence feels like and keeps you on target.

20210127-232754-2.jpg

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
7 weeks into a hal higdon plan. still not in shape but i can make it through the runs without stopping. mile times range between 12 and 14min with a giant variation day to day. just got a watch and might have to give the cadence thing a shot. being less fat would be more beneficial than anything 2 yellow days were missed due to severe hangovers

20210127-232754-2.jpg
What’s the main idea in the plan

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74