CREW Running CREW v9

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
I’d have to know WTF it means before offering an opinion :o
From the reviews I have seen it looks at your workouts and tells you if you are overdoing etc. I think that’s what it is :o . What watch are you using

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
From the reviews I have seen it looks at your workouts and tells you if you are overdoing etc. I think that’s what it is :o . What watch are you using
Fénix 3.

I don’t put much stock into metrics from Garmin/Strava/etc.

TrainingPeaks is a platform for coaches/athletes where a coach can plug in your workouts and you pull them up and complete them. It reads all your data and you can really look at the details closely. It reports your TSS (training stress score) and gives you 3 numbers. It’s helpful when training for a race because you can try to peak right before race day, where you’re still maintaining fitness from the prior weeks, but you’ve also allowed some recovery at the end so you’re hopefully racing fairly fresh.

A69EFF7A-BAB3-4874-99C2-DCE628331F20.jpeg

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
So basically your training/fitness stays with you for a longer period of time. You don’t “lose it” that fast if you suddenly stop working out. You build it up hard until shortly before the race and begin tapering back to allow your body to recover/heal. The fitness you lose won’t be that much, but the fatigue your body has will greatly reduce. If done properly, your Form number will be really high because you’ve retained most of your fitness and have very little fatigue headed into the race.

mollywhop

🤙 Dick was moist as fuck 🤙
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
So basically your training/fitness stays with you for a longer period of time. You don’t “lose it” that fast if you suddenly stop working out. You build it up hard until shortly before the race and begin tapering back to allow your body to recover/heal. The fitness you lose won’t be that much, but the fatigue your body has will greatly reduce. If done properly, your Form number will be really high because you’ve retained most of your fitness and have very little fatigue headed into the race.
this is the reason I want a whoop strap or something else like that, or I at least need to start keeping a more detailed "journal" to try to make some sense of how my recovery actually works, sometimes there's no rhyme or reason and I'm always riding the line of overdoing it because I only take about 2 true rest days a month currently

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
this is the reason I want a whoop strap or something else like that, or I at least need to start keeping a more detailed "journal" to try to make some sense of how my recovery actually works, sometimes there's no rhyme or reason and I'm always riding the line of overdoing it because I only take about 2 true rest days a month currently
I’ve heard mixed reviews on whoop.

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
And since when are you @JohnnyBeagIe ?

TrainingPeaks does a good job of monitoring fatigue vs fitness. If you don’t want to get too specific, just do training blocks.

do a 4 week block where you do speed/interval/hill repeats/track workouts maybe 2x during the week. Do recovery runs in-between so you’re not doing bard workouts back to back. And do a longer run on the weekends. Do that for 4 weeks, then take an “easy” recovery week. Then start a new block.

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
And since when are you @JohnnyBeagIe ?

TrainingPeaks does a good job of monitoring fatigue vs fitness. If you don’t want to get too specific, just do training blocks.

do a 4 week block where you do speed/interval/hill repeats/track workouts maybe 2x during the week. Do recovery runs in-between so you’re not doing bard workouts back to back. And do a longer run on the weekends. Do that for 4 weeks, then take an “easy” recovery week. Then start a new block.
what's a bard workout? Where I run around playing a lute?

Reactions: Wolf

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
a regular week looks like this:

Mon - run (currently 5 miles or less as I'm keeping it under 25 miles/week while actively strength training as well)
Tues - gym day (3 day split/week) + sprints and/or speedwork later in the day
Wed - run only
Thurs - gym day + hill runs later
Fri - run only
Sat - gym day + HIIT
Sun - recovery jog (slow pace, relatively flat with limited hills, with the dog sort of thing - i.e. active recovery)

• Wow
Reactions: Nom

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
a regular week looks like this:

Mon - run (currently 5 miles or less as I'm keeping it under 25 miles/week while actively strength training as well)
Tues - gym day (3 day split/week) + sprints and/or speedwork later in the day
Wed - run only
Thurs - gym day + hill runs later
Fri - run only
Sat - gym day + HIIT
Sun - recovery jog (slow pace, relatively flat with limited hills, with the dog sort of thing - i.e. active recovery)

But what are your runs like? That's important. saying "run 5 miles" doesn't help much. I'd do this:

Mon - rest
Tues - 60 min interval/speed run workout
Wed - gym + easy bike workout?
Thurs - 60 min interval/speed/hills/etc.
Fri - gym
Sat - long run. Mix in some intervals
Sun - 45 min easy recovery run, focus on cadence & form.

Your gym work shouldn't be a lot of legs. Do core/trunk work. Maybe some lateral stability work, single leg, etc. since running is mainly a straight-ahead workout and you don't get much lateral stability strengthening/training. But you don't want to blow out your legs in the gym the day before you're doing a hard interval workout. Even worse, you're doing a gym workout the same day you go and run hills later. How productive do you think your hill training will be if your legs are already fatigued from an earlier gym workout?

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
But what are your runs like? That's important. saying "run 5 miles" doesn't help much. I'd do this:

Mon - rest
Tues - 60 min interval/speed run workout
Wed - gym + easy bike workout?
Thurs - 60 min interval/speed/hills/etc.
Fri - gym
Sat - long run. Mix in some intervals
Sun - 45 min easy recovery run, focus on cadence & form.

Your gym work shouldn't be a lot of legs. Do core/trunk work. Maybe some lateral stability work, single leg, etc. since running is mainly a straight-ahead workout and you don't get much lateral stability strengthening/training. But you don't want to blow out your legs in the gym the day before you're doing a hard interval workout. Even worse, you're doing a gym workout the same day you go and run hills later. How productive do you think your hill training will be if your legs are already fatigued from an earlier gym workout?

I do legs on the same day I do back and bi's and to your point I do limit legs more than I would if I was only lifting - only 4 exercises and 4 sets each (vs 8-10 for other muscle groups), and I time my additional HIIT/hills/etc. work around those days - typically the last gym day of the week includes legs which lets me recover the following day on the slow jog day and then pick back up the day after. I've got it worked out at this point to where I know exactly the limit for how hard I blast legs to where 48 hours later I actually have a better run than I would if I was completely "fresh"

re: the runs, they're always going to have ~1000-1500 ft of elevation change over the run no matter what route I take bc I'm in a mountainous area, so they're always pretty tough

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
oh and as an aside, heavy core work is a given. I do 3-4 varied core exercises on every day I'm at the gym, typically supersets in between the lifts for the muscle groups I'm focusing on that particular day. I've been doing a lot of old school shit like leg lifts lately while wearing turquoise joggers and a wig and listening to 80's music

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
holy fuck just put 3 miles in and im DED

i used to do twice this every other day, how far i've fallen

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
i've been riding a bike instead of running :rofl:
Yeah I realized that prob wasn’t the best wording as I said that :rofl: you gonna stick to the bike long term? I need to chill out so I can get at least a few more years of running out of my body before I gotta go lower impact for the long run

beddachedda

life is uncertain. don't sip.
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
Yeah I realized that prob wasn’t the best wording as I said that :rofl: you gonna stick to the bike long term? I need to chill out so I can get at least a few more years of running out of my body before I gotta go lower impact for the long run
ideally a combination of both - running really does have the best bang for the buck in terms of cardio per second that i've found. love going on 2 hour long bike rides but i just dont get the same amount of sweat that i do running

peloton and road bike are a nice combo for seeing improvement, but there's just something about running that i love and hate that's introspective and hard as hell that i can't shake

need to get my muscles back in gear :o

Reactions: saabguy

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Easy 45 min this morning. Not a flashy or hard run at all, but one of my better runs recently when you look at HR. No crazy jumps up to 180+ like it was doing before. That’s fine for doing hard intervals, but at an easy consistent pace, the HR shouldn’t be getting up that high.

9FF2E39C-8773-4B8C-9E0B-D549FF63CD14.jpeg

Reactions: Nom

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
Very nice. I also ran but my shins started acting up so back to walking it is

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
90 min on the bike this morning at just about what race day effort would be. Was a hard ride to hang in there and do on the trainer.

hopped off, laced up my running shoes and immediately went out for a 30 min run at a pretty good effort. It gets fucking hot as shit in my bike room so I drank a lot during the ride. Then when I got outside, it was like fucking 40 degrees and my stomach felt super bloated and made it hard to get full breaths. On a good note, my legs didn’t feel fatigued at the faster pace. It was my lungs/stomach that were getting to me. Got better as it went on. Pretty pleased with today

41040623-CBE9-4D6E-A6A0-D23CF06FB969.jpeg

Fanya

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2005
been too cold to run, been below zero since Thursday. Tuesday will be in the high single digits again, I'll go back out then

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor