GUN Savage 10FP

VipZ28

OT's resident Solar and Home Battery guy, I guess?
OT Supporter
Jun 10, 2004
Pearland, Texas
So I've been a die hard Remington guy for a while when it comes to bolt actions, but from what i've seen out of the Savage's out of the box performance recently, I want one. Any one here have any experience with them? Advice? Links to websites about them, etc?

TS
TS
VipZ28

VipZ28

OT's resident Solar and Home Battery guy, I guess?
OT Supporter
Jun 10, 2004
Pearland, Texas
I have a 110 in 30-06. I :love: that rifle.

I'm looking for a .308 w/o sites and a 20" barrel, so the 10FP seems to be the rifle for me out of the box:

10fp_sala.jpg

Law Enforcement Series
Model 10FP – with AccuTrigger™
Action
Short
Caliber
308 Win
Overall Length
44"
Barrel Length
20" in 308 Win only
Weight
8.5 lbs
Magazine Capacity
4 rounds
Stock
Black synthetic with positive checkering, dual pillar bedding
Sights
Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
Rifling Rate of Twist
308 Win (1 in 10")
Features
AccuTrigger™, matte blued barreled action, heavy free-floating and button-rifled barrel with internal box magazine and swivel stud for bipod, oversized bolt handle
Suggested Retail
$678.00

Cannondale

The Texas Rattlesnake
Apr 17, 2007
Austin, TX
I considered getting one of these if I hadn't wanted a lighter hunting rifle. I bought a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 instead. I shot one of these once and it was plenty accurate with factory match loads, handloads would have been even better.

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
they do shoot very well out of the box. a lot of people bitch about the factory stock though. ours has a factory stock and it still put three rounds into one inch.

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
I got a newer one and it took about 10secs to adjust down to 2lbs

Cannondale

The Texas Rattlesnake
Apr 17, 2007
Austin, TX
I got a newer one and it took about 10secs to adjust down to 2lbs

Interesting. My brother is looking at entry level rifles and I told him to avoid a 700 SPS because of all the negative comments I heard about adjusting the X-mark trigger. I told him to get a Weatherby Vanguard because I knew they can be adjusted down to around 2 lbs easily. My Tikka T3 didn't even require me to take the stock off. It's not quite as easy as the Accutrigger to adjust (You have to drop the magazine in the Tikka), but the Tikka trigger breaks clean with little movement.

Landfill

Jun 7, 2008
Connecticut
I had a 10FP in .308 20in barrel, sold it, wish I never did, the accuracy was amazing and I loved the trigger not to mention overall they are very inexpensive to obtain.

phrozenlikwid

Jul 13, 2007
NKY
Do you have a Remmy that you are unhappy with the performance of, or are you just wanting to get a new gun?

I've done the Savage thing, and still prefer 700's FWIW.

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
Interesting. My brother is looking at entry level rifles and I told him to avoid a 700 SPS because of all the negative comments I heard about adjusting the X-mark trigger. I told him to get a Weatherby Vanguard because I knew they can be adjusted down to around 2 lbs easily. My Tikka T3 didn't even require me to take the stock off. It's not quite as easy as the Accutrigger to adjust (You have to drop the magazine in the Tikka), but the Tikka trigger breaks clean with little movement.

Pretty much all you have to do for the 700 is take off the two bolts that connect it to the stock pull it out and adjust the allen screw in the front.

Keep backing it out close the bolt see if the firing pin stays cocked and when it drops back it out another 1/2turn put blue locktite and put it back together

Mine already has zero pre travel and over travel so those didn't need to be adjusted

Hooch

Apr 25, 2007
Here is my semi cheapo Savage 10FP with a Douglas barrel, Saturday I shot sub 3 inch groups at 300 with the following recipe, LC LR brass, Federal large rifle primers, 43.2 grains of IMR 4064 powder pushing Sierra Matchking 168's. I had about 40 rounds of Remington 180 gr. core lok I shot at the same distance and it looked like a shotgun pattern, I would probly say 6-8 inch groups at 300 with the Remington, the above recipe is on par with Federal Match. I'm running a crappy Super Sniper optic with side parallax and an EGW mount and a B&C medalist stock, decent little gun for what it cost to put it together.

10fpuu7.jpg

vwpilot

Jan 9, 2005
I have one with the HS Precision stock and had the barrel cut to 20" and threaded for my upcoming suppressor.

I used it this weekend at a precision rifle course at Tactical Response. Worked great. Nothing like ringing an iron maiden at 730 yards on the first shot. I never saw the hits since it was way too far through the scope, but the spotter said the first two hits were basically touching and the third was probably only an inch or so away.

Now, I'm certainly not saying that I could do that every time as other groups dont nearly suggest that kind of accuracy out of me or the gun, but it was rather satisfying and the spotter was just shaking his head saying great shots.

My gun seems to really like Federal Gold Medal Match. I've tried a few others through it including some Black Hills match and some prvi stuff which is cheap and sometimes had a hard time holding sub moa groups. But the Federal seemed to really shine in my particular gun. If I did my job, sub MOA groups were easily the norm for this gun this past weekend.

I did have a couple hiccups with the Accutrigger though. On a few occasions I would start to move the little accutrigger thinging on the front of the trigger and it would click and freeze not allowing for any trigger pull. I would have to reset the bolt and it would then work. Not sure what the issue is, but might have a smith check it out. Didnt ultimately cause any real issue, but if you were needing to take a shot right then you wouldnt be happy as you'd have to lift the bolt and put it back down to make it function.

Still like the rifle and the Accutrigger simply blows away the X-mark in the Remmy. I have both and the Savage trigger is much much nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor