CREW Running CREW v9

mollywhop

🤙 Dick was moist as fuck 🤙
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Also are you saying you went from a neutral shoe to a support shoe with a high arch? If so then that can definitely cause or exacerbate existing pain especially if you don’t actually overpronate

Wolf

Slow Suicide's No Way To Go
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
i mean i've never been an avid runner, but i've been jogging off and on for the last 20 years. i started at 230, at 220 now. As far as where I'm landing I haven't been paying attention.
ah gotcha.

Heel-striking is the big thing I always hear about when it comes to knee pain.

But then again, I'm just a hobby-jogger, so I'm not an expert

tunes

OT Supporter
Nov 16, 2006
GA
Also are you saying you went from a neutral shoe to a support shoe with a high arch? If so then that can definitely cause or exacerbate existing pain especially if you don’t actually overpronate
Paid attention today. I’m landing on the balls of my feet. I’d assume at least one of the new shoes has a high arch because I can occasionally feel discomfort like something is pushing up on the inside middle of my foot

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Paid attention today. I’m landing on the balls of my feet. I’d assume at least one of the new shoes has a high arch because I can occasionally feel discomfort like something is pushing up on the inside middle of my foot
well the first part's good

the second part not so much if you do not actually overpronate (i.e. if your foot doesn't push inwards essentially upon landing)

the best way to quickly is to grab a piece of cardboard or paper, dip your (bare) foot in water, and then carefully step onto the paper to see your footprint. If you see the full footprint including the full arch (do it a couple times) you are overpronating, if you only see the outside arch you likely underpronate, and if it just looks like a stereotypical footprint missing some of the inside arch chances are you just want a neutral shoe. This isn't the exact scientific way to do it but it's enough to at least quickly know whether you should stop wearing those support shoes or not if you don't need them because they will fuck your shit sideways if not

Reactions: tunes

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
I'm looking on the on running website and can't easily tell if those shoes you mentioned are support models or just regular neutral but I did notice that one is a basic cushioned road runner and the other is basically a racing flat. Careful mixing the two especially if the drop is significantly different. The last time I seriously hurt myself running it was from several months of putting down 35+ miles a week in a pair of racing flats when I should have never worn anything that didn't have significant arch support and then switching back to other road running shoes in between randomly. "Foot confusion" isn't a lot of fun in my experience, others may feel differently

Reactions: tunes

Ffej207

University of South Florida... in West Central Flo
Dec 29, 2000
Charleston, SC
My Achilleseses have been killing my since throwing Merrell Vapor Gloves in the mix. I've had some minimal pain when going to the Vibrams before, but never like this and this long lasting. I went back to NB Minimus Trail v10s and we'll see how that goes. Really probably just need to lose some weight and stop being a fat ass. Been pretty consistently getting 3-4 runs a week in. :hsd:

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
I'm looking on the on running website and can't easily tell if those shoes you mentioned are support models or just regular neutral but I did notice that one is a basic cushioned road runner and the other is basically a racing flat. Careful mixing the two especially if the drop is significantly different. The last time I seriously hurt myself running it was from several months of putting down 35+ miles a week in a pair of racing flats when I should have never worn anything that didn't have significant arch support and then switching back to other road running shoes in between randomly. "Foot confusion" isn't a lot of fun in my experience, others may feel differently
What are you some dr or something. Ugh

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
Hold up...

support/motion control shoes I thought typically don’t have high arches. They are for flatter feet runners who tend to wear out the inside of their shoes, so they are built with extra support along the inside of the sole to help keep the foot from collapsing inwards. Lightweight, neutral shoes are more apt to have higher arch supports because the foot has naturally higher arches. I don’t think people with high arches tend to overpronate. And if you don’t overpronate, you wouldn’t need a stability shoe. Right?

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Hold up...

support/motion control shoes I thought typically don’t have high arches. They are for flatter feet runners who tend to wear out the inside of their shoes, so they are built with extra support along the inside of the sole to help keep the foot from collapsing inwards. Lightweight, neutral shoes are more apt to have higher arch supports because the foot has naturally higher arches. I don’t think people with high arches tend to overpronate. And if you don’t overpronate, you wouldn’t need a stability shoe. Right?

I could have used a better term than "arch support" because there are a bunch of different arches, I was referring to the interior arch (I think it's called the longitudinal arch) that is what is typically supported in a "support" style shoe

otherwise agree

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Look at the treads of your shoes too and see where you wear out faster. That will show you where you’re landing.

the cloudX are beefier motion control stability shoes. The cloud surfer and other one you said are more neutral. If you’re running in a neutral shoe but need the extra support, that instability could be causing knee pain. Typically a forefoot striker wouldn’t need a stability shoe. If I had to guess, your “natural” gait is more of a heel striker, but once you focus and pay attention, you are more mid-foot.

also, as a newer runner, it will take your body a bit to adjust to the impact of running. Particularly if you’re carrying 220+lb. I would stick with a stability shoe and go for runs at a comfortable pace which allows you to carry on a conversation. Nothing that gets your HR too high. Do that for a while and you will notice your feet/ankles/knees adapt to the exercise. Part of it is training the muscles around the knee to strengthen them which helps to keep everything in place.

tunes

OT Supporter
Nov 16, 2006
GA
Look at the treads of your shoes too and see where you wear out faster. That will show you where you’re landing.

the cloudX are beefier motion control stability shoes. The cloud surfer and other one you said are more neutral. If you’re running in a neutral shoe but need the extra support, that instability could be causing knee pain. Typically a forefoot striker wouldn’t need a stability shoe. If I had to guess, your “natural” gait is more of a heel striker, but once you focus and pay attention, you are more mid-foot.

also, as a newer runner, it will take your body a bit to adjust to the impact of running. Particularly if you’re carrying 220+lb. I would stick with a stability shoe and go for runs at a comfortable pace which allows you to carry on a conversation. Nothing that gets your HR too high. Do that for a while and you will notice your feet/ankles/knees adapt to the exercise. Part of it is training the muscles around the knee to strengthen them which helps to keep everything in place.
Well shit maybe I got it confused. My feet seem to love the cloud x with minimal knee pain. The cloud surfers are great to walk in but I think a little more knee pain. The cloud swift seems to be the one that hurts the most.
I started with the Xs which I’ve had for a while and tried a few days with the swifts and that’s when I really started to notice the knee pain. I then put the surfers on for a few days because they are so comfortable to walk in and still had the knee pain but less. Took a week off when we were at Disney and went back to the X when we got back and back to some knee pain but not completely terrible. Wondering if maybe the surfer pin was residual from the other pair and I should give them a shot again?

what I’m also noticing is the slower I run the more it hurts which seems like it would be the exact opposite. At about 5.5 -6 mph it’s not terrible but 7.5-8 it seems my motion flows much smoother...only problem is I can’t keep that speed upall that long

walking in definitely a heel striker

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Well shit maybe I got it confused. My feet seem to love the cloud x with minimal knee pain. The cloud surfers are great to walk in but I think a little more knee pain. The cloud swift seems to be the one that hurts the most.
I started with the Xs which I’ve had for a while and tried a few days with the swifts and that’s when I really started to notice the knee pain. I then put the surfers on for a few days because they are so comfortable to walk in and still had the knee pain but less. Took a week off when we were at Disney and went back to the X when we got back and back to some knee pain but not completely terrible. Wondering if maybe the surfer pin was residual from the other pair and I should give them a shot again?

what I’m also noticing is the slower I run the more it hurts which seems like it would be the exact opposite. At about 5.5 -6 mph it’s not terrible but 7.5-8 it seems my motion flows much smoother...only problem is I can’t keep that speed upall that long

walking in definitely a heel striker
Honestly I would recommend popping into a running store and let someone look at your gait, bring some worn running shoes and they can look at the tread, and then recommend a shoe. A specialty running store, not a Dick’s or academy type big box retailer.

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
so decided to be not so fat anymore and joined OTF. Been running fine in my on cloud X shoes I've had for a while. i do have patellofemoral pain syndrome in both knees but the left especially. Decided to mix it up some with some cloudsurfers and cloudswift shoes and found my knees hurt a lot worse after wearing those. Would a shoe with more support really make my knees hurt more than a shoe with neutral support?
Do you pronate or supinate? Are all three shoes neutral? If any of those shoes are in the "support" category then that could be why.

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
It’s getting hot and spicy out there friends. 1hr run after work.
15’ warmup
4min hard, 2min easy
3min hard, 90sec easy
2min hard, 1min easy
1min hard, 30sec easy
1min jog
2x6min at half marathon pace, 2min easy in between.
Easy recovery for the remainder of the hour.

1329ECAA-0ED6-4D82-AB4E-AB2D675C6157.jpeg

Reactions: iLLt3ck

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
I've been doing a ton of night runs out here, and since it's a neighborhood deep in the mountains with no street lights and sparsely populated it's pitch fuckin black out here. I don't know why I love them so much but I really do, they're so peaceful and I feel like I'm the only person in the world when I'm out there with nothing but a flashlight. Anyways, last night I did one with a 1500 ft elevation change in the pouring sideways rain wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt with a weighted backpack because I'm a masochist, and it was phenomenal. I think I'm going to start incorporating some more weighted pack runs into my routine because it was definitely a good way to mix things up

Reactions: Asdf1

Asdf1

Oct 11, 2005
I've been doing a ton of night runs out here, and since it's a neighborhood deep in the mountains with no street lights and sparsely populated it's pitch fuckin black out here. I don't know why I love them so much but I really do, they're so peaceful and I feel like I'm the only person in the world when I'm out there with nothing but a flashlight. Anyways, last night I did one with a 1500 ft elevation change in the pouring sideways rain wearing a pair of shorts and a t-shirt with a weighted backpack because I'm a masochist, and it was phenomenal. I think I'm going to start incorporating some more weighted pack runs into my routine because it was definitely a good way to mix things up
inb4 get murked lol

some guy watching in the dark studying your route

• Haha
Reactions: Nom

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
About to start up again soon. My 7 month overtime excuse ends soon

Reactions: Asdf1

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor