CREW Running CREW v9

saabguy

Saab-free since 2013. Mortgage guru
OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
Loserville. Population: 1
My buddy had to tap out of his key west 100 miler yesterday at mile 69 and is beating himself up about it

this is a dude who won the fucking Iditarod and he still thinks he’s not good enough
What a pussy. My friend did that in 2018 and was drinking beer on the run and getting rained on the whole time.

Just kidding. Ultras are dumb tho.

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

Wolf

Slow Suicide's No Way To Go
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
My buddy had to tap out of his key west 100 miler yesterday at mile 69 and is beating himself up about it

this is a dude who won the fucking Iditarod and he still thinks he’s not good enough
IQV1aZZ.gif

• Angry
Reactions: mollywhop

Ffej207

University of South Florida... in West Central Flo
Dec 29, 2000
Charleston, SC
Finally ditched my minimalist shoes. I guess being old is finally catching up. Had (what felt like) achilles tendonitis after every run. Switched to Brooks Cloudsomething and it's improved quite a bit. :hsd:

Reactions: Wolf

mollywhop

🤙 Dick was moist as fuck 🤙
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Finally ditched my minimalist shoes. I guess being old is finally catching up. Had (what felt like) achilles tendonitis after every run. Switched to Brooks Cloudsomething and it's improved quite a bit. :hsd:
I’m a dork and have probably 2k in running shoes in my foyer right now but I always go back to my Hoka Arahi 5s after running in them almost exclusively the last couple months. I always find a new holy grail every 6 months or so though and I haven’t messed with Topos or Ons yet so those might be the next favorite if and when I end up giving them a shot

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
What a pussy. My friend did that in 2018 and was drinking beer on the run and getting rained on the whole time.

Just kidding. Ultras are dumb tho.
He’s in the process of doing a 100 miler in all 50 states and I think that was going to be 11 or 12…raising money for a charity which I where I met him so we all still donated anyways

I even asked him why he was straight up punishing himself with 90+ degrees and at least that much humidity heading into summer when he was already closer to like Colorado or the northeast and he said he wanted to push himself and see what he had in him. Guess he figured it out :rofl:

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
I’m a dork and have probably 2k in running shoes in my foyer right now but I always go back to my Hoka Arahi 5s after running in them almost exclusively the last couple months. I always find a new holy grail every 6 months or so though and I haven’t messed with Topos or Ons yet so those might be the next favorite if and when I end up giving them a shot
I've got my eyes on some Saucony Endorphin Speeds but running in Altra Escalante 2.5's atm

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
If they are minimalist + low or no drop that would explain the tendonitis. Glad you found shoes you like and I'm a big fan of Brooks

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
He’s in the process of doing a 100 miler in all 50 states and I think that was going to be 11 or 12…raising money for a charity which I where I met him so we all still donated anyways

I even asked him why he was straight up punishing himself with 90+ degrees and at least that much humidity heading into summer when he was already closer to like Colorado or the northeast and he said he wanted to push himself and see what he had in him. Guess he figured it out :rofl:
Fucked around —-> found out.

my friend said the keys 100 was a neat race. I just don’t know that I’d have any interest in “running” that far or that long.

running is stupid.

Ffej207

Dec 29, 2000
Charleston, SC

I had Ons for a season. If you run anywhere with gravel, you'll be taking quite a bit home with you. Other than the clicking from rocks getting stuck in them, I liked them and I still put quite a few miles on them.

Reactions: mollywhop

Ffej207

Dec 29, 2000
Charleston, SC
If they are minimalist + low or no drop that would explain the tendonitis. Glad you found shoes you like and I'm a big fan of Brooks

It's weird because when I started running again - had run through high school - I went straight into Vibrams. Since then (about 10 years), I've run on and off, but always in minimalist shoes - various Vibrams, Nike Free, Ons, NB Minimus, Merrell Vaporglove, etc. Just in the last year or so, I've started experiencing tendonitis after runs. I'm around the same weight and fitness level.. just crossed into my 40s. :crying:

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
I've got my eyes on some Saucony Endorphin Speeds but running in Altra Escalante 2.5's atm
never ran in Sauconys curious how they fit. I have to wear stability shoes so my options are kinda limited. I do have a pair of Escalanate 2 or 2.5s can't remember which that I use just to walk the dog and light jogs from time to time and they're great, wish the stability altra shoes weren't all so narrow

mollywhop

OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Fucked around —-> found out.

my friend said the keys 100 was a neat race. I just don’t know that I’d have any interest in “running” that far or that long.

running is stupid.
yeah I enjoy running but 100 mile ultras make me want to throw up just thinking of them, especially in humidity. I would rather run in 100 degree heat with no humidity than even 80 degree heat with 80-100% humidity so that one especially makes me want to puke. I don't think he did a specific race he basically has buddies in every state that scout out the routes for him and then set him up from there but maybe it's the same route, probably not that many options

Reactions: saabguy

saabguy

OT Supporter
Aug 11, 2003
I think my running form sucks. I was looking at some of the race photos that got released. It looks like when my back leg is coming forward, especially with my right leg, my right knee kind of dives inward. Which throws the bottom half of my leg outward. So it looks like my right foot is not coming straight ahead, it’s going outside first and swinging around. It’s not as dramatic a swing as I’m describing, it’s more subtle and I really only notice it in still shots or slow mo video. But it’s there.

7AC7A286-7934-47F2-B2C3-3032AEF0F3FC.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Simius The Monkey

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
Anybody else breathe through their nose and out through the mouth? There's absolutely no way I can breathe completely through the mouth since I live it extremely dry climate and would take 2 minutes before I'm dried out.

Nom

I'm the Golden God
OT Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
Anybody else breathe through their nose and out through the mouth? There's absolutely no way I can breathe completely through the mouth since I live it extremely dry climate and would take 2 minutes before I'm dried out.
I always tried through breathe through nose only. Sucks at first but you get used to it

nadroj

OT Supporter
Sep 2, 2004
Houston
went to a shoe store and bought some hoka bondi 7s. stood on their little scale and it told me i was fat and have a high arch. gave me 4 shoes to choose from and these felt like i was slipping my foot into fresh kolache. fuck these things look like some dumb fucking grandpa shoes.

RUNNERSHIGH_1110518-OBPB_3_1200x1200.jpg

but after a 2.5 mile run, my feet feel good afterwards and no pain. was 1.5 in and the sun zapped me hard. got hot quick and decided that was enough

• Haha
Reactions: iLLt3ck and Wolf

Wolf

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
went to a shoe store and bought some hoka bondi 7s. stood on their little scale and it told me i was fat and have a high arch. gave me 4 shoes to choose from and these felt like i was slipping my foot into fresh kolache. fuck these things look like some dumb fucking grandpa shoes.

RUNNERSHIGH_1110518-OBPB_3_1200x1200.jpg

but after a 2.5 mile run, my feet feel good afterwards and no pain. was 1.5 in and the sun zapped me hard. got hot quick and decided that was enough
:hmm: $200 on Amazon. Are they worth the 2x price over Asics or Brooks? 🤔

Wolf

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
They were 140 out of the door with a $15 off coupon. The others I tried on were 110-150 (ASICS, brooks, mizuno, hoka)and I just picked whatever felt best
Nice, yeah I see them on FleetFeet's site for $150. The Cliftons look good too. I guess the Bondi is the ultra cushioned and the Clifton is slightly less. :dunno:
May have to go to a store and try them on.

Wolf

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
Went to a store today to try on some Hokas... tried the Bandi and some other model the sales guy suggested (not Clifton). Didn't really like either. Ended up with a pair of Glycerin 19s to replace my Glycerin 18s. 😂 $167 for the same thing I already have.

Was kinda bummed that they were the shoes thst felt best. Was hoping for some miracle shoe, but I guess I already have my ideal. 😕

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor