EDU SRS Science ish dump thread

TS
TS
Grape_Ape

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A
So Kathe and team modeled the process in mice and used a combination of RNA sequencing and spatial transcriptomics – a technique that allows scientists to measure and map gene activity in specific tissues – to understand which cells were doing what.

They identified a single population of previously unknown neurons that can step up to take over after an injury, found within the intermediate laminae of the lumbar spinal cord.

This tissue, made up of cells called SCVsx2::Hoxa10 neurons, don't appear to be needed for walking in healthy animals, but they seem to be essential for recovering after a spinal injury, as destroying them prevented mice from recovering. Their recruitment is, however, activity dependent.

Reactions: Twinsen and HUGE

smell my finger

strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,
Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
would be helpful if you also post something to qualify the legitimacy/rigor of the news reports you post

like, I have no idea, off hand, if sciencealert.com is a legit site, but it sounds click-baity af

smell my finger

Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
U r just the worst
I mean cool, sure a website posted it so it's legit

but looks like sciencealert seems like a decent source

Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY

mollywhop

🤙 Dick was moist as fuck 🤙
OT Supporter
Feb 13, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
I mean cool, sure a website posted it so it's legit

Look man I don’t have a personal issue with you or anything but this constant contrarian trolling shtick that you have is really tiring and it isn’t something to where anybody is taking you seriously or anything so I don’t see what you get out of it. Obviously do whatever you want nobody cares it’s a dying Internet forum but a little self-awareness would do you well here

Reactions: michael

smell my finger

Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
Look man I don’t have a personal issue with you or anything but this constant contrarian shtick that you have is really tiring and it isn’t something to where anybody is taking you seriously or anything so I don’t see what you get out of it. Obviously do whatever you want nobody cares it’s a dying Internet forum but a little self-awareness would do you well here

honestly not trying to be contrarian here, but is it too much to suggest that we introduce some low bar of credibility into a thread dedicated to science?

DoucheBag

OT Supporter
Aug 14, 2003
Miami Fl.
honestly not trying to be contrarian here, but is it too much to suggest that we introduce some low bar of credibility into a thread dedicated to science?
you were clearly capable of easily researching its credibility on your own. also, no amount of credibility is going to matter to a person that would read one article about a topic and consider themselves informed.

Reactions: Good Ol' Gil
TS
TS
Grape_Ape

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A
would be helpful if you also post something to qualify the legitimacy/rigor of the news reports you post

like, I have no idea, off hand, if sciencealert.com is a legit site, but it sounds click-baity af
At the end of the article it links to the research fyi

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
most of my science videos are PBS eons, space time, or lectures on geology

this one is pretty interesting. just happens to be what i'm going through now :o cool what you can learn these days about the timing of mountain uplift

the tetons have moved upwards a maximum of 3.1 km (~10,000') over the past 10 million years. total movement on the teton fault is something like 12 km. just huge :bowdown:

oh, and the yellowstone hotspot has obliterated the northern portion of the teton mountains, since the mountains have been rising for 10 Ma and the hotspot blew through over the last 2 Ma

RIP northern Tetons

TS
TS
Grape_Ape

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A

This is a truly remarkable and incredibly significant study. It demonstrates that after death, cells in mammalian organs (including humans) such as the brain do not die for many hours. This is well into the post-mortem period," Dr. Sam Parnia, an associate professor of critical care medicine and director of critical care and resuscitation research at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, told the Science Media Centre in London.

Reactions: Good Ol' Gil
TS
TS
Grape_Ape

Grape_Ape

OT Supporter
Sep 1, 2003
The A

Located approximately 3 billion light-years from Earth, the mysterious structure appears to be a large cluster of galaxies drawn together by a shared center of gravity. Using observations from the VVV Survey — a survey that studies the Milky Way's central bulge at infrared wavelengths using the Visible and Infrared Survey Telescope for Astronomy in Chile — the study authors found evidence of at least 58 galaxies bundled together in a small plot of the zone of avoidance.

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
I have a great referral.
It comes out every year, and deals in a wide range of science, breakthroughs, and technology.
I have the following from the LA public library

The best american science and nature writing 2015​

Reactions: Kafka

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman