Salt water + car keys = gneh? & whatdoido?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by paintbalesf, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. paintbalesf

    paintbalesf New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    0
    So I was at the beach today. Ran into the water, and played volleyball/cath with some friends for about 20-30 mins (can't remember exactly). As I started to head back to the back, I felt a lump in my pants. Great, that's my phone! Oh, and what's that, my keys too! God, I'm such an idiot.

    Anyway, the phones toast, according to online sources (it's dead after about 2 mins, and even sooner if it was on, which it was). But the keys are still good, apparently. I was able to open my ccar with them.

    I got home a couple hours later, washed out the circuitry fully, dried it out with a hair dryer on low heat, and made sure there was no water left under the microchip (which there was...I had to blow it out repeatedly and dry it off). It seems mostly dry, so I'm going to wait a few hours just for good measure. However, I noticed that on one corner of the key's board, there is a little bit of white crusty stuff (corrosion?) on one of the circuits (or w/e those little things are). I tried removing some of it, but there's still some.

    Should I wait to put the battery back in and get that stuff looked at? Or should I test it out? (or should I *gulp* fork over the 50 bucks to get a new one)?

    thanks
     
  2. Keyzs

    Keyzs OT Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2003
    Messages:
    814
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Charlotte, MI
    DO NOT PUT THE BATTERY BACK! Wait, at least overnight. Don't mess with it, just leave it and let it dry.

    The phone may not be a loss. I dropped my old phone into the pacific one day, took 10 minutes to get it out. Removed the battery, took it home washed it with clean water let it sit for 2 days. And it still works 2 years later.

    The key is to let them completly dry out before putting the battery back in.
     
  3. keleko

    keleko yes, he is

    Joined:
    May 22, 2005
    Messages:
    28,741
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    lauderhill, fl
    the white is salt

    rinse off with bottled water, dry with hairdryer, hope it still works
     
  4. crashspeeder

    crashspeeder Interesting Title

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Messages:
    2,776
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Bergen County, NJ
    phone shouldn't be a loss. my little cousin (6 months at the time) decided to suck on my stepdad's phone and it stopped working for a week. a week later after it had dried and everybody took it for dead it started working again. history repeated itself with my aunt's phone later that year. while it's not saltwater it's still a similar story.

    both should be fine if you just let them sit.
     

Share This Page