School me on appliances - fridge, A/C condenser, washer, and dryer

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
The wife and me just bought our first house, closing is in 30 days. We've never bought appliances in our lives and need to buy an AC condenser, fridge, washer, and dryer.

I checked out the NYTimes Wirecutter and they suggested these:

Washer - LG WM3900H - https://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WM3900HBA-front-load-washer
Dryer - LG DLEX3900 - https://www.lg.com/us/dryers/lg-DLEX3900B-electric-dryer
Fridge - Maytag MFI2570FEZ - https://www.maytag.com/kitchen/refr...h-powercold-feature-25-cu.-ft.mfi2570fez.html

The washer and drier are $1200 a piece :wtf:. Fucking $2400 for a washer and dryer? Y'all got any recs or places to read up on this shit? And for a fridge, fucking $2299.

Humble brag, but we have the $ to spend and buy all 3 without issue, I just don't wanna spend that much. Maybe I don't understand why a washer and dryer cost $1200 and what goes into them to make em so expensive. Similarly for the fridge.

Any of y'all know about buying A/C condensers as well? The house has central heat, the ducts and shit are all fine to add central A/C so we need to buy a condenser as well, but can wait till Jan-Feb as it's winter now. Should we just do that with the HVAC folks or buy it on our own?

Would love everyone's input and advice.

Nov 28 update:
Decided to go with this fridge - https://www.bosch-home.com/us/produ...ge-freezers-with-freezer-at-bottom/B36CT80SNS

Last edited:

Thumpin'Ram

I'll level with you. These bags weren't designed f
Jul 15, 2001
Goodbye mailbox
Those prices sound reasonable. You can probably do the washer/dryer for cheaper, but the fridge seems very reasonable

Dazed1

OT Supporter
Dec 30, 2005
Bay area
I just bought a pair of GE washer/dryer (about 3 months ago). So far so good. Cleans clothes well.
Also had to buy a dishwasher. Bosch on back order till January. Ended up with a Miele https://www.mieleusa.com/e/built-under-dishwasher-g-7106-scu-clean-touch-steel-11387580-p

Keep in mind, currently a lot of appliances and big items are delayed due to reduction in work force. So you might be waiting for a while. It took about 1.5 months for the washer/dryer. We picked the Miele because it was in stock. Bosch at most places is on back order till end of January.

TS
TS
majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
I just bought a pair of GE washer/dryer (about 3 months ago). So far so good. Cleans clothes well.
Also had to buy a dishwasher. Bosch on back order till January. Ended up with a Miele https://www.mieleusa.com/e/built-under-dishwasher-g-7106-scu-clean-touch-steel-11387580-p

Keep in mind, currently a lot of appliances and big items are delayed due to reduction in work force. So you might be waiting for a while. It took about 1.5 months for the washer/dryer. We picked the Miele because it was in stock. Bosch at most places is on back order till end of January.
Shit, didn't consider that. Guess we'll buy em now and hope they arrive in time. Thanks for the head up.
:hug:

TS
TS
majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
Don't buy a goddamn thing on a credit card until AFTER you close.

Hmm, agree with you there. Any particular reason we shouldn't buy with a CC? Shit could go awry, but if we buy on CC we can return them. My concern is moving into a house without a fridge. Washer and dryer we can live without.

For the house, inspection is done. We're pending finalizing our closing, title, and earnest money.

Wolf

devastatingly foppish
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
One piece of advice... they will also try to sell you an add-on "base" for the washer and dryer. They're gonna be a couple hundred $ extra... get them. The bases are essentially required, but sold as an option. When my folks bought their W/D several years back, we tried to save money by building a set of bases. No good. They wobbled. Eventually just paid the money and bought the right pieces.

Reactions: majesty

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
One piece of advice... they will also try to sell you an add-on "base" for the washer and dryer. They're gonna be a couple hundred $ extra... get them. The bases are essentially required, but sold as an option. When my folks bought their W/D several years back, we tried to save money by building a set of bases. No good. They wobbled. Eventually just paid the money and bought the right pieces.

$300 each for the ones paired with mine, didn't buy them worked just fine with out

Weapon X

Sep 5, 2001
Hmm, agree with you there. Any particular reason we shouldn't buy with a CC? Shit could go awry, but if we buy on CC we can return them. My concern is moving into a house without a fridge. Washer and dryer we can live without.

For the house, inspection is done. We're pending finalizing our closing, title, and earnest money.

It can throw off your DTI and stop you from closing. Regular credit card purchases like food, clothing, etc are fine, but no big ticket items.

TS
TS
majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
It can throw off your DTI and stop you from closing. Regular credit card purchases like food, clothing, etc are fine, but no big ticket items.

We have 0 debt at the moment and pay our CC bill in full every month. I saw BestBuy had 18mos 0% interest CC and figured we'd do utilize that for the appliances. Could that still mess shit up? I should probably ask our mortgage rep...

silver60

OT Supporter
May 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
I'm not sure how you can buy a home if the a/c is not working that would kill the deal in Texas, meaning the mortgage company would not allow the loan to close, are you sure you can close with it fucked up...................also, you need to find out what refrigerant it's on, if it's the old stuff, you're going to be replacing the entire system somewhere between $10k and $20k which again, would be something I'd make the seller replace or drop price for

Reactions: stevezissou

silver60

OT Supporter
May 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
We have 0 debt at the moment and pay our CC bill in full every month. I saw BestBuy had 18mos 0% interest CC and figured we'd do utilize that for the appliances. Could that still mess shit up? I should probably ask our mortgage rep...

never fucking EVER buy shit before closing on a CC, do not apply for a fucking god damned BB credit card either don't finance a car don't do a fucking thing with your credit prior to closing on the house, for fucks sake

Reactions: Dazed1 and majesty
TS
TS
majesty

majesty

OT Supporter
Jun 6, 2003
🌍
I'm not sure how you can buy a home if the a/c is not working that would kill the deal in Texas, meaning the mortgage company would not allow the loan to close, are you sure you can close with it fucked up...................also, you need to find out what refrigerant it's on, if it's the old stuff, you're going to be replacing the entire system somewhere between $10k and $20k which again, would be something I'd make the seller replace or drop price for
It's a house built in the early 1900's and we live in the PNW, so it's common for homes not to have A/C out here. It has central heating so we can just add A/C and use the existing ducting and all. I'm not sure about the finer details about A/C and heat being separate units and what not.

Last edited:

silver60

OT Supporter
May 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
It's a house built in 1904 and we live in the PNW, so it's common for homes not to have A/C out here. It has central heating so we can just add A/C and use the existing ducting and all. I'm not sure about the finer details about A/C and heat being separate units and what not.

K that's fine, you'll consult an AC company for that it's not an appliance so that's a whole different ordeal, they'll potentially recommend a minisplit on a house that old depending on how the ducting is currently (especially how many returns are already plumbed) I won't get into details as a professional needs to come to the home to advise properly.

• Love
Reactions: majesty

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6