GUN ruptured primers???

dec_a21

Jan 25, 2006
South Dakota
anybody have any experience with rimfire primers rupturing when fired. had my henry hmr out this morning, fired about 225 through it. had two that spooked me a little - pull the trigger and feel hot pwder blowing back past the hammer into my face - glad i had the saftey glasses on. inspected those 2 cases and both are split open around the edge of the primer. shooting cci 17gr v-max

TS
TS

dec_a21

Jan 25, 2006
South Dakota
no the other rounds look good. i probably have close to 2500 rnds through this rifle and this is the 1st time ive ever seen this. did it twice today in 200 rnds. i really dont know maybe bad lot of rnds.

Fire Sauce

Dec 21, 2003
Hilton Head Island, SC
dec_a21 said:
no the other rounds look good. i probably have close to 2500 rnds through this rifle and this is the 1st time ive ever seen this. did it twice today in 200 rnds. i really dont know maybe bad lot of rnds.
sounds like it. It's rimfire, I would just toss the rest of that box unless you shot it all already.

Aequitas

If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.
Oct 3, 2005
Florida
Call the company and let them know. Offer to send them the casings, if you still have them. Maybe they'll send you a coupon or something.

Soybomb

Aug 30, 2003
Illinois
In centerfire a flattened or blown primer usually means an over pressure round. I've never heard of it happening to a rim fire but I'd think the same is plausible. I'd call the manu and see what they say, you might get a coupon, and get rid of the rest. Its not worth it to risk a gun for a few bucks of ammo.

TS
TS

dec_a21

Jan 25, 2006
South Dakota
told cci they say its from the firing pin being to sharp and actually cutting the brass. I dont know though, approx 2500 rnds no problem then 2 of 200 yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor