GUN School me on DITY moves

fooj

OT Supporter
Aug 30, 2002
Philly
I'm pretty solid on most of the process, but the lady giving the brief was all over the place. I'm stationed in Washington with my home of record being in New Jersey so I have that total distance of freedom to move wherever I want. I plan on going to college in Texas. Now my original plan was to drive through Colorado Springs to visit my brother and then continue to Texas. The lady says you make your money by weight and miles, and the government only cares about your departure and arrival location. So having a friend in San Diego who I've been meaning to see would it be ok to travel down the west coast, cut over to CO, then down to TX as long as I was under my HOR mileage?

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
They will put your starting and ending locations on your paperwork with the milage that they will pay for. It won't just be your HOR, it will be what you put on the paperwork as your ending point.

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
Oh wait, is this your final DITY? If so then it will be your HOR for the ending point.

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
Ok, yea it will just be miles to HOR and you can go where ever you want. It doesn't matter if you go over either, I did, they just won't pay you for over milage. How are you moving your stuff?

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
Yea, that's what I did. Driving that much is gonna suck though, especially if you really load it up. Just make sure you get receipts for EVERYTHING and make copies before you send it back to transportation. They "lost" my stuff so I had to resend it.

TS
TS

fooj

OT Supporter
Aug 30, 2002
Philly
Ok about weighing the U-Haul with the trailer. The way I understand doing it is to weigh the U-Haul pulling the trailer (both empty) onto the scale, then loading my shit into the U-Haul and my car on the trailer and weighing it again. Right?

TS
TS

fooj

OT Supporter
Aug 30, 2002
Philly
Yea I know a guy on Ft Lewis that is pretty helpful I just figured I'd ask here first. And you don't have to stop at weigh stations on the way right?

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
Yea I know a guy on Ft Lewis that is pretty helpful I just figured I'd ask here first. And you don't have to stop at weigh stations on the way right?

Also ask your transportation office if they have a list of weigh scales in your area. Weigh, load, weigh again and then go. Get the receipts for the cost of the weighing, you get that back too.

Phionoxx

OT Supporter
May 2, 2007
Minnesota
as others have said, specific gas stations have the scales you need. look for places with big yellow CAT scales signs, one chain that always has them is Pilot Travel Centers.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan